SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-21, 02:03 PM   #6481
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The UK's four chief medical officers agree the Covid-19 alert level should move from five - its highest - down to four.
Another 323 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test and 9,985 more cases have been recorded.

A further 448,962 first Covid vaccine doses and 31,613 second doses were given out yesterday. It means a total of 18,691,835 first doses and 700,718 second doses have been administered across the UK since the rollout began in December.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 06:27 AM   #6482
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Managed to get the wife booked in for her first jab on Sunday so that's a bit of weight off my mind. Felt guilty getting mine first.

Old 02-26-21, 07:02 AM   #6483
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Vaccinating people in order of age is the fastest way to cut Covid-19 deaths in the next phase of the roll-out, experts say.

People in their 40s will be next in line, followed by those aged 30-39, and then all aged 18-29

Scientific advisers think it is best to prioritise people by age, not profession.

Keeping windows open is more effective at reducing transmission than young children wearing masks, experts say.

The Department for Education says primary school children should not be asked to wear masks.

The Queen encourages those who are reluctant to have a Covid-19 jab to "think about other people rather than themselves"

Old 02-26-21, 07:09 AM   #6484
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The US Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory panel will meet today to decide on whether to authorise a coronavirus jab made by Johnson & Johnson, having already concluded it is safe and effective.

The government in Vietnam say they will acquire 150 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines, through Covax and direct purchases after health officials approved use of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine and the Moderna vaccine.

A group of diplomats from Russia had to make an unusual exit out of North Korea by using a hand-pushed rail trolley due to strict coronavirus restrictions on travel in and out of the country.

A British man has been sentenced to two weeks in prison for breaking Singapore's quarantine rules.

Old 02-26-21, 07:14 AM   #6485
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Angela Merkel refuses Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine as 1.4m doses go unused in Germany.

The EU is still lagging far behind Israel, the US and UK in terms of people vaccinated, so EU leaders have vowed to speed up deliveries and sort out the bottlenecks. The 29m vaccinated so far is 6.4% of the EU’s population. The bloc has ordered more than 2bn doses, for a total population of about 450m. But it is also committed to sending vaccines to neighbouring non-EU countries.

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said shortages of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine were down to the “very complex biological process that involves thousands of elements to track”. He told MEPs “we are working 24/7 to increase capacity and deliver on these commitments”

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not being given to the over-65s in France, Belgium and Germany. The authorities cite insufficient data on its effectiveness in the oldest age group. French President Emmanuel Macron has controversially voiced doubts about the vaccine, but on Thursday he said he would gladly have the AstraZeneca jab, if that was offered to him.

Dr Klaus Reinhardt, president of the German Medical Association, described the AstraZeneca vaccine as “just as effective” as the Pfizer and Moderna ones. However, more than a million AstraZeneca doses are currently in storage in Germany, as vaccination progress remains slow.

The Czech Republic is set to tighten restrictions again, amid a big surge in cases. The plan is to extend a state of emergency to the end of March, banning all but essential travel between regions and closing schools, reimposing distance learning. The European countries with the highest Covid deaths per million people are: Belgium (1,900), Czech Republic (1,850), Slovenia (1,830) and the UK (1,790).

Old 02-26-21, 10:47 AM   #6486
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Successfully got the first shot this morning and my 5G is much better than before!

Old 02-26-21, 10:52 AM   #6487
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-26-21, 11:10 AM   #6488
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Successfully got the first shot this morning and my 5G is much better than before!

Dont squeeze it too careless else it crumbles between your fingers, easily!

And don't get angry. We dont want you turning green.
Old 02-26-21, 11:50 AM   #6489
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Angela Merkel refuses Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine as ...

Hm? Cannot find anything on that?!
Old 02-26-21, 12:27 PM   #6490
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
it has been in the news here almost in every hourly news program.

The Danish Prime Minister has said, that Denmark would gladly buy these 1.5 million AstraZeneca dosis from Germany

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 12:42 PM   #6491
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

The more I think about it, I'm glad I'm in the age group who are the last to get the jab. Though I still plan on getting it, I'm certainly in no rush. Vaccines have been rolled out under Emergency Use Authorization. FDA expects manufacturers who receive an EUA to continue their clinical trials to obtain additional safety and effectiveness information and pursue licensure (approval).

You older less healthy people are like the Tuskegee airmen of our time. Let us know if you start growing a third big toe or something because it seems you are part of a continuing clinical study before the vaccine can be fully licensed and approved.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-26-21 at 12:52 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 01:25 PM   #6492
Skybird
Soaring

^ Yes, me too. I would take an opportunity to get any vaccine, but I am not in any kind of rush or hurry, nor do I sit and wait for it. To me even the vaccination is no 100% all-in-one solution, but just another tick (though maybe a bigger one) on the probability slider in my favour: to improve my chances to not suffer hospitalization when getting ill, like masks, Vitamin-D, keepin my distances to others, avoiding aerosole clouds. It all is about tuning probabilities in my (your) favour.
Old 02-26-21, 01:29 PM   #6493
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
it has been in the news here almost in every hourly news program.

The Danish Prime Minister has said, that Denmark would gladly buy these 1.5 million AstraZeneca dosis from Germany

Markus
The Danes maybe have a cleverness that the Germans have not.

But it has nothing to do with Jim'S news that Merkel should have refused to get the AZ jab. She refused, AFAIK, that political lead personnel in general (including herself) get prioritized vaccination, no matter which vaccine. The background is that some locla politicians and quite some church leaders (!!) jumped the queue while they had no priority by age, or health conditions.
Old 02-26-21, 01:49 PM   #6494
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...e-b921333.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...irus-s97vctrzr

Old 02-26-21, 02:02 PM   #6495
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The next phase of the UK's vaccine rollout will be based on age rather than occupation, with those in their 40s next in line.

There is a "moral duty" to put saving lives first in the rollout, Health Secretary Matt Hancock says.

Hancock tells a Downing Street briefing that the aged-based approach is "fastest and simplest way"

The health secretary also calls on people to "stick at it" in terms of observing the stay-at-home rules.

"Do not wreck this now... it is too early to relax", England's deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam adds.

A further 345 people in the UK have died within 28 days of a positive Covid test - a fall of 35% compared with last Friday.

The Ivory Coast receives its first shipment from the global vaccine-sharing scheme Covax.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan