SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-10, 11:49 AM   #226
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Hi Sailor, thanks.

just make a backup copy of your sh3.exe. If you don't like the mod, put back the original file. Or better make a copy of your whole SH3 installation and then test it first. By the way: I begin to like this type of modding and I don't know when it will be finished. But I take care that every version I release runs stable.

-------

In the meantime I found out that it is possible to be in Silent-Running Mode (no repairs, no reloading => crew in bed and breating slow) but with engines on high rpm. This is what I wanted and what makes things much easier, since the Silent-Running-Status Flag can be used for affecting CO2 cumulation.

First pre-pre-alpha test version will be very simple: Diving time without Silent-Running unchanged. But it can be doubled when Silent-Running. The factor (2x) can be fine-adjusted later. Initially, no dependence of UBoat type or crew number.

Anyway, regarding UBoat Types: In my opinion, the Types II and XXI are not worth to be treated individually (by individual factors regarding diving time), so values should be mainly adjusted for Types VII and IX.

h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 09-27-10 at 12:00 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 01:03 PM   #227
verte
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
In my opinion, the Types II and XXI are not worth to be treated individually
This may change when Hans will release his mod for Type II... Anyway - thank you one more time for your work, I was learning assembler for small machine programming (it was a horror, an interesting horror) and I'm impressed that you can do all those changes to sh3 in it. I'm back to SH3 now because of your mod

---

I have a small problem - you are talking about some repair time estimations visible on the screen. But I have only e.g. "minor" or "critical" damage text. If I remember correctly, there was an estimation in hours on the right side of this text (?), but I probably removed it in the past from the menu_1024_768.ini, and now I don't remember where it was

Last edited by verte; 09-27-10 at 01:20 PM.
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 01:40 PM   #228
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

h.sie. is there any chance of making an external .bat file that auto-patches the SH3.exe? Then you would just need to distribute a text file which that autopatch would read to apply the latest changes, and that could be customized in sections to allow for the user adding/removing stuff he wishes.

In my opinion, the autopatch file could be legitimate stuff, as you are not distributing any SH3 material but instead an autopatcher for the legitmate user's game. Something like the already existing "MultiSh3" external tool.

If you could do something like that, I can discuss with Neal the details and confirm if it would be OK to discuss and distribute here such file.

EDIT:

I know that part of the process already involves applying directly a sort of auto-patch, but I mean a full one click install executable -which most users would prefer

Last edited by Hitman; 09-27-10 at 01:58 PM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 02:03 PM   #229
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi h.sie,

great news again! Sounds very promising. I think your idea with leaving the times as they are, but doubling when you rig for silent running sounds good (gives you quite accurate historical values). As you already found out, all silent running does in-game is forbidding repairs and reloads, i.e., heavy work. So, it's a perfect flag for the CO2 consumption

I don't know for sure, but I think there is no time limit how long destroyers hunt you. There is just the limit how long they look for you after loosing contact. However, if you stay loud they will hunt you forever (even after running out of ammo).

For a first version I would leave the battery stuff alone. For my personal taste it opens a can of worms. A dependency on the number of men would be great, but I think, it's also not THAT important. And I think it's just fine to use the number of men at the beginning of your trip.

Cheers, LGN1

PS: Just one last comment about Iambecomelife's AI subs. If it's true what I think you might also have submerging and attacking British subs in the Bay of Biscay

without any scripting!
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 03:56 AM   #230
h.sie
Admiral

@Hitman:

In the next days, I could provide a Batch Script which automatically does all necessary steps described in the tutorial of the 1st post: It will at first test if checksum of sh3.exe is okay. If so, it will make a backup of sh3.exe and finally apply the patch.
But a comfortable Graphical user interface to individually switch some of my modifications on/off (and to change some of the numerical parameters) will take more time than the modding itself. Maybe I release one at the end when my modding is finished (in 2015 ). Additionally: That does not make sense ATM, because data positions and Hex-addresses change from version to version.

But: Why should one switch off these additions??

If one really wants to switch off one of my modifications, this has to be done directly by Hex-Editing some bytes in the exe. It's not hard to do. You just have to search a certain Hex-Address and change its byte value from FF to 00. That's all. I'll publish a description in the next days/weeks when next patch V15C is finished and I also offer to help non-skilled people with that.

@verte:

Nice to hear that you came back to SH3. If the text (critical and so on) appears but not the time estimation, then you probably edited the de_menu.txt or en_menu.txt. What GUI do you use? ACM-h.sie's Edition?
If so, just remove the LLRT+SRM or LRT+SRM addon. they are obsolete now. After that, the repair time estimations in hours (2:00 and so on) should appear.

h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 09-28-10 at 07:27 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 05:16 AM   #231
verte
Sparky

Quote:
If the text (critical and so on) appears but not the time estimation, then you probably edited the de_menu.txt or en_menu.txt. What GUI do you use? ACM-h.sie's Edition?
If so, just remove the LLRT+SRM or LRT+SRM addon. they are obsolete now. After that, the repair time estimations in hours (2:00 and so on) should appear.
I was actually [G67 I610] section in menu_1024_768.ini - I've moved the estimation text off-screen. Now its ok
Old 09-28-10, 06:07 AM   #232
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

I like the batch file Idea.
Far less clutter as single patched .exe's and easier to update!

Hope it works out!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:00 AM   #233
verte
Sparky

Would it be possible to increase the time needed for WO to identify a ship?
Old 09-28-10, 09:30 AM   #234
h.sie
Admiral

Hi verte,

as I already wrote here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=178

it's either very hard or impossible for me in assembler without SDK. Although it seems so simple. I have an vague idea and maybe I'll try that out, but since it goes very deep into the event-handling system (which I still haven't understood), it will surely be a potential cause of instablilities. I don't like that. It's on the TODO list, but not on hightest priority.

h.sie
Old 09-28-10, 09:56 AM   #235
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

The sub finally surfaces but the WO is still sleepin'...

SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 10:11 AM   #236
h.sie
Admiral

It took two weeks of my life to move this lazy a**hole to the bridge - without success. Differing from my other fixes, this cannot simply be done by changing some parameters or CPU registers. also graphical changes have to be made, and without SDK I have only a small chance.

The best success so far: After he moved up, all officers looked the same (same icon) and 3 seconds later the game crashed. So I put this issue on the TODO list with low priority, since it's more an eyecandy than a gameplay problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
The sub finally surfaces but the WO is still sleepin'...

Old 09-28-10, 10:37 AM   #237
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Don't worry about that.
I didn't want to bother you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
...It took two weeks of my life to move this lazy a**hole to the bridge - without success...
Hm...
For me it takes only one second by hitting F7 and left-clicking on WO and moving him to the bridge... ..so what's your prob?
--------------------------------------------------------

But seriously - there remains one question:
how is this automatism handled for the other four watch guys...?
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 10:49 AM   #238
h.sie
Admiral

SquareSteelbar: "But seriously - there remains one question:
how is this automatism handled for the other four watch guys...?"

I of course looked into the routine, that moves the watchmen up, but it is very complex, hard to understand, tons of subroutines. It would cost weeks to analyse that. Maybe later with more experience.
Old 09-28-10, 12:35 PM   #239
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
SquareSteelbar: "But seriously - there remains one question:
how is this automatism handled for the other four watch guys...?"

I of course looked into the routine, that moves the watchmen up, but it is very complex, hard to understand, tons of subroutines. It would cost weeks to analyse that. Maybe later with more experience.
...could it be, if you manage to bring him up automaticaly, a much to early and unrealistic (in that first moments on the bridge), "ship spotted" or "aircraft spotted" message and sound could come up ?

...if so, i would prefer to move him better manualy

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 02:24 AM   #240
h.sie
Admiral

@Stormfly: Correct programming provided, he would behave exactly the same way as if one manually moves him up.

@LGN1: Wolfpacks would make SH3 a nearly perfect sim. Any information about the current state of IABL's work?

h.sie