SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-24, 07:45 PM   #511
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Are you interested specially in the 450 bushmaster? The bullet diameter is the same size as any modern day .45 colt which is .452 in dia. Might open up a few more rifle options that could interest ya.

Anyway, Henry has break action single shot chambered in 450 bushmaster for $597.00

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-24, 01:30 AM   #512
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Are you interested specially in the 450 bushmaster? The bullet diameter is the same size as any modern day .45 colt which is .452 in dia. Might open up a few more rifle options that could interest ya.

Anyway, Henry has break action single shot chambered in 450 bushmaster for $597.00

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

The single shot Henry is on the short list as well. I have always liked the traditional look of that particular Henry rifle. I seem to remember when that rifle model first came out it had some sort of safety issue that I imagine has been resolved. Haven't seen anything about it lately. I do want a powerful cartridge that can take down large predators of any type.
Old 04-09-24, 07:20 AM   #513
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

A powerful charge you say? Then spend mo’ money and get a nice side gate lever action in 45-70 government, loaded big it can produce close to 3400 foot pounds of energy. Charging Grizzly? No problem, it will smash through his skull scramble his brains, go straight past hide, fat, muscle, bone, clean through the boiler room and out its arse. It a heavy ol’ cuss bullet drop fairly significant compared to others.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-09-24 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 09:37 AM   #514
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

INDEED! I still shoot an original infantry 'trapdoor' Springfield rifle and a Shiloh Sharps carbine in 45-70. I resize and reload the Springfield with black powder and use only factory modern nitrate propellant rounds in the carbine; saving the brass for the Springfield reloads. Both weapons are absolute thunder hogs capable of serious carnage. At the range, heads turn at the blast from the long Springfield. I let the kids fire it just so they can say they once did so. The single-shot breechloader weapon was last used by US reserves in the Spanish American War but could not hold its own against the Spanish Mauser weapons on the battlefield in Cuba.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-24, 09:58 AM   #515
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Currently compressing 40 grains of Swiss 3f into 45-40 brass topped with an Elmer Keith style 255 grain .452 SWC. A charge developed for our boys in blue to take down enemy horses on the fly love going to the range everyone shooting smokeless loud cracks and bangs. I step up pull the trigger and out comes a this thunderous THUMP and a cloud of smoke drifts across the firing line causing everyone to stop what they’re doing to look and see what the hell was that!

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-09-24 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 10:39 AM   #516
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Those Marlins lever actions now made by Ruger do sound nice. I could get one of those Henry single shots in 45-70 instead without breaking the bank. 45-70 is some darned expensive ammo. I'd love something like the Shiloh Sharps with a tang sight, but I think my friends who aren't exactly careful with any of my stuff will be borrowing whatever I buy occasionally and I don't think I'd let them touch my Shiloh Sharps if I had one. I'd have to get a "Gus" cowboy hat too, and maybe even a horse.
Old 04-09-24, 01:19 PM   #517
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Finished up 30 rounds of .45-40 (left) for my 1873 saa and .44 cal paper cartridges 25 filled with 30 grain Swiss 3f. 10 with 30 grains of triple 7 topped with a 216 grain .460 dia Johnston & Dow soft cast for my 1858.

Both Uberti clones

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-09-24 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-10-24, 08:35 AM   #518
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Those Marlins lever actions now made by Ruger do sound nice. I could get one of those Henry single shots in 45-70 instead without breaking the bank. 45-70 is some darned expensive ammo. I'd love something like the Shiloh Sharps with a tang sight, but I think my friends who aren't exactly careful with any of my stuff will be borrowing whatever I buy occasionally and I don't think I'd let them touch my Shiloh Sharps if I had one. I'd have to get a "Gus" cowboy hat too, and maybe even a horse.

No need to break the bank, Aktungbby can pay for it. . https://www.govloans.gov/

Ammo, primers and powder are getting real expensive thanks to all those damn the end is nigh hoarders out there and I heard some scuttlebutt that a lot of the industry has been concentrating on new military contracts to increase ammo stocks. Who knows for sure.

Reloading your own is still a lot cheaper imo, initial costs of the tools pays for itself PDQ. And if you go with blackpowder the nice thing about that is if push comes to shove you can always make your own.

This fella has perfected the art of home brewed BP

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-10-24 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 12:37 PM   #519
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Reloading your own is still a lot cheaper imo, initial costs of the tools pays for itself PDQ.
Which would dovetail nicely with my thoughts about substituting silver for lead bullets to reduce bug out weights.
Old 04-10-24, 01:23 PM   #520
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Which would dovetail nicely with my thoughts about substituting silver for lead bullets to reduce bug out weights.
Great for fighting werewolves and it’s environmentally friendly! Never knew you were such tree hugger.

Old 04-10-24, 07:18 PM   #521
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Never knew you were such tree hugger.
I'm more fond of trees than i am of most people.
Old 04-11-24, 05:02 AM   #522
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Is there cowboy action shooting ammo for the M1911 that produces lovely clouds of smoke to drift across the gun range? ...or I guess you could load your own?
Old 04-12-24, 07:41 AM   #523
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Is there cowboy action shooting ammo for the M1911 that produces lovely clouds of smoke to drift across the gun range? ...or I guess you could load your own?
It’ll throw lead but from what I understand black powder doesn’t generate the chamber pressures one achieves with smokeless making the semi-auto action unreliable.

Plus back powder is dirty and will gunk things up pretty fast.

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles