SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-21, 07:27 AM   #6391
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The UK's collective sacrifice during the coronavirus pandemic must lead to a better future, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer says.

Covid has exposed deep inequalities and injustices in society and the government needs to play a bigger role in the economy permanently, Sir Keir says.

There has been a "strong decline" in levels of coronavirus infections in England since January, say scientists tracking the epidemic.

A group of MPs and peers have signed a letter to the prime minister calling for compensation for key workers suffering from "long Covid"

Almost two million people have not worked for at least six months because of the economic impact of the pandemic, a think tank says.

Life expectancy in the US fell by a full year in the first half of 2020, a change experts say was fuelled by the growing coronavirus pandemic.

Ministers in Northern Ireland are to meet to discuss whether to extend the nation's lockdown restrictions.

A star-filled video urging people from ethnic minority communities to get the Covid vaccine will be shown on TV in the UK later.

Many European countries are ignoring mentally ill patients in their Covid vaccine campaign, according to a survey published by the Lancet.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 07:30 AM   #6392
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Fatality numbers are not the same. Once more political opinion by Fox business, does not help.
That Florida is faring better than other comparable states with lesser restrictions can imho be related to weather, temperature and following behaviour.

"Florida has more cases per 100,000 residents. More deaths, too.
[In] just the last 90 days [...] California has recorded more cases, but fewer deaths than Florida. Adjust for population and California comes out better on both measures."

The use of Fox business isnt the point and has absolutely nothing to do with the subject, the point is the contents of article. Which according to it says each state took different approaches yet ended up with similar results. The numbers are roughly the same. And the response here is: "It could have been the weather"?

Total deaths: Florida 29k; California 49k
Total cases: Florida 1.8 million; California 3.5 million
population: Florida 21.5 million; California 39.5 million

Gorpet I realize this is no consolation but this socalled U.K. varient is in California too. As for the known 12,000 plus variants out there the vaccines works on all of them to one degree or another.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-18-21 at 08:26 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 07:38 AM   #6393
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Italy's new prime minister, Mario Draghi, easily won a vote of confidence in the upper house of Congress - the Senate - last night, after telling Italians they had to pull together to help rebuild the country after the pandemic. He also promised to fight Covid "with all means". He is now set to win today's vote by MPs in the lower house too.

Many European countries are ignoring mentally ill patients in their Covid vaccine campaign, even though they are particularly vulnerable. In a survey of 20 countries published by the Lancet, only the Netherlands, UK, Germany and Denmark have recognised severe mental illness as a high-risk condition. Belgian professor Livia De Picker says patients are between 1.5 and two times more likely to die than others.

Airline Air France-KLM has announced net losses of €7.1bn (£6bn; $8.6bn) for 2020, with income badly hit by the pandemic. The previous year it made a profit but Chief Executive Benjamin Smith said the air transport industry had been hit by its "most severe crisis ever". European plane manufacturer Airbus says it managed to limit its losses to €1.1bn last year, slightly better results than 2019.

A French vet school has launched a dog training programme to see if sniffing for Covid-19 is more effective than normal PCR tests. The dogs will have to sniff through a metal cone a compress soaked in the sweat of 2,000 young volunteers. Finland's Helsinki-Vantaa airport ran a test late last year using six dogs which officials said was "surprisingly good and promising".

The number of Covid-19 cases in Poland continues to rise, with the government considering reinstating some restrictions as a result. Last Friday, ski slopes were allowed to reopen with cinemas, theatres and hotels also allowed to open at half capacity. Poland is among the EU countries with the fastest vaccination rates. To date, about 6.3% of the population have been vaccinated.

Hungary has raised the possibility of issuing restriction waivers to people who have already had Covid-19 or been vaccinated against it as a way to reopen the economy.

Senegal has received 200,000 doses of the Chinese-developed Sinopharm vaccine. President Macky Sall said the government had bought the vaccine, and did not wait to receive doses from the World Health Organization's Covax scheme, which aims to make it easier for developing nations to buy them.

Venezuela is to begin vaccinating health care workers and public sector employees with the Russian Sputnik V vaccine later today. Human rights groups and opposition figures have criticised the government's response to the pandemic amid claims it has deliberately underreported the numbers of cases and deaths.

Hong Kong is easing limits on how many people can sit together in restaurants, from two to four, while extending the time for indoor dining - it now goes until 22:00 instead of 18:00.

Old 02-18-21, 07:50 AM   #6394
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Some interesting information in the above posts gentlemen and I thank you for that.

The jab I was given on Tuesday was the Pfizer-BioNTech https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=5and whilst I wasn't given a choice I am starting to believe I've been given the correct/best one.

No choice here sadly, I wish people would have it, if only as a comercial thing.
Old 02-18-21, 08:16 AM   #6395
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
The Astrazeneca's vaccine is now the only vaccine being offered here in Australia, should I be worried? should I wait for another?
Honestly, none of us will know. Like you, we are not experts in this field and can only consume information from the internet, then form our opinions. So anyone who tells you yes, no or maybe is just guessing. I will say this; I make the assumption that all the vaccine developers do not want to be sued into oblivion and the testing and trials should hedge toward safety.

Congrats ikalugin, we're still in the dark ages here Literally!
Old 02-18-21, 08:24 AM   #6396
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

But Dr. Seheult is an expert, and his argument is mightily powerful. And plain reason at the same time.
Old 02-18-21, 08:40 AM   #6397
Skybird
Soaring

More good history news.

https://translate.google.com/transla...pfstoff-bekam/

Mind you, Pfizer demands that doses produced in Europe and for European customers now and in the future must be brought to the US and be filled into ampullas in the US, and then"transported back to Europe". Yeah, sure.

I call it foul.

Result of the past and future content of this story and still unfolding story: neglegent slaughter, neglegent physical injuring, nothing else.

Who will be held acountable for these killings and sufferings, and how...?
Old 02-18-21, 12:29 PM   #6398
Skybird
Soaring

Focus reports:

The pharmaceutical companies Biontech / Pfizer initially demanded an extremely high price in the negotiations with the EU about the delivery of the corona vaccine they had developed. According to information from Süddeutscher Zeitung, NDR and WDR, the consortium demanded 54.08 euros per dose for its vaccine, with a purchase of 500 million doses. Pfizer / Biontech wanted a total of 27 billion euros for a quantity of the vaccine that could have been used to vaccinate half of the EU population. The price, according to the companies, includes "the highest percentage discount" that has been offered to an industrialized country worldwide. At 54.08 euros, the Biontech vaccine would have been more than twenty times as expensive as a dose of the vaccine that Astrazeneca developed together with Oxford University. The chairman of the Drugs Commission of the German Medical Association, Wolf Dieter Ludwig, criticized the demand as "dubious". This shows "the pursuit of profit which is in no way justified in the current situation of the pandemic". According to information from SZ, NDR and WDR, the price agreed with Pfizer / Biontech for a dose of the vaccine was 15.50 euros per dose.
Old 02-18-21, 01:07 PM   #6399
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-18-21, 01:13 PM   #6400
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Further 454 people die with Covid in UK
A further 454 people have died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test in the UK, according to the government's daily stats.

This takes the number of deaths by this measure to 119,387.

There have also been a further 12,057 positive cases in the last 24 hours.

Last Thursday there were 678 deaths and 13,494 positive cases reported.

It means a 33% drop in deaths since the equivalent day last week and a drop of about 11% in cases.

Latest UK Covid data in charts

Old 02-18-21, 05:43 PM   #6401
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post

Standard Sputnik-V. You get a questionare then get shown the vial and get the shot. Then you are asked to wait nearby for 30min in case of a random deadly alergic reaction.
I hear there are similar wait times for the other vaccines because of anaphylaxis risks. Knowing this, have you or anyone asked the medical staff what procedure they will take to remedy such adverse reactions BEFORE you got vaccinated?

Would really hate for something like to happen to me only to find out the hard way nobody knew what to do or where the epinephrine was at.

Old 02-18-21, 07:41 PM   #6402
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I hear there are similar wait times for the other vaccines because of anaphylaxis risks. Knowing this, have you or anyone asked the medical staff what procedure they will take to remedy such adverse reactions BEFORE you got vaccinated?

Would really hate for something like to happen to me only to find out the hard way nobody knew what to do or where the epinephrine was at.

I was being vaccinated in a fully stocked private hospital with the ER and so on, so this question did not cross my mind.
Old 02-18-21, 09:25 PM   #6403
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The risk of anaphylaxis is so low its hard to even considerate it as a statistic. I ask it only because sometimes people, even professionals can become complacent and suddenly caught off guard if the feces hits the rotating oscillator. Of course I think about this now but I can guarantee you I'll probably forget to ask when its my turn.

Old 02-19-21, 08:32 AM   #6404
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

About 553,000 people in the UK were estimated to be testing positive for coronavirus in the week to 12 February, the ONS says.

This is roughly 1 in 115 people, down from 790,000 people or 1 in 80 the week before - and rates are falling in all four UK nations.

First Minister Mark Drakeford says the Welsh government is able to make "modest changes" to lockdown regulations.

Four people from two different homes will be able to exercise together from Saturday in Wales and weddings can resume next week.

Boris Johnson will pledge to donate a majority of the UK's surplus vaccine supply to poorer countries in a speech to a virtual G7 meeting.

The UK PM will urge rich countries to back a new 100-day target for the development of new vaccines for future emerging diseases.

French President Emmanuel Macron calls on Europe and the US to urgently send up to 5% of their vaccine supplies to developing nations.

Millions of people are out of pocket on flights they were unable to board due to coronavirus restrictions, consumer group Which? says.

Old 02-19-21, 08:52 AM   #6405
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A dramatic day awaits in the Netherlands as the government fights to maintain its overnight Covid curfew. Mark Rutte's caretaker government will appeal this morning against a court’s decision to lift the 21:00-04:30 curfew because ministers used national emergency legislation. In case the appeal fails, a new curfew law will be heard by the upper house of parliament to replace it.

Germany has reportedly appointed a special commissioner to help speed up the supply of vaccines. Spiegel website says Christoph Krupp’s job will be to help companies accelerate production and act as their point man with the government. Germany has so far given almost three million people, 3.6% of the population, an initial dose.

France has increased isolation periods for people infected with Covid-19 from seven to 10 days. Health minister Olivier Véran says some scientific studies suggest new variants mean you could be infectious for longer. France says one million people have now had both shots of the Covid vaccine.

Italy’s new PM Mario Draghi easily won his confidence vote by MPs last night by 535 votes to 56. The former head of the European Central Bank won backing across the political spectrum, from the centre-left to the far right.

If you work at the Vatican and refuse to get vaccinated you could lose your job under a new decree. The Vatican says staff will need to provide a medical reason for not having the jab or face the consequences.

Portugal has temporarily slowed down the vaccination of key workers such as police, armed forces and firefighters because of a shortage of doses.
Henrique Gouveia e Melo, head of Portugal's vaccination taskforce said the focus must be on "saving lives".
He said 90% of available doses will now be given to just two groups: people aged 80 and over, and people aged between 50 and 79 who have heart, coronary, kidney and severe respiratory diseases.
Only the remaining 10% will be given to the groups of specified key workers.

Russia has offered the African Union (AU) 300 million doses of its Covid vaccine, Sputnik V, reports Reuters news agency.

The entire adult population of about 30,000 people in the city of Serrana, Brazil, will be vaccinated against Covid-19 over the next two months, to test whether it lowers the infection rate - as part of an ongoing medical trial.

Eswatini has extended a partial lockdown imposed to prevent the spread of coronavirus for another two weeks.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan