Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-19, 05:31 AM   #12196
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

"The government's Brexit bill will enable more British judges to depart from previous rulings of the EU's top court, Downing Street says."

I take it the first change will be workers rights. And i do not mean foreign workers or immigrants. Longer working times, less money. Financing brexit has to come from somewhere.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-19-19, 06:19 AM   #12197
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Tory manifesto pledged no decrease in workers rights.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-19-19, 06:27 AM   #12198
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Scotland's first minister has called on the UK government to negotiate a transfer of powers to Holyrood to allow another referendum on independence.

Nicola Sturgeon said there was an "unarguable" mandate for a new vote after her SNP won 48 of Scotland's 59 seats in last week's general election.

She said a document containing her arguments and draft legislation will be sent to the UK government today.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson remains opposed to holding another referendum.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-50843024
I'm not sure how this will eventually pan out but as I have said consistently 'Allow them their referendum and if the vote for leave wins they should understand they cannot use the pound sterling and they should also prior agree to taking with them a pre-agreed share of the national debt'

Old 12-19-19, 06:32 AM   #12199
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

A manifesto and a pledge to get votes, by the Tories just of all. Good luck to see that happen.
Whatever, the fight will happen in England, not in Brussels.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-19-19, 07:02 AM   #12200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Only time will tell Kai, as things currently stand Boris has been given a large majority by the electorate so must be given the opportunity to prove himself.

Old 12-19-19, 08:21 AM   #12201
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Queen has set out the Conservative government's agenda for the year ahead, following last week's decisive election win.

Legislation to take the UK out of the EU on 31 January was among more than 30 bills being announced during Thursday's State Opening of Parliament.

Other measures included guarantees on extra health service funding and longer sentences for violent criminals.

PM Boris Johnson says he wants to unite the UK and "level up" opportunity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50842124
My initial impression is that there is a lot in it but it will be of benefit to the country if it is carried through (more detail contained within the link).

Old 12-19-19, 12:28 PM   #12202
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Rather boring and totally missable without Denis Skinner cracking a joke at Black Rod. Just no point to it anymore..

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-19-19, 12:33 PM   #12203
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I envy you.

After Brexit your parliament can make laws and do not have to take EU into consideration.

Like. There is a majority for law xxx but due to EU it will not pass the Parliament.

Like here in Denmark.

There is a majority to ban Round-Up for private use, but due to EU the Danish government can't make a ban.

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 12-19-19, 02:32 PM   #12204
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm not sure how this will eventually pan out but as I have said consistently 'Allow them their referendum and if the vote for leave wins they should understand they cannot use the pound sterling and they should also prior agree to taking with them a pre-agreed share of the national debt'
Careful, Jim - if that were to be the case then the UK's Gold Reserves and Gilts would be up for negotiation as well. A potential independant Scotland would be entitled to have a percentage of UK national assets, including those.

Besides, the SNP would spin it to their advantage - no need to give them any more free ammunition than neccessary. It would also make the pro-UK side's job that much harder.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 12-19-19, 03:15 PM   #12205
STEED
Lucky Jack

Second hat into the ring...

Quote:
Shadow Treasury minister Clive Lewis has become the second MP to officially enter the race to replace Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50861140
Over to jim...

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-19-19, 07:55 PM   #12206
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
Careful, Jim - if that were to be the case then the UK's Gold Reserves and Gilts would be up for negotiation as well. A potential independant Scotland would be entitled to have a percentage of UK national assets, including those.

Besides, the SNP would spin it to their advantage - no need to give them any more free ammunition than neccessary. It would also make the pro-UK side's job that much harder.

Mike.
Quite possibly but I'd be prepared to take the chance and call their bluff.

Old 12-20-19, 04:35 AM   #12207
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
"The government's Brexit bill will enable more British judges to depart from previous rulings of the EU's top court, Downing Street says."

I take it the first change will be workers rights. And i do not mean foreign workers or immigrants. Longer working times, less money. Financing brexit has to come from somewhere.

I think the Tories understand that their majority (particularly in the north) was conditional, if they damage workers rights or NHS etc, it will not go unoticed or unpunished.

Plus the likes of Boris and Mogg SHOULD have learned buy now that Less money for workers = Less consumer spending and worse economic output & less tax revenue.
Its pretty much agreed accross the political spectrum now that austerity doesnt work.

We will see if they remember that, if they do - good, if they dont they will quickly get the boot in some of those shiney new consituencies.

The Cons have made some very concrete promises this election cycle, while they may forget them - the electorate wont.

Most of the public knows the tories can be real 2 faced weasels, so we'll be watching them
Old 12-20-19, 04:59 AM   #12208
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Its pretty much agreed accross the political spectrum now that austerity doesnt work.
Unfortunately it is not understood that endlessly inflating the debt burden does not work either but systematically reduces the degrees of freedom a state has for action. The worse the money, the more clever the theories, said Hayek, meaning that the excuses for the bad money become increasingly creative. Meanwhile, the debts first start to cover and suffocate everything like ivy and fungi, and then are tried to be tackled by expropriating the tax payer more and more.

Modern money theory is one of the biggest intellectual suicide attempts I have ever witnessed. Piketty is old communist wine in new bottles. Giving credit to one, needs somebody else waiving consumation before. One can only lend what somebody else owns and is willing to lease away for some time. Maastricht is dead, state financing by central banks is common. Currency without material security backup is madness. Notes are no money. Politicians shall never, never, never be trusted so much that you leave them controlling the money. NEVER.
Old 12-20-19, 05:22 AM   #12209
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Managing growth in demand (ie migration) may work better than managing growth in supply (ie via funding) as the growth in funding (both absolute after accounting for inflation and relative to the GDP) over the past decade did not help it.

Old 12-20-19, 05:49 AM   #12210
STEED
Lucky Jack

Next week as norm old STEED will be doing my look back on 2019 and look forward to 2020 in my usual sinicle witty banter way.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics