SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-20, 01:58 AM   #16
CassiousClay
Mate

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Maybe I'm getting old LOL. The stuff we need to learn and know just to play this game can be overwhelming. But that's exactly why I wanted a sub sim.

Here is what I do remember to do from what you taught me, Sicknets:

1. Periscope and lock. Press X (L in SH3) to follow target with scope.
2. Mark, time, and measure to get the speed.
3. Get angle of bow with protractor starting from my ship, draw to target ship, draw angle line referencing it's bow point.

and that's where I think I'm missing a step. In fact now that I typed it out I think what I'm not doing is setting the AOB in whatever dial it needs to be set in.

The next step I do is watch the gyro angle dials waiting for them to zero to fire.
CassiousClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 02:03 AM   #17
Sickents
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiousClay View Post
Maybe I'm getting old LOL. The stuff we need to learn and know just to play this game can be overwhelming. But that's exactly why I wanted a sub sim.

Here is what I do remember to do from what you taught me, Sicknets:

1. Periscope and lock. Press X (L in SH3) to follow target with scope.
2. Mark, time, and measure to get the speed.
3. Get angle of bow with protractor starting from my ship, draw to target ship, draw angle line referencing it's bow point.

and that's where I think I'm missing a step. In fact now that I typed it out I think what I'm not doing is setting the AOB in whatever dial it needs to be set in.

The next step I do is watch the gyro angle dials waiting for them to zero to fire.
yes sounds like an AOB issue, make sure you are still locked onto the target when you input the AOB value, if it is not locked onto the target when you input the AOB, it will be incorrect, as the TDC will be auto keeping track and calculating from the point of where the periscope was at the time of input
Sickents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 02:06 AM   #18
CassiousClay
Mate

Where do I put the AOB once I have it? That's the part I'm not doing, I think.
There may be more I'm forgetting and not doing.
Old 12-12-20, 02:11 AM   #19
Sickents
Watch

Quote:
Where do I put the AOB once I have it? That's the part I'm not doing, I think.
There may be more I'm forgetting and not doing.

into this dial

now remember when looking at the ship, if the bow is crossing your scope to the right direction, the ship is moving right, you need to input the bow degree's to the right in the dial, if its moving left in the periscope, the needle goes on the left side of the dial.

you need to click the tdc unlock button on the tdc and input and once inputted press the tdc lock button again

Old 12-12-20, 02:13 AM   #20
CassiousClay
Mate

��
Thanks! I would have figured that out if I looked. hahaha

Is that lock button the same as what X in SH5 and L in SH3 does?
Old 12-12-20, 02:17 AM   #21
Sickents
Watch

Quote:
��
Thanks! I would have figured that out if I looked. hahaha

Is that lock button the same as what X in SH5 and L in SH3 does?
No, that lock button just tracks the ship and keeps your periscope locked to the ship, The TDC lock and unlock button is just for making inputs into the TDC eg, SPEED, AOB , RANGE
Old 12-12-20, 02:18 AM   #22
CassiousClay
Mate

Got it. Thanks!
Old 12-20-20, 12:14 AM   #23
RedHammer
Loader

Downloads: 38

I had this issue occur even using the 3.15 method.
However, just a few weeks ago I found that in most Uboat-sim (SH, Uboat etc) mega mods I've played the modders are kind enough to include a panel in the map/attack map called "minuten", it shows a spread sheet conversion of meters per minute > knots.
For example, 216m traveled in 1min = 7 knots, 432m traveled in 1min = 14 knots.
And so forth.
So what I do is go to the map, set a marker just in front of the enemy ship, when bow of the enemy ship passes marker = Start chronometer.
A minute passes, set marker at the bow of the enemy ship, if it says 210m = Close enough to just set it at 7kn, but if you want to be "that" about it, set TDC target speed dial to JUST below 7kn.

If you're in a hurry you can do 30s, lets say in 30s enemy ship travels 108m.
30s is half a minute, so 108m X 2 = 216m, 216m in one minute = 7kn.
54m in 15s, 15s is 1/4th of a minute, so, 54m X 4 = 216m in one minute = 7kn.
If you get something exactly in between 7 and 8 kn, just set it to 7,5kn, if it looks like it's 5-1/3kn then thats where you set the dial.

Been pulling off 3.7km accurate pin-point shots with this method in Uboat, and I imagine it'll work just as well in SH5.

If the map tool isnt there, simply google "X meters per minute to knot", make a small sheet starting from 1kn all the way up to 40kn and you should be well covered ^^
RedHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 07:03 AM   #24
CassiousClay
Mate

Thanks, Redhammer. I have getting the target's speed and angle of bow down. As you see in the thread what I was forgetting and not doing is setting angle of bow.

Now my issues are positioning my ship at a 90 from the target. I'm able to figure out where I need to put my ship so I'm at a 90° angle from the target but getting to that location and pointing my bow correctly is the issue.

I'm using MagUI again because it's the only mod I've found that works for me so the text is large enough that I can read it. I'd really like to use ARB's 1920x1080 mod but the text is just way too tiny, impossible for me to read due to the size of my monitor and the distance I sit from it.

The other issue I'm having is with MagUI there are no target icons on either the main or attack map when I'm submerged so it's impossible for me to know exactly where the target is so I'm even able to do the measurements and calculations to set the TDC dials with.

It would be really extremely nice if someone would finally provide an answer as to how to increase the text size in the game. That's all I need is the answer to that question. It's been asked several times by several people.
It's obviously possible to change because the text size is different in every mod.
Old 12-20-20, 09:08 AM   #25
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Thanks, Redhammer. I have getting the target's speed and angle of bow down. As you see in the thread what I was forgetting and not doing is setting angle of bow.

Now my issues are positioning my ship at a 90 from the target. I'm able to figure out where I need to put my ship so I'm at a 90° angle from the target but getting to that location and pointing my bow correctly is the issue.

I'm using MagUI again because it's the only mod I've found that works for me so the text is large enough that I can read it. I'd really like to use ARB's 1920x1080 mod but the text is just way too tiny, impossible for me to read due to the size of my monitor and the distance I sit from it.

The other issue I'm having is with MagUI there are no target icons on either the main or attack map when I'm submerged so it's impossible for me to know exactly where the target is so I'm even able to do the measurements and calculations to set the TDC dials with.

It would be really extremely nice if someone would finally provide an answer as to how to increase the text size in the game. That's all I need is the answer to that question. It's been asked several times by several people.
It's obviously possible to change because the text size is different in every mod.
You're making targeting harder than it needs to be. I.e., if you want to shoot at 90 degrees to the target you don't ever need to figure out its aob; it'll be 90 degrees at the only time its needed.

Regarding font size the console message text is found in the menu_1024_768.ini file, which is found in the game install/data/menu path.
Using the edit function in notepad search for "messages". You want the block that has only that at it's head; not "radio messages", "group messages", etc. Just "messages"
It's commonly at group G3f i159 but if the file has been already modded that may be different on yours.
In that "messages" group you'll see a line that says "Font=x". That controls what font is used in the console messages.
At the top of the file are the fonts available to use under the heading "Fonts".
Not all of them will work in the console; you must note what number font is currently in use and only use similar fonts in it's place.
I.e., mine (and probably yours) has a font of 8. Looking in the Fonts group at the top of the file, I see that font 8 is a MFPHunt12.tga file. So I would look for other MFPHunt.tga fonts available to use.
In my file the only MFPHunt.tga file larger would be font 9.
However note: increasing the font size can lead to messages being truncated in the console. The console would also need to be enlarged to prevent this, which while not difficult to do, is a much more involved process.
Anyway, take a look at that file and experiment..............AFTER YOU BACK IT UP FIRST ! If this file isn't how the game wants it, the game won't load.
If you find something that works for you make a mod folder and you're set.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 12-21-20 at 07:42 AM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 09:19 AM   #26
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Think in terms of courses and use the TDC to your advantage. What I mean by that is, once you determine the target’s course, simply add or subtract 90° from that depending on the side of the target you are on, and turn to that course, no further turning required. Now, put your scope to zero, set 90 left or right AOB on the TDC depending on what direction the target’s bow is pointing. Click the TDC to update, turn your scope and you see now that the computer is updating AOB for every degree of bearing change. So now, as long as you don’t change course or the target doesn’t change course, the AOB will be valid throughout.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 12:29 PM   #27
CassiousClay
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
You're making targeting harder than it needs to be. I.e., if you want to shoot at 90 degrees to the target you don't ever need to figure out its aob; it'll be 90 degrees at the only time its needed.

Regarding font size the console message text is found in the menu_1024_768.ini file, which is found in the game install/data/menu path.
Using the edit function in notepad search for "messages". You want the block that has only that at it's head; not "radio messages", "group messages", etc. Just "messages"
It's commonly at group G3f i159 but if the file has been already modded that may be different on yours.
In that "messages" group you'll see a line that says "Font=x". That controls what font is used in the console messages.
At the top of the file are the fonts available to use under the heading "Fonts".
Not all of them will work in the console; you must note what number font is currently in use and only use similar fonts in it's place.
I.e., mine (and probably yours) has a font of 8. Looking in the Fonts group at the top of the file, I see that font 8 is a MFPHunt12.tga file. So I would look for other MFPHunt.tga fonts available to use.
In my file the only MFPHunt.tga file larger would be font 9.
However note: increasing the font size can lead to messages being truncated in the console. The console would also need to be enlarged to prevent this, which while not difficult to do, is a much move involved process.
Anyway, take a look at that file and experiment..............AFTER YOU BACK IT UP FIRST ! If this file isn't how the game wants it, the game won't load.
If you find something that works for you make a mod folder and you're set.

LOL yeah I probably am making it too complicated. Because it truly was pretty complicated for them to figure it out in real life. It's amazing how they figured out and applied all this stuff.

Thanks for the text info I've been looking for an answer like that telling me exactly where it is and what to change for 6 weeks! I am and was getting very frustrated at not getting any answers at all. I also got an answer from LH3 support that basically said to increase the text size I'd have to pretty much create my own mod.

That...ummmm...No. This game is once again a few millimetres from being thrown in the trash I'm beyond exhausted and frustrated with it. Again.
This hasn't been fun at all and that's what games should be, fun and relaxing, not a frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Think in terms of courses and use the TDC to your advantage. What I mean by that is, once you determine the target’s course, simply add or subtract 90° from that depending on the side of the target you are on, and turn to that course, no further turning required. Now, put your scope to zero, set 90 left or right AOB on the TDC depending on what direction the target’s bow is pointing. Click the TDC to update, turn your scope and you see now that the computer is updating AOB for every degree of bearing change. So now, as long as you don’t change course or the target doesn’t change course, the AOB will be valid throughout.
This game makes my head numb like I've been working at coding an application for 18 hours straight.

And there's yet another way of doing targeting. I need to find ONE way that works. lol
Old 12-20-20, 12:43 PM   #28
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
LOL yeah I probably am making it too complicated. Because it truly was pretty complicated for them to figure it out in real life. It's amazing how they figured out and applied all this stuff.

Thanks for the text info I've been looking for an answer like that telling me exactly where it is and what to change for 6 weeks! I am and was getting very frustrated at not getting any answers at all. I also got an answer from LH3 support that basically said to increase the text size I'd have to pretty much create my own mod.

That...ummmm...No. This game is once again a few millimetres from being thrown in the trash I'm beyond exhausted and frustrated with it. Again.
This hasn't been fun at all and that's what games should be, fun and relaxing, not a frustration.

This game makes my head numb like I've been working at coding an application for 18 hours straight.

And there's yet another way of doing targeting. I need to find ONE way that works. lol
Have to remember; irl there were several people putting all this info. together not just one.
The attack method derstrosstrupp and I described is an easy, very accurate and historical method. It's the only way I attack.
Its sometimes called the Fast 90 attack method so google that for more info. if needed. Writing about it makes it sound more difficult that it really is.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 12-20-20 at 12:51 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 12:43 PM   #29
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Pick one at a time, try it out, if it doesn’t work for you, move to the next.

The one I described is known in the community as a “fast 90”, and it is very simple and straightforward.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 12:54 PM   #30
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Also if you're not, turn on map contacts and use WO assistance for range, etc. Start simple, sounds like you're not.
Nothing wrong with that and once you get that second nature if desired you can move onto something else.
I'm a big fan of and use the Assisted Plotting Mod (via NYGM's version) but start simple at first.