SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Notices

Get ready for a whole new level of realism!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-22, 02:31 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 6,916
Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42
Default WW II designation for Aux Cruiser

USN often used abbreviations for ships...DD=Destroyer CV-Aircraft Carrier, etc.

What was the designation for Auxiliary Cruiser in WW II?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 03:27 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Ocean Warrior
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Posts: 3,091
Downloads: 401
Uploads: 20


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
USN often used abbreviations for ships...DD=Destroyer CV-Aircraft Carrier, etc.

What was the designation for Auxiliary Cruiser in WW II?
the merchant marine installed older, leftover cannons, when available, to ward off surfaced U-boats but that is not really an auxiliary cruiser and the US Navy never bought into that concept.

our armed transport/cargo ships were AK's. i think that is as close as we came to an auxiliary cruiser. (lol)
__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortis et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 11:57 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 6,916
Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the merchant marine installed older, leftover cannons, when available, to ward off surfaced U-boats but that is not really an auxiliary cruiser and the US Navy never bought into that concept.

our armed transport/cargo ships were AK's. i think that is as close as we came to an auxiliary cruiser. (lol)

Right but the enemy had them and US had a abbreviation for them I am sure( I recall seeing one somewhere) but have not been able to find out.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 12:05 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Ocean Warrior
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Posts: 3,091
Downloads: 401
Uploads: 20


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Right but the enemy had them and US had a abbreviation for them I am sure( I recall seeing one somewhere) but have not been able to find out.
you got me on that one....no idea what we called them, unless you mean Q-ships...which i would not call an auxiliary cruiser.
__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortis et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2022 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.