Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-10, 12:44 PM   #1
TwistedAdonis
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Probably unpopular, but...

I have only recently discovered the naughty pursuit of downloading a game I did not pay for. I hope that doesn't get me banned.
I like to believe that I would pay for a game that's interesting beyond the first couple of hours, but I fear, being human, this is not always so.
I paid for Silent Hunter 2 - 4 because I didn't yet possess the mad skillz to steal it. I bought SH5 because the DRM meant I had to... if I wanted it to work (loose term considering the buggage) correctly.
My point is, it's clear that piracy is getting easier, more prevalent and is threatening the income of the guys and gals who create one of the few titles that actually still excites us on a platform that used to be unique. Crackers have still failed to crack it properly.
I can't help but think good luck to you Ubisoft and I hope this pans out with more sales (though some bizarrely wish bad sales on them. I'd rather no more Assassin's Creed than no more SH).
That's my tuppence.

Twister
Old 03-23-10, 12:49 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

based on your admission of piracy you are banned

Old 03-23-10, 01:01 PM   #3
GDFTigerTank
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

"I bought SH5 because the DRM meant I had to"
"I have only recently discovered the naughty pursuit of downloading a game I did not pay for"

He didn't exactly admit to being a pirate of SH5. Certainly he's walking a tightrope though.

Edit: Ooh he got the kabosh...
Old 03-23-10, 01:03 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

The first line is enough for me your honor.....'Hi, I stole' is basically what is said.
Old 03-23-10, 01:03 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFTigerTank View Post
"I bought SH5 because the DRM meant I had to"
"I have only recently discovered the naughty pursuit of downloading a game I did not pay for"

He didn't exactly admit to being a pirate of SH5. Certainly he's walking a tightrope though.

and what part of this isnt clear that he admits pirating games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedAdonis View Post
I have only recently discovered the naughty pursuit of downloading a game I did not pay for. I hope that doesn't get me banned.

why cant people understand that we at subsim dont care if you do it or not just dont talk about it, period.

i dont see that as asking too much

Old 03-23-10, 01:19 PM   #6
cwil757
Watch

Downloads: 95

sure its wrong to steal the game but what exactly did he get? an unpolished piece of crap that isnt finished..... I mean really.....it only fair to pay for something that is finished you wouldnt buy half a cd? half a car? or half a house right? you pay for something of quality, that the creators should be proud to release, I'm sure the company knew better. I dont know about you but I do certainly feel a little ripped off its just that in his case he wasnt stupid enough to buy it, and he is now what.... $50? $60 richer than me? obviously its stupid to openly admit to stealing it... but kudos to him! it's not our job, to finish a product that a company releases... we don't get paid to do that. its bullsh*t business and anyone with half a brain can see this. no one can fight that locic..... because it's undeniably right. he's obviously a fan of the series and I'm sure would have bought it if it lived up to what it was supposed to be.
Old 03-23-10, 01:25 PM   #7
GDFTigerTank
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
why cant people understand that we at subsim dont care if you do it or not just dont talk about it, period.
Hey your forum, your rules
No complaints here.

I was just trying to be a kind fellow and point the chap out of the minefield he just steamed into at All Ahead Full.
Too late obviously, your torpedoes ripped into him... And so it goes!
Old 03-23-10, 01:44 PM   #8
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwil757 View Post
you wouldnt buy half a cd? half a car? or half a house right?
You are right, I wouldn't.
But neither would I steal them.
Old 03-23-10, 01:45 PM   #9
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
sure its wrong to steal the game but what exactly did he get? an unpolished piece of crap that isnt finished..... I mean really.....it only fair to pay for something that is finished you wouldnt buy half a cd? half a car? or half a house right? you pay for something of quality, that the creators should be proud to release, I'm sure the company knew better. I dont know about you but I do certainly feel a little ripped off its just that in his case he wasnt stupid enough to buy it, and he is now what.... $50? $60 richer than me? obviously its stupid to openly admit to stealing it... but kudos to him! it's not our job, to finish a product that a company releases... we don't get paid to do that. its bullsh*t business and anyone with half a brain can see this. no one can fight that locic..... because it's undeniably right. he's obviously a fan of the series and I'm sure would have bought it if it lived up to what it was supposed to be.
Maybe before you start your ranting you should read the original post. He did not say he stole SH5 in fact he said just the opposite.

Quote:
I bought SH5 because the DRM meant I had to... if I wanted it to work (loose term considering the buggage) correctly.
So your question:

Quote:
sure its wrong to steal the game but what exactly did he get? an unpolished piece of crap that isnt finished
We don't know what he got, nor do we care. There are specific rules for the forum and several warnings from Neal himself so it is not our fault, nor subsims fault, nor Ubisoft's fault he came in here and said he pirated software.

If you have a specific problem with Ubisoft or the game, that is fine, but in this case you are ranting about him stealing a game which he clearly says he bought. He stole "something" but does not say what.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 03-23-10, 01:47 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
You are right, I wouldn't.
But neither would I steal them.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Old 03-23-10, 02:11 PM   #11
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
it only fair to pay for something that is finished you wouldnt buy half a cd? half a car? or half a house right?
I wouldn't buy a carton of milk that was finished, or a cross word that was finished - that wouldn't be fair. I also would buy half a Briterney Spears CD, as that's one way to be sure it wouldn't play. I would buy a half share in a flash car, for the right price. I would buy half a house, if I bought it with a partner.
Old 03-23-10, 02:16 PM   #12
cwil757
Watch

ohhh sorry everyone.... for the rant... geeeez you guys are fast... then uhhhh so yeah just ummm never mind then..... sorry for being retarded, I'll read more.
Old 03-23-10, 02:21 PM   #13
captainprid
Watch Officer

Downloads: 23

On a niche game like this where sales figures really count toward the readiness of the developer to bring out patches DLC and sequels piracy should not be condoned or tolerated.......Full stop.

I know how to download films, games etc but only on very very rare occasions do I do so and I wouldn't dream of doing if for SH, just wouldn't feel right.

Besides which, I work hard for my money and I don't have a lot of it so why should I pay for it when someone else can steal it for free???

BAN BAN
Old 03-23-10, 02:24 PM   #14
cwil757
Watch

so I just read and um... you are right it doesnt say speciffically that he stole SH5, I am now enlightened, thank you.

other than that. though, the unfinished nature is still completely unnacceptable thats kinda where I went out on a tangent. as I'm sure everyone can agree.
Old 03-23-10, 02:27 PM   #15
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Why even keep the thread open