SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-16, 09:20 PM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default Whether the Weather

Downloaded Improved Stock Environment v3 and installed, got me to wondering - is there a way to edit the weather itself for more drizzly rainy weather and less sunshine? Seems the stock game has either bright skies and unlimited visibility or full blown typhoons with 300 yard visibility but nothing between those two extremes. I would like to set something more like haze/mist/rain with visibility varying between 2000-10,000 yards or so as the most common weather type, but I have no idea where to even start with that.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:47 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Downloaded Improved Stock Environment v3 and installed, got me to wondering - is there a way to edit the weather itself for more drizzly rainy weather and less sunshine? Seems the stock game has either bright skies and unlimited visibility or full blown typhoons with 300 yard visibility but nothing between those two extremes. I would like to set something more like haze/mist/rain with visibility varying between 2000-10,000 yards or so as the most common weather type, but I have no idea where to even start with that.
This is not a direct answer, but if you don't find what you need the "Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visibility" mod helps some.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 10:49 AM   #3
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

If you click on your main DATA file ,SCENE dat. will come up. In that file are all kinds of folders where you can change clouds, sun, wind, rain, fog,etc. Be forewarned, you can really screw things up in there. There's no hand book on what all the files will do. I would suggest building a single mission to test environmental changes, thereby not messing up your main game. I'm no expert, just experimenting like other modders.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 11:38 AM   #4
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

check out this thread, especially post #20

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...weather&page=2

the way the game works, the weather changes work best if you keep TC at 256x or less. If you do that and go to 1x every 4-8 hours, you will see a more natural change.
Old 02-13-16, 11:57 AM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Thanks guys, downloaded the weather mods, read the thread, made a backup copy of scene.dat because I've been "really screwing things up" since my first computer back in 1980.

I also have several zipped backups of the entire game BTW, suspenders and a belt are always a good idea if you don't want your pants to fall down. I'll try the previously made mods first, then see what else I need to do.

I'm running S3D 0.9.9 which apparently does open scene.dat these days, so anyone following this can disregard the disclaimer in the 2007 thread;

It can only be adjusted using mini tweeker right now as S3D dosn't suport it yet.

which no longer applies as it supports it now.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 12:50 PM   #6
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

I've been "really screwing things up" since my first computer back in 1980.

I too have never been able to "leave well enough alone".
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote