SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-17, 06:31 AM   #121
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Mod updated!

Emergency Bugfix Update: July 4, 2017
  • Fixed the broken Russian weapon sprites.
  • Added wire guidance back to the USET 80 torpedo.
  • Dialed back the stats of the 212A, it was really overpowered. (SelfNoise changed from 25 to 70, ActiveSonarReflection changed from 4 to 15)
  • Dialed back the stats of the Seehecht torpedo, it was really overpowered. (Range reduced from 75,000 to 55,000)

New Playable Subs & More - A Mod For Cold Waters

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

"We'll settle this the old Navy way... the first guy to die loses!"
CaptainX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 06:43 AM   #122
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

It wasn`t made for a `84 scenario... you only made it unrealistic now. As of today it is "virtually undetectable" (quote). Even for todays standards. It simply is one of the quietest submarines ever built.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 07:58 AM   #123
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainX3 View Post
Mod updated!

• Dialed back the stats of the Seehecht torpedo, it was really overpowered. (Range reduced from 75,000 to 55,000)
USET-80 torpedo have not wire guide. Variant USET-80 with wire-guidede named UETT and release in 1990th years. Torp USET-80 and USET-80K have not wire.

About German "DM-2A3" and export variant "Seahake" you can read this: http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-20-00000051-000-20-0#022
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 09:28 AM   #124
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Thank you, but the wire guidance was requested to be added to the USET 80 by the community back when I first released the mod. The game wasn't actually designed for people to play as the Russians, and as such all of the Russian equipment is at a severe disadvantage within the game.

I'll be making changes to the mod here and there that aren't 100% realistic but are needed for gameplay fun and/or balance. We've got several subs in the mod that came out way after 1984, along with weapons that aren't 100% accurate. I have to make a choice between realism and gameplay, so I can't always be 100% realistic.

Old 07-04-17, 09:29 AM   #125
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

MrBboy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 03:04 AM   #126
CowabungaKid89
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardDriver View Post

I tried to make it as realistic as possible and did a lot of testing. You can still detect the 212A with active sonar, as can be seen in the duels. The sub is kind of balanced out in the campaign with the low ammo count (only 13 torps) and the low speed (20 knots is official, but I would say 23 at least is realistic, maybe even 25).

At long range of the Seehecht just achived the world record for a torpedo with about 140 km acutually! So 75 km for the normal variant is ok. Also the sub needs to be played like that: hide and attack from pretty long range, and the Seehecht is good for that (but it is slower than the Mk 48 for sure).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining about the stats.
In the end, it's all speculation anyway. If about half of what is said about the 212 A is true, I guess it would be pretty much undetectable in 1984. The problem is it's not very engaging to play it as it is; some enemy subs weren't able to detect me on active at under 2 KYD distance. I have never been in danger in this submarine. Just fire your 13 torpedoes at enemies who never see them coming, go back to base to rearm, rinse, repeat.

Quote:
Dialed back the stats of the 212A, it was really overpowered. (SelfNoise changed from 25 to 70, ActiveSonarReflection changed from 4 to 15)
Considering the stats of the other newer subs like the Seawolf, I think 70 and 15 are too high - that makes it easier to detect than the Seawolf, which sits at 56 and 15. Considering the difference in size alone, the 212 A should be harder to detect on active and I think it should be harder on passive as well. I'll play around a bit on 30/35 and 10, I think
CowabungaKid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 04:26 AM   #127
Deepmoc
Sailor man

Downloads: 45

I heared Crew voices at 1.04.. Ar they from the Mod or the Game?
With now 1.05 there are away.. Depends on zhe Mod?

What is up here
Deepmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 09:06 AM   #128
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

I didn't balance the changes to the 212A against the Seawolf, I balanced it against the 688i that I designed myself, which sits at 100 and 25. I might need to reconsider accepting contributions of new subs to the mod, because I'm not sure I have enough time to balance out every class that comes in... either that, or require that contributions be balanced against the 688i that already exists in the mod.

I do know that in my tests with the Red October, any self noise rating of 20 or below is almost impossible to detect on US sonars, and is impossible for Russian sonars. If you make a sub with a self noise below that, it's very unlikely the enemy will detect you unless you do something to reveal your position, like use active sonar or surface.

Crew voices are part of the game, not any mod. I'm not aware of them being removed anytime recently, and I'm on the 1.05 beta version.

Old 07-05-17, 09:28 AM   #129
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

Code:
Crew voices are disabled by default in version 1.05b.
To enable them simply open default/hud/default.txt and change LogVoiceVolume=0 to a value between 0-1 for volume.
From the 1.05b patch notes
Old 07-05-17, 12:34 PM   #130
Farside
Sparky

Brilliant, so happy i get to play as all these different nations now. Thanks!

Torpedo Problems? Check out my thread for FAQ\'s and running depths!
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 12:43 PM   #131
wstlndwarrior
Swabbie

Downloads: 153
Default Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainX3 View Post
The Playable Russian Subs Mod

This mod aims to add some playable Russian subs to the game, along with a few other tweaks and changes.

Here's the link to the zip file... simply unzip the override folder into Steam\SteamApps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets and then run the game.

http://www.nscmod.com/downloads/RussianSubs.zip or http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5234

If you'd like to talk to me directly, or send me files to add to the mod, the best way is to join the CW Discord server here: https://discord.gg/caD9q9c

SPECIAL NOTE: I am completely open to adding any other mod to this one to make it easier for users to play with the mods they love without a lot of hassle. However, in order to add another mod to this one, I must receive the explicit permission of the mod author before doing so. If you would like me to add someone else's mod to this one, send me a PM here or contact me via Steam and I'll check into it. Be aware that if an author says no, that's the end of it - I will NOT steal someone else's work to put it into this mod.

I am also happy to add any single missions to this mod under the same guidelines, and I'll incorporate them into the mission list properly.

Mod Features
  • Playable Subs Added:
    • USA
    • Los Angeles 688i Class SSN
    • Seawolf Class SSN
    • Ohio Class SSBN
    • Ohio Class SSGN (Conversion)
    • Guppy IIa Class SS
    • Tang Class SS
    • Barbel (Early) Class SS
    • Barbel Class SS

Japan
    • Yushio Class SS

Germany
    • Type 212 Class SSN

Russia
    • Foxtrot Class SS
    • Kilo Class SS
    • Romeo Class SS
    • Tango Class SS
    • Whiskey Class SS
    • November Class SSN
    • Victor I Class SSN
    • Victor II Class SSN
    • Victor III Class SSN
    • Alfa Class SSN
    • Sierra Class SSN
    • Typhoon Class SSBN
    • Typhoon Class SSGN (Conversion)
    • Yankee Class SSBN
    • Delta III Class SSBN
    • Delta IV Class SSBN
    • Juliet Class SSG
    • Charlie I Class SSGN
    • Charlie II Class SSGN
    • Echo II Class SSGN
    • Oscar Class SSGN
    • Experimental Typhoon Class SSBN "Red October" (Silent Drive)
    • Experimental Typhoon Class SSBN "Red October" (Conventional Drive)
  • New Weapons
  • New Single Missions
  • New Sensors
  • "Red" Russian UI for Russian subs
  • Unique Damage Control images for the new subs
  • Unique sonar profiles for all US submarines
  • Working VLS systems for appropriate classes
  • Various other tweaks and fixes

• Fixed the broken Russian weapon sprites.
  • Dialed back the stats of the 212A, it was really overpowered. (SelfNoise changed from 25 to 70, ActiveSonarReflection changed from 4 to 15)

Latest Update: July 3, 2017
  • Added visible Periscope, ESM, and Radar mast models for some of the classes. (See the Progress Report below.) SPECIAL NOTE: Most classes will require you to be at a depth of 40ft or less for the masts to break the surface.
  • New Class: Seawolf Class (USA) - Submitted by LeopardDriver
  • New Class: Type 212 Class SS (Germany) - Submitted by LeopardDriver
  • New Class: Tang Class SS (USA) - Submitted by Carthaginian
  • 3 New Single Missions
  • Complete overhaul the entire Single Missions list to make more organizational sense.
  • Complete overhaul of all single missions and the campaigns so that only period-appropriate subs are available. (Let me know if I missed anything please)
  • Fixed a bug where the Kilo propeller was not positioned properly on the model.
  • Fixed the bug with the Red October breaking the campaign.

Progress Report: Visible Masts
The following subs are now equipped with 3D visible masts. This is a work in progress and is very time consuming, but eventually all classes will have working masts. New classes will be added with each mod update.
  • Kilo Class SS
  • Los Angeles 688i Class SSN (Complete)
  • Seawolf Class SSN
  • Victor I Class SSN
  • Victor II Class SSN
  • Victor III Class SSN
  • Alfa Class SSN
  • Typhoon Class SSGN (Conversion)
  • Ohio Class SSGN (Conversion)
  • Ohio Class SSBN
  • Typhoon Class SSBN
  • Experimental Typhoon Class SSBN "Red October" (Silent Drive)
  • Experimental Typhoon Class SSBN "Red October" (Conventional Drive)

Known Bugs
  • There is nothing I can do about the Typhoon class being above the water when at periscope depth - I've been told that depth is hardcoded and can't be changed.
  • The Oscar's and Victor's bow planes move opposite they way they're supposed to. I can't fix this one.
  • When switching between the US and Russian VLS equipped subs, a "Vertical Launch System" text error appears near the torpedo tube display. This error repeats itself each time you switch subs. I cannot find a fix for it at this time. Closing the game and restarting will remove the error, or refrain from switching between US and Russian subs during the same game session for the time being.
  • A lot of the new classes use repeated damage control images, it'll take me some time to make all new ones for every class.

Special Thanks
  • Special Thanks to Ramius for figuring out how to make the masts work on the new classes!
  • Special Thanks to General Giap for sending me the files for tons of new classes, along with all of the things required to put them into the game. He saved me a ton of time and work and I am really grateful!
  • Special thanks to Jace11 for providing the Russian weapon sprites! Things look so much better now in the Russian UI.
  • Special thanks to scbypwr for providing the base coding for the US Sea Lance weapon.
Just wanted to say...I watched hunt for red october again since playing this game. I noticed your mod for the silent drive sub only allows for 13 kts. In the film Sean Connery's character asked the navigator to recompute for 26kts with the silent drive engaged. I just was wondering if that was taken into consideration. Also when you go to periscope depth your conning tower breaches. It's near suicidal to raise anything or go to 50 ft. Great MOD though!
wstlndwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 01:28 PM   #132
goldfish716
Sailor man

Downloads: 14

I just want to say thanks to CaptainX3 for helping other users add content to the game. I would rather have unbalanced ships than turn away new contributions. I know your time is valuable. If you post a bitcoin or other crypto address I will happily tip you for the effort.
goldfish716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 02:38 PM   #133
Mitchmaker
Sonar Operator

Downloads: 71

a Playable 212A ??? my god thats my baby, i love those boats....a hell to live on but a nightmare for everyone who was trying to hunt us.

thanks so much for that ....
Old 07-05-17, 02:53 PM   #134
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchmaker View Post
a Playable 212A ??? my god thats my baby, i love those boats....a hell to live on but a nightmare for everyone who was trying to hunt us.

thanks so much for that ....
My pleasure! And CaptainX3 and me are working out a viable place for it in the game. Also I will keep improving and updating it. Working masts will be next, also the signature picture and may an individual repair stations picture.

Glad to hear you like it, I love the 212, too!

LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 04:58 PM   #135
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstlndwarrior View Post
Just wanted to say...I watched hunt for red october again since playing this game. I noticed your mod for the silent drive sub only allows for 13 kts. In the film Sean Connery's character asked the navigator to recompute for 26kts with the silent drive engaged. I just was wondering if that was taken into consideration. Also when you go to periscope depth your conning tower breaches. It's near suicidal to raise anything or go to 50 ft. Great MOD though!
Hehe watch the movie again... Sean Connery actually said "Recompute for 26 knots, and engage the propellers". This scene was right after the Caterpillar drive failed due to sabotage.

According to both lore and Wikipedia, the max speed of the Red October is 27 knots, about half that for the silent drive.

Also, there's nothing I can do about the conning tower on the Typhoon breaching the surface. The devs say periscope depth is hardcoded, it can't be changed by us modders. They never intended the Typhoon to be playable, so that's why it does that. I'm afraid we're stuck with it.