SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-20, 08:09 AM   #4561
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:10 AM   #4562
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-06-20, 12:04 PM   #4563
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has risen by 950 since yesterday, according to the latest government figures, taking the total number of people who have tested positive for the virus to 308,134.

This is an increase in the number of cases reported yesterday, 892.

On Wednesday, the seven-day daily average of cases was 820.

In Wales, another three people have died after testing positive, and 15 more cases were recorded.

There were 43 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Northern Ireland. No new deaths were reported.

Across Scotland, a further 67 positive tests were announced. Of these, 39 were in the Grampian health board area, which includes freshly locked down Aberdeen. However, no new deaths were recorded for the 21st consecutive day.

Old 08-06-20, 12:29 PM   #4564
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Glad to learn of it but I fear matters might change when the flu/influenza season pays us a visit.
I hope the flu/cold season is a lot less this year due to all of the concern about Covid-19 and people working from home and people out and about wearing mask, not to mention hand sanitizer and gloves ...

either way I'm not taking Advill ever again, even though it works, due to reports of liver damage.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 12:40 PM   #4565
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I hope the flu/cold season is a lot less this year due to all of the concern about Covid-19 and people working from home and people out and about wearing mask, not to mention hand sanitizer and gloves ...

either way I'm not taking Advill ever again, even though it works, due to reports of liver damage.
Being a type2 diabetic for the past couple of years means I'm prescribed Metformin and I read somewhere yesterday it is suspected of bringing about the early onset of dementia.

Old 08-06-20, 01:28 PM   #4566
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

If certain people who have the power to influence and command others - without calling names - intentionally or out of pure ignorance deny wearing a mask to protect others, because of a perceived intrusion in their privacy or because of denying the covid virus entirely:
Wouldn't it be correct to not help them when they get infected?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 01:40 PM   #4567
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
If certain people who have the power to influence and command others - without calling names - intentionally or out of pure ignorance deny wearing a mask to protect others, because of a perceived intrusion in their privacy or because of denying the covid virus entirely:
Wouldn't it be correct to not help them when they get infected?
It would be correct. At least not helping them at the (financial) cost of others and medical disadvantage of others.

I am against banning smoking. But I would ban treatment of diseases an individual formed out as a consequence of its smoking, from being paid for by its mandatory/"solidaric" health insurrance. They shoukld need to pay for their treatment all by themselves.

Its about justice. Justice is about self-responsibility, and reciprocal consequence from decisions one makes.

Its like with a cinema: you do not care to buy a ticket, you do not get let in to watch the movie. You yell and vandalise during the movie - you get thrown out.
Old 08-06-20, 02:41 PM   #4568
Skybird
Soaring

We cannot like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/news/nur-60-prozent-der-genesenen-entwickeln-antikoerper-manche-davon-helfen-virus-sogar_id_12291157.html

Dangerous "double agents": Only 60 percent of those who recover develop antibodies - some of them even help the virus

Thursday, August 6th, 2020

After surviving Covid-19 disease, some patients develop antibodies that make it easier for the virus to get into their bodies in the event of future attacks. Researchers from Vienna recently made this surprising finding.

Scientists from the Institute for Pathophysiology and Allergy Research at the Medical University of Vienna found that only around 60 percent of the subjects in their study who had Covid-19 and recovered developed protective antibodies. They published their results in the journal "Allergy".

For their analysis, they examined the data from 25 subjects. Only six of the subjects inhibited the antibodies from binding the virus to the ACE2 receptor by more than 50 percent, and from nine subjects inhibited them by up to 50 percent.

The antibodies of five test subjects were unable to inhibit binding at all. In a further five test subjects, the researchers also found that the virus was able to dock to the cell's ACE2 receptor better than before. The renewed infection of the cell was made easier by the body's own antibodies for the virus - they acted as “double agents”, once for and once against their own body.

Specifically, the research team discovered that only 60 percent of recovered Covid-19 patients developed antibodies that inhibit the interaction of the Sars-CoV-2 receptor binding domain (RBD) with ACE2. The ACE2 receptor (angiotensin converting enzyme-2) for Sars-CoV-2 occurs especially in the respiratory tract and other organs affected by the virus.

The scientists also found that certain immune complexes, which consist of RBD and antibodies from the patient, have an increased rate of binding to ACE2. That would be a hitherto unknown mechanism that enables the virus to more easily attach to body cells.

"This is the first study that shows increased binding to ACE2 through immune complexes consisting of RBD and patient antibodies," explains study leader Rudolf Valenta. "This potentially makes it even easier for the virus to settle and spread." Further research is now to find out exactly what that means for immunity and vaccine development.

Several studies have already shown that some people who have recovered from Covid-19 only have antibodies against Sars-CoV-2 for a short time. "The extent to which this has an impact on long-term immunity and vaccination strategies is still speculative, but must be monitored critically in the further course," said Clemens Wendtner, chief physician of the Clinic for Infectious Diseases at Munich Clinic Schwabing, after a German study on similar results came.
"Herd immunity"...?

Old 08-06-20, 03:00 PM   #4569
Skybird
Soaring

A university of Washington model predicts 300,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US by Decembre 1st.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/un...id-19-by-dec-1

In Germany, new case numbers are soaring up. We are about to loose all wins we gained in the past months since all this began. I fear it will become worse when flu season and cooler weather season starts.

I do not think any politician will dare a second full lockdown, nevertheless I have started to resupply some reserves I have consumed over the past months without resupplying them immediately (to avoid supermarkets). "Readiness is all". Another stockpile of face masks is on its way, too, and hand sanitizer. "Reap and enjoy while the abundance lasts"... Dating the dentist - thats a real problem, the situation there is almost comically absurd: people go in and out, foreigners, and there you lie with your MOUTH WIDE OPEN. Not good.
Old 08-06-20, 03:12 PM   #4570
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

This made me remember what a Danish Doctor said on Danish tv when Denmark open face 1-Which meant children was allowed to go back to school.

"Children seems to have greater resilience, than the elder. So the parent shouldn't be nervous."

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 04:07 PM   #4571
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A university of Washington model predicts 300,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US by Decembre 1st.

Not good.

...but on the bright side zero deaths from the flu.
Old 08-06-20, 07:04 PM   #4572
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Being a type2 diabetic for the past couple of years means I'm prescribed Metformin and I read somewhere yesterday it is suspected of bringing about the early onset of dementia.

Hold the phone, when did this happen? Make sure you stay on top of that.
Old 08-06-20, 08:07 PM   #4573
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

This is the DOT (department of transportation) not a local agency

Face shields to be mandatory for commuters

https://www.yahoo.com/news/face-shie...000000073.html

Quote:
Commuters will soon be adding the wearing of face shields—aside from facemasks—as part of their daily requirement when taking public transportation, the Department of Transportation announced.

Effective August 15, passengers of any mode of public transportation will be required to wear face shields, as stated in a memorandum circular issued by the transportation department last Tuesday (August 4).
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:14 PM   #4574
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
This is the DOT (department of transportation) not a local agency

Face shields to be mandatory for commuters

https://www.yahoo.com/news/face-shie...000000073.html

I read that whole article. No where did I find what country this is supposed to be. It ain't America.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:39 PM   #4575
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

That article was written by Ruben Manahan IV who works for, among others I assume, Yahoo Singapore and Yahoo News Phillipines
(source https://muckrack.com/ruben-manahan-iv )

A name there is Artemio Tuazon Jr who is an Undersecretary for Administrative Service in the Phillipines. August is correct as it's fairly safe to assume this artice is about the situation in the Phillipines then, not the US.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan