SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-15, 03:11 PM   #1
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Two questions concerning targeting/ torpedo control using manual TDC

Hi,

again a some questions for a better understanding of weapon control in my american campaign. tIt's he first using TMO 2.5 and 100% realism - should be less, because I can't live without the map contacts, though I only use them for awareness (especially radar and sonar), not aiming. Anyway:
1) It seems that I cannot just lock in a bearing with my periscope and send the torpedoes that way, right? Do I also have to lock in range or do I always have to "L" a target?
2) The TDC allows to deviate torpedoes to the left or right of the aiming line. Do the degrees on the TDC match the "degree dashes" on the periscope? So that I can aim for "three degrees left of the aiming line is the bow turrets' magazine, yep, that's where I want you to go."

Thanks
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 10:48 PM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

#1 If I want to send torpedoes, say 30 deg. left, I can rotate the scope to 330, set the range on the right slideout to the max. value (this is 11000 yds. in RFB), and press the red send to TDC button. Of course, the speed value should be zero, when you do this. Since the parallax error at 11000 yds. is very nearly zero, the TDC will set the gyro angle to a value very close to 330 (left 30 degrees).

#2 No. I would not put much reliance on the hash marks on the scope reticle. These are known to be inaccurate.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 11:03 PM   #3
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post

#2 No. I would not put much reliance on the hash marks on the scope reticle. These are known to be inaccurate.
Also, your fish goes a ways before its gyro turns it, plus there's the distance between your scope and the tubes. So, the closer to dead ahead you are shooting, the better. That said, the Dick O'Kane method would suggest that the tics are reasonably reliable when the range is short and the AOB is minimal
Old 01-09-15, 12:19 AM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
That said, the Dick O'Kane method would suggest that the tics are reasonably reliable when the range is short and the AOB is minimal
I based my statement about the hash marks on CapnScurvy's exhaustive work on manual targeting accuracy with the stadimeter and telemeter marks. It is worth delving into, if you plan on using the telemeter marks.

Quote:
Also, your fish goes a ways before its gyro turns it, plus there's the distance between your scope and the tubes. So, the closer to dead ahead you are shooting, the better.
Yes, I mentioned parallax error. And I assume that Spraug knows the fish and tubes displace the torpedo track forward/backwards from the scope.

It is a myth that one must shoot targets "dead ahead" to obtain success. This is neither true in real-life, nor in this game. Really, the development of the USN's TDC, to say nothing of torpedoes that could turn, would have been wasted effort, if that were the case.
There are alternate methods, apart from the "Dick O'Kane method" that do not rely on the game TDC's calculations, like THIS, for instance.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 04:53 AM   #5
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
SHO Thanks

Thanks for the info. Too bad about the hash marks. I tried installing the Optical Correction mod, but that didn't work, so I'll have to live with this extra inaccuracy. As soon as I have the time, I'll have a look at CapnScurvy's work.

In the "problem case" I was almost attacking straight ahead (apart from the desired spread) and at approximately 3'000m so the parallax issue should not have been an issue. At 75° or (something like it) the IJN Naka (Sendai class) gave plenty of surface. 10m left or right would not have mattered.

Anyway, I got the info how to do it, so thank you. And, more importantly, I sank the command vessel right in the middle of a DD task force Next is the Battle of Balikpapan, then Battle of Java Sea, then the Carrier Group going for the Indian Ocean and then off to the Solomons.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:12 PM   #6
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I based my statement about the hash marks on CapnScurvy's exhaustive work on manual targeting accuracy with the stadimeter and telemeter marks. It is worth delving into, if you plan on using the telemeter marks.

Yes, I mentioned parallax error. And I assume that Spraug knows the fish and tubes displace the torpedo track forward/backwards from the scope.

It is a myth that one must shoot targets "dead ahead" to obtain success. This is neither true in real-life, nor in this game. Really, the development of the USN's TDC, to say nothing of torpedoes that could turn, would have been wasted effort, if that were the case.
There are alternate methods, apart from the "Dick O'Kane method" that do not rely on the game TDC's calculations, like THIS, for instance.

I found a lot of stuff about omnimeters and optical correction mods. Is this what you meant by Capn Scurvy's work?

Knowing the length of your parallax baseline (the distance from your scope to the point where the toro completes its turn) helps when you are shooting at higher angles, especially if you are setting your range at 11000y, because the torpedo will travel up to a hundred yards parallel to your sighting. Whereas, if you give it a range, the torp should be on a course that intersects close to that range.

Glad you got the help you needed.

Tags
aiming, manual tdc, torpedo data computer