Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-20, 07:00 AM   #12961
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ he just spoke at a Trump rallye in Arizona, calling Trump the bravest man he ever met, and the latter called him "King of Europe".
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-us-2020-54727921
Does that have an impact on his popularity in England?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 11-02-20, 07:03 AM   #12962
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

It is well known here in the UK that he is a friend of Trumps but what effect if any it would have on his popularity would probably depend on each individual being a Trump supporter or otherwise I should imagine.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 11-03-20, 10:28 AM   #12963
Catfish

So Johnson lets elapse a deadline with the EU once more. Seems he wants to wait for the outcome of the US election, whatever he expects from that. "The European Commission confirmed on Tuesday that the deadline to respond to the letter has now come and gone without a UK response, meaning the court action against the UK will move to the next phase. Ministers have already admitted in parliament that the bill will break international law, but say the policy is justified because the law would only be broken in a “limited and specific” way." https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1557305.html

Last edited by Catfish; 11-03-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-03-20, 11:14 AM   #12964
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

This can often be the consequence of a government with such a large Parliamentary majority and an opposition that is so weak.

I'm not convinced Boris even wants an agreement at all.

Old 11-03-20, 03:39 PM   #12965
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Regarding my last post about the Labour party.

It's more their supporters how will they see this..ongoing civil war in the party ?

Here in Denmark they get a smack on their fingers. Lately a liberal leftwing party had to get a new leader due to internal struggle in the party..a week later the polls showed more than 50 % had left this party.

Back to UK and Labour party...if I remember correctly they got a real good smack on their fingers at your latest election.

Haven't they learned anything ??

Markus
Old 11-04-20, 05:46 AM   #12966
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Regarding my last post about the Labour party.

It's more their supporters how will they see this..ongoing civil war in the party ?

Here in Denmark they get a smack on their fingers. Lately a liberal leftwing party had to get a new leader due to internal struggle in the party..a week later the polls showed more than 50 % had left this party.

Back to UK and Labour party...if I remember correctly they got a real good smack on their fingers at your latest election.

Haven't they learned anything ??

Markus
The Labour party are only successful when they have a leader who is able to unite the left and right wing factions. Tony Blair probably being the last one who achieved that.

I personally enjoyed my membership during that period but resigned the day after Corbyn and his loony left gained power.

Old 11-05-20, 06:51 AM   #12967
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK and EU have said serious differences remain over a post-Brexit trade deal, as the latest talks came to an end in Brussels.

UK negotiator Lord David Frost said "wide divergences" remained in some areas, despite progress being made.

His EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, said there were "serious divergences" over fishing and competition rules.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54817881

Old 11-06-20, 10:37 AM   #12968
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
UK trade with the EU faces "significant disruption" when the Brexit transition period ends in January, a government spending watchdog has said.

The National Audit Office (NAO) said it was "very unlikely" traders would be ready for checks the EU is due to impose at its borders.

It also warned "limited" time remained for UK ports to test new IT systems.

The government said "significant" efforts had been made to avoid disruption to businesses.

The UK formally left the EU earlier this year but is following EU trading rules until the end of December.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54829094
I believe what we will witness will be a right royal mess.

Old 11-07-20, 07:51 AM   #12969
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson has said he believes there is "a deal to be done" on post-Brexit trade with the EU.

But while the UK prime minister "very much hopes" to come to an agreement, he said the country was "very well prepared" to move on without one.

Mr Johnson made the comments ahead of a call with EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Saturday.

The National Audit Office has warned of "significant disruption" when the Brexit transition period ends.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54840747

Old 11-07-20, 02:45 PM   #12970
Catfish

Mrs. von der Leyen is said to have had a personal phone call with Boris Johnson this weekend, more about the possibility of general solutions, since "...Mr. Johnson has not shown much knowledge about trade details or future relations."
Good he has experts like Cummings.

Old 11-08-20, 06:36 AM   #12971
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
But while the UK prime minister "very much hopes" to come to an agreement, he said the country was "very well prepared" to move on without one.
Time to make some more space to stack up indispensable goods in the Buna Family's garage.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 11-08-20, 07:41 AM   #12972
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Mrs. von der Leyen is said to have had a personal phone call with Boris Johnson this weekend, more about the possibility of general solutions, since "...Mr. Johnson has not shown much knowledge about trade details or future relations."
Good he has experts like Cummings.
Shudder the thought.

Old 11-08-20, 07:42 AM   #12973
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Time to make some more space to stack up indispensable goods in the Buna Family's garage.
Current stock levels are sufficient till the new year

Old 11-08-20, 08:07 PM   #12974
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The UK and EU have said serious differences remain over a post-Brexit trade deal, as the latest talks came to an end in Brussels.

UK negotiator Lord David Frost said "wide divergences" remained in some areas, despite progress being made.

His EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, said there were "serious divergences" over fishing and competition rules.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54817881
I found this article awhile back when I was looking at the history of superpowers and the Thucydides Trap. You mention the UK as having serious issues with the EU. Looking at line 16 it apoears your not alone. Lets be realustic here the EU is Germany and Germany is the EU. Apparently there is economic friction between the three big gorillas on the block. Likely why Merkelreich says nothing and looks the otherway as their old friend and axis ally Turkey calls for violence in France and Ursula sings bomben auf england because Johnson misses a dealine.

Dont trust those Germans they tried once with arms. Today they are attempting to rule Europe by bullying their former victims economically.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...s-trap/406756/

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 11-09-20, 04:00 AM   #12975
Catfish

re BBC link: The 'obstacles' remaining to form a 'deal' seem to be the same as they ever were, or at least like they were right at the beginning of this mess. Clearly the english Trump does "not have much interest in a deal", while others say that has been his plan all along.
Deadlines declared by England or the EU again and again have long been exceeded.
So one can say that basically nothing has been thought out, and no real negotiation has taken place.
(The fish being cought in english waters is growing up elsewhere in EU waters, so we can just put an immigration wall in the North sea and .. wait .. )

^re Rockstar this is an interesting article, though i do not quite see what the EU or Germany has to do with it. So some nations are afraid if they are challenged by upcoming other nations due to competition; while i see that fear and challenge can lead to a war i cannot see the EU doing this anytime soon, if ever, or the US declaring war to the EU. China and Russia, well. But there is not much to be decided by the EU, let alone Germany. Maybe if we get a Trump as chancellor ...

B.t.w. while it is quite clear what happened in WW2 i would not blame WW1 alone on Germany even if this of course is a convenient view for some.

Last edited by Catfish; 11-09-20 at 04:45 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics