Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-19, 08:21 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Has the West betrayed the USSR in 1990?

I past years I repeatedly clashed with some forum members over the question whether or not NATO has promised the Russians that after German reunification NATO would not extend further to the East. They said no, that never happened, I said, it had not been fixed in a treaty or a binding document, but during negotiations the Russians were given verbal promises that such an extension would not happen - and they took these promises for certain. That was naive, of course, and later under Yeltzin, Russia added quite some more to that naivety; nevertheless: a promise given is a promise given. And yes, the promise got broken. And Putin did not keep that in good memory.

The following is by an american historian who examines this issue since 15 years and has published 2 books so far, mulling her third. She spend years with unlocking secret documents under the Freedom of Information Act. It is a summary of a speech she will hold early Novembre during wall memorial festivities in Germany. She fully confirms what I always have said. There was no written treaty or document, but the issue was raised during negotiations, and the Russians were promised it would not happen.

The Russians were naive in those early years after the Sovjet collapse, and under Putin they started to learn the lesson and to draw consequences from it. Much of the conflicts today maybe could have been avoided, if the western economy and powers would not have launched this predatory business onslaught and if NATO would not have creeped closer and lcoser onto Russia's Western borders. That Russia would react to all that sooner or later, in my opinion was inevitable. The reaction is part of the ingredients that form the reality of the world today. They got pushed - and so they started pushing back.

What those who thought that winning the cold war earned them the right to act as victors and claim all loot as prey have overseen, was this: while the construct of the Warsaw Pact and the Sovjet Union collapsed and was gone for the moment, this did not mean that Russia would be gone as well. And Russia was already before the Sovjet Union.

https://translate.google.de/translat...10788-all.html