SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-09, 08:05 PM   #1
Marinesko
Seaman

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Manual TDC and a general question

I had a chance to try manual targetting in the Type IX, but I had a couple problems. The main problem is I couldn't find a way to manually input the speed. The speed estimation tool made a crazily high estimate(21 knots, trust me, there was no way), and earlier it had estimated 8 knots. So I could either input a speed I knew was wrong, or the 8 knots, which was also much to fast. (It was something more like 5.5, I did the clock estimation thing). Is there a way to manually input the speed?

Also, I was wondering if there is a more efficient way to find the AOB. The way I use is with the protractor, drawing a line in front on line with the target's course, and measuring the angle between the course and line of sight. I was just wondering if there is any faster method. This is especially important with the German boat since it doesn't have a PK and I assume that due to this I need to update the AOB at least once before firing.
Marinesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 02:18 AM   #2
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

the addon is bugged.

go to the attack map (next to navigation map), there you can set all up for the shot. keep update map activated and have your shot from there...

everything else will become a real pain in the a.s

kr morph
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 03:02 AM   #3
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

The manual TDC inputs are at the attack map, the one for speed too.

You can either update the AoB before firing or use methods with a preset firing solution - see mainly the SH3 forums for that. Fast-90 tageting should be one of those things you would be looking for there.

Also helpful might be the AoB wheel which saves you from computing AoB in your head. You only need to know the target's course, your own heading and bearing to target for that.
I found that thing around here somewhere too, but there's also a version of it in the SH3 mods forum (IIRC it was one of Hitman's mods). You need to print it and put it together, but it isn't that much of a work.

*OR* wait for OLC's GUI mod (SH3 also) to be made ready for SH4 .

Quote:
the addon is bugged.

go to the attack map (next to navigation map), there you can set all up for the shot. keep update map activated and have your shot from there...

everything else will become a real pain in the a.s

kr morph
What do you mean by 'bugged' ?
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 03:38 AM   #4
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso View Post
What do you mean by 'bugged' ?
Have you ever managed to setup a correct firingsolution on a german boat without the "update map" feature using the attack map, with 1.5 stock version?

If yes, you have my respect

kr morph
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:05 AM   #5
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

With a U-boat and 1.5 stock I'm afraid I have to say no ^^. I just tested the TDC and the settings and everything seemed fine.
That's why I asked for the particular bug you meant.
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 07:02 AM   #6
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

try posting in the ATO forum, its for the uboat side of the game and you should get some help with this problem over there
Old 04-24-09, 02:51 PM   #7
Marinesko
Seaman

Downloads: 2

I check that out after trying the suggestions made. The thing is I must be getting better because last night, before I discovered the problem, I was actually able to sink a ship. 2 hits and one dud. The thing is, had I not heard about plotting on the attack map today, I would not have been able to go after the other ships because the speed thing was way off.
Marinesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 04:51 PM   #8
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Have you ever managed to setup a correct firingsolution on a german boat without the "update map" feature using the attack map, with 1.5 stock version?

If yes, you have my respect

kr morph
So what's the problem there? People have been doing that for ages in SH3, and here the only difference is you can't use notepad.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote