SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-10, 06:50 AM   #1
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Make navy ships stop pinging or???

Is it possible to make navy ships stop using their ping?
I mean, is it realistic to have any navy ship ping the water the whole time?

The thing is, during a selfmade mission, its so easy to pick out the navy ships from the civilian traffic because of the ping.
I find it fun to close the distance between me and the target, go to periscope depth and raise the scope to get a visual.
But now its just making sure which ships make a ping, close the range and launch the torps.

Maybe im thinking in unreal terms, maybe in real life they use different identifying methods or maybe they only ping when they suspect enemy subs.

What is smart in this?
Old 04-02-10, 02:03 PM   #2
DeepSixNiner
Seaman

Downloads: 357

Yup, it's unrealistic to have every naval vessel in a mission running around all over the place, pinging the whole time.

It's an easy fix, however. When scripting a mission, you must select the EMCON (or Emission Control) option, which means that particular ship won't use any of it's active sensors (active sonar, radar, etc) unless it is attacked, or a ship in it's group is attacked.

Cheers
DeepSixNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 11:26 AM   #3
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11

Thanks! That makes sense, i already wondered what that EMCON thing would do.
I thought that had something to do with the signal you hear when raising the periscope. The one with the colorful indicator, i forgot that as well. *sigh*

Thanks.
Old 04-10-10, 02:15 AM   #4
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbikkel View Post
Is it possible to make navy ships stop using their ping?
I mean, is it realistic to have any navy ship ping the water the whole time?

The thing is, during a selfmade mission, its so easy to pick out the navy ships from the civilian traffic because of the ping.
I find it fun to close the distance between me and the target, go to periscope depth and raise the scope to get a visual.
But now its just making sure which ships make a ping, close the range and launch the torps.

Maybe im thinking in unreal terms, maybe in real life they use different identifying methods or maybe they only ping when they suspect enemy subs.

What is smart in this?
I've sent you a private message.

Easy
Old 04-10-10, 04:32 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbikkel View Post
Thanks! That makes sense, i already wondered what that EMCON thing would do.
I thought that had something to do with the signal you hear when raising the periscope. The one with the colorful indicator, i forgot that as well. *sigh*

Thanks.
The colorfull indicator and signal is just a radar receiver. It tells you if other units are using their radar. The colors deifne how strong the signal is.

EMCON is short for 'Emissions Control': the restriction of emission of accoustic and electro-magnetic radiation. The lowest level EMCON 1 is about as stealthy as possible, only use passive sensors and not even be able to communicate by radio. The higher levels increase in use of active sensors(which emit signals) and weapons (that need to emit signals) and communication equipment. I think level 5 is the most unstealthy (unless there are higher levels that I never heard of). The manual should have a table to explain exactly what a unit can or cannot do at a certain EMCON level.