Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-20, 09:45 AM   #3256
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Sanford View Post
[...] Luckily, the kids share my enthusiasm when it comes to simulations. While I dig subsims, they prefer truck sims, just imagine that.
Well having driven trucks myself (if only for a short time) i am more for sub- und aviation sims

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 11:40 AM   #3257
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Having replaced my roof and gutters under two years ago, ash from great fires, leaves and new shingle grit caused gutter-downspout blockage ; usually during heavy downpours, requiring me on the roof with an improvised broom handle tool...at great hazard to my wellbeing given my age and the gravity of the 'gabled' slippery slope, ie: falling off the roof which has happened to two carpenters I know...and they were professionals So today, the gutterman is installing metal-mesh gutter guards on all the gutters and a remedial downspout for an unlevel gutter that overflows in deluges. I'll paint that later.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-18-20 at 12:29 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 12:08 PM   #3258
GWX Player
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

Hello. I'm new here (since last week) and not quite sure if I'm doing this posting messages things correctly. My real life job has gone virtual for the time being--work from home.

I've gotten back into playing Silent Hunter III (mainly GWX but also WAC and LSH). Lots of time to play and no place to go right now with the pandemic going on.

I've spent most of my time trying to run mods, tweaking things, and avoiding crash to desktop issues instead of actually playing a campaign. I'm sure that I am not the only one who spends most of the time fiddling with mods ( trying to add/rearrange newly discovered ones) instead of actually playing the game.

I just want to say that this is a great website with lots of information that has helped me over the years since I first bought Silent Hunter III back in 2005. Thank you.
GWX Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 12:26 PM   #3259
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

GWX Player! ing in the time of 'lockdown' has become the 'new normal!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 07-18-20, 01:44 PM   #3260
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim and I must say I admire your choice of name

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 02:20 PM   #3261
GWX Player
Swabbie

Thanks Jimbuna. GWX is the supermod that I have the most experience with (since Grey Wolves). I'm just getting back into Sh3 and discovered M.E.P and Stiebler and Tycho patches to the Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME). It's like a whole new game.

I also have LSH 2015 and WAC 5.2 working, but GWX was my intro in supermods.
Old 07-18-20, 09:16 PM   #3262
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Welcome to Subsim, Sonny Sanford and GWX Player. I hope you enjoy your time here.

A question for you,GWX Player. Since you have tried the GWX, Wac 5.2 and LSH 2015, which I am unfamiliar with aside from GWX, which supermod do you prefer and why ? I also wanted to ask what the M.E.P and Stiebler and Tycho patches to the Supplement to V16B1 are ? What is V16B1 ?

Again, welcome aboard.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 01:01 AM   #3263
GWX Player
Swabbie

Thanks for the welcome Commander Wallace. What I have heard is that LSH is supposedly more playable in that the enemy AI is not as uber as GWX, which some criticize as being too hard. I believe that WAC models a lot of historical events/campaigns that you can participate in.

I have only recently installed LSH and WAC, but I really have not played them extensively enough to tell you with any certainty about how all of them compare. I really just wanted to see if I could get all of them working using a widescreen gui. I survived situations in LSH in which I was detected by destroyers that I don't think I would have survived in GWX. But again, I have not played LSH enough to say for certain. I guess I like the challenge/frustration of AI destroyers in GWX (glutten for punishment).

I use Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA for GWX. This is my favorite gui (thanks makman94). I really like the interface. I have also used Ahnenerbe WideGui and ARB Widescreen but the smaller dials/text are getting hard on my "getting old" eyes. MaGui is one of the main reasons that I have always played GWX. I will have to try LSH and WAC with MaGui. Perhaps I will end up preferring them to GWX.

V16B1 refers to realism and hardcode fixes by h.sie (H.Sie patch) in which you have to patch your Sh3 executable (a copy of the executable found in the folder in which your game is installed). WARNING: Please don't replace or copy over the Sh3 executable in your installation folder. Just make a copy of it that you will then patch. Once patched, you can select among various options by checking them off in a selector box. Very useful changes include a fog warning and getting the lazy watch officer to man his post after surfacing instead of you having to move him there. There is also the awesome Wolfpack mod in which you finally (sometimes) have wolfpacks (AI controlled U-boats) that will attack when you find and shadow a convoy. I have enjoyed having 3 or 4 other U-boats along with mine absolutely annihilate a convoy.

I just recently discovered the Stiebler add-on (which is an add-on to h.sie Supplement to V16B1). You have to patch, in a similar manner as with h.sie, your executable that was already modified by h.sie's "Supplement to V16B1". Stiebler allows many things using a second options selector with boxes to check off. Some include a surrender/abandon ship option, a weather meter in place of noise/stealth meter, a Minimum TC fix, and radars that actually rotate. Some options require you to modify some game files, but others do not. Any changes should never be to the files in your game's installation, but copies of them that you tinker with and place in mod folders enabled through JSGME. If things crash or don't work, you can simply disable that mod and you will not have ruined your installation.

TychoPatch involves taking a copy of your h.sie "Supplement to V16B1" executable (or your Stiebler patched executable if you are using Stiebler) and placing it in a folder that includes several files and a batch file that you run. This will apply the Tycho patch to your executable. Now you have 3 patched Sh3 executables in three different mod folders--h.sie "Supplement to V16B1" mod folder has an executable in it, "Stiebler add-on" has one that is a Stiebler-patched copy of the executable found in your "Supplement to V16B1" mod folder, and "TychoPatch mod" folder has a Tycho patched executable of a copy of the one in your Stiebler mod folder.

I mainly use Tycho for two reasons. I like that real latitude/longitude numbers are applied to the edges of the nav map. And I love that it allows you to change the colors of the nav map tools. You can change the line color of the marker, the ruler/compass, and the protractor. The marker can be one color, the ruler lines can be another color, and the protractor a third color. As the markings one makes on the nav map can get quite cluttered, this is an awesome addition.

So the Tycho Patch can be applied to h.sie Supplement if that is as far as you want to go (if you are not interested in Stiebler), or you could apply the patch to Stiebler. So in your JSGME MODS folder you would enable h.sie Supplement to V16B1, then Stiebler (if you have it), then Tycho (if you have it). I would advise that you enable any other mods that you are using before enabling these three, never after. These 3 should be the final ones in your list of enabled mods.

M.E.P is not a patch of your executable but refers to the various versions of Manos Environment Pro. The latest that I am aware of is version 6. It is a 20km environment mod. The waves, sky, wakes of ships are awesome. My frame rates when on the bridge really take a beating (dropping to under 20 fps), but your rig might not be as affected. I simply activate it using JSGME.

I hope this was helpful. Maybe someone will come along and correct me if I gave any wrong info.

Last edited by GWX Player; 07-19-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 08:44 AM   #3264
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

^ All I can say is wow, GWX Player, That is quite a description and dissertation. It sounds like you have a great deal of experience with all things, Sub Simulations. You will fit in well with Subsim.

I only recently, got back into playing SH3 with GWX , with the great assistance of blackswan40. After conferring with blackswan, we decided my early version of SH3 on DVD had / has Starforce ( DRM ) on it. I ran the Starforce removal tool and concluded that either my Starforce removal tool was corrupted or I ran it incorrectly. Like Blackswan and others, you may end up as one of our technical guru's or go to guys.

A number of members here, including JimBuna, who welcomed you as well, have said publicly, that they prefer and enjoy GWX as well. Others like @TheBerbster have said they like Silent Hunter 5. RockinRobbins and others have worked diligently on FOTRS or Fall Of The Rising Sun to add to Silent Hunter 4, Wolves of the Pacific. You might want to look for them and give them a go since Covid-19 have essentially made cave dwellers of a lot of us.

As for me, I was driving my older model Chevy Camaro on a nice day back from a meeting when it spun a bearing in the engine. Up to that point, it was driving beautifully. I still have a lot of oil pressure so I doubt I lost all of the main bearings. Still, the engine will need all of the bearings replaced and most certainly, crankshaft servicing or possible replacement. I planned on replacement of the cam, main and rod bearings, head rebuild and if needed, boring out the cylinders in addition to a cam replacement and high end roller timing chain set. I also found a high end, all aluminum 4 row radiator I plan to install once the new engine is in.

I am in the process of acquiring 2 other engines with their transmissions either to rebuild or as a source of spare parts. If any of them are in better shape than my engine, I will install one of them after a proper inspection and servicing. This may well end up a winter project or I may at least start rebuilding the new donor engine(s) during the Covid distancing. I may detail the rebuilding process with pictures if there is any interest. I also found a Ram Air hood and setup so paint matching of the new hood is in the future too.

I have to start putting together the funding for everything as well. I started selling a number of items including automotive related parts and equipment to pay for everything.

It's always something. Stay safe with the Covid-19 viruses out there.
Old 07-19-20, 01:09 PM   #3265
GWX Player
Swabbie

My version of Sh3 is the 2005 DVD when I believe Starforce was called something else. I don't even remember the name.

Perhaps I am wrong about what I am about to say next, but try it. It is my understanding that the "H.sie_V16B1-Patch-Kit" will patch your game's original executable. But I am not sure about "Starforce" version.

Download the "H.sie_V16B1-Patch-Kit". It is a zip file. Create a folder on your desktop, and place this zip file in it. Unzip it and place a copy of your game's executable in that same folder. Don't cut and paste your executable--copy and paste it instead. Run the "Patch_SH3" batch file (this is one of the files that got unzipped). This should patch your executable to version 1.6B1 and makes a backup of your original executable that is renamed "sh3.old". Keep your original executable safe (the one that is still in your game's installation folder). Save it somewhere else or make a folder in your game's installation folder that you name something like "ORIGINAL EXECUTABLE-DON'T DELETE", and save it there. Now, if the Patch Kit successfully patched your executable, place this new executable in your game's installation folder. Launch the game using this "new" executable.

If it does work, then you can read the "H.sie_V16B1-Patch-Kit" documentation to get h.sie Supplement to V16B1 working as a mod (and it's 4Gbyte patch which is necessary for some of the newest mods to work).

Everything I mentioned is from the great work of the modders that created them and their explanations on how to implement them--as well as checking out the great Subsim forums when I still couldn't understand what to do to get these mods working.

I hope everything goes smoothly with your automotive endeavors and with your sub simming.

Last edited by GWX Player; 07-19-20 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 02:13 PM   #3266
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

^ Thanks so much GWX Player for taking the time out to list and detail the information on H.sie_V16B1-Patch-Kit. I have saved the information and will look into everything you listed. TheBerbster has been having some real life issues of late but he is a kindly sort and always ready to help those with questions on Silent Hunter 5. Look him up as well. Like you, Blackswan40 and some others you will come across here, TheBerbster is a font of information and knowledge regarding Sub Simulations.

I hope you and yours have a great weekend there and if we as a community at Subsim can be of serviceto you, just ask.

Once again, thanks so much.
Old 07-19-20, 02:28 PM   #3267
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

A belated welcome to GX Player, some very good informative posts

And well said C. Wallace, only thing is when someone runs into problems we might have to ask GWX

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 03:58 PM   #3268
GWX Player
Swabbie

Commander Wallace:

If your version of Sh3 is already the 1.4b patched version, then I believe my previous instructions will work. If, like me, your version is the original DVD, then you will not be able to use the h.sie patch in order to patch your executable to version v 1.6B1.

I believe that you will have to update your game to version 1.4b first.

I just verified this by installing the game today (using the DVD) on a laptop in which I have never installed it--(it's not made for gaming and cannot possibly run it). I had to install it in the x86 folder because it would not let me install it otherwise. I took the installed sh3.exe (which I am sure is version 1.4 and not version 1.4b) and tried to h.sie patch it using the "H.sie_V16B1-Patch-Kit", but it did not work. When running the batch file called "Patch_SH3", the pop-up window even informs you that it is attempting to patch your executable from version 1.4b to version 1.6B1. If your executable is version 1.4, it will not work.

So, I patched the executable to version 1.4b and then applied the h.sie patch to this executable, and it worked! The game launches as version 1.6B1.

If your game version's executable is v1.4, then it seems that a total of 3 files from the fresh installation game folder are needed in order to patch the executable to version 1.4b. I copied these three files, placed them in a folder, and then ran the 1.4b patch with that folder as the target. The 3 files needed from the game's installation folder are:

sh3.dll
sh3.exe
sh3.msg

All you have to do in order to make sure that you find the correct files is to reveal their extensions: .dll, .exe., and .msg. To see the file extensions, just click "View" at the top of the folder that you are in, and select the tick box "File name extensions" in order to find the correct files.

Last edited by GWX Player; 07-19-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 04:09 PM   #3269
GWX Player
Swabbie

Thanks for the welcome Catfish. I have benefited for years from the helpful information that others here have provided.

I hope that the info I provided might help someone else. Please don't hesitate to correct any bad/wrong information that I might have given.
Old 07-26-20, 01:10 PM   #3270
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Gutter downspout all painted-two coats; plus the exterior green stucco spattered by pumped in concrete for front and rear patio/walkways finally got touched up,all along the bases of the walls. The Joy's of home ownership are tediously myriad! Enjoying Sunday paper, coffee and TV flick this AM: Midway with Heston, Fonda and Mifune et al as Yamamoto! Better than Greyhound...a tad!