SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-13, 08:09 PM   #166
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

WWII!
its about WWII planes.
sabre and zoomers don't count.
simple.
Old 02-23-13, 08:11 PM   #167
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
While that is true....it doesn't mean I have to be forcibly shoved into interest for the U-2 or the SR-71.
Who said you have to be interested in them? I just added something to what Oberon said.
Old 02-23-13, 08:23 PM   #168
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
From the PTO- I always liked the looks of the "Birdcage" Corsair

Why is called the "birdcage" Corsair? It looks to me that the cockpit is further back. Why is that?
Old 02-23-13, 08:32 PM   #169
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

It was the first version of the Corsair to become operational. From what I gather, the framework around the canopy gave them the impression of being inside a birdcage.

Later versions of the Corsair would have the clear canopy we are used to seeing.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 08:46 PM   #170
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Why is called the "birdcage" Corsair? It looks to me that the cockpit is further back. Why is that?
The more common term for a framed canopy at the time was "greenhouse" either term describes the framing.As the war progressed blown and bubble plexiglass became more common.Most Corsairs kept the fuselage shape and received a blown canopy that was either a solid unit or had minimal framing. Some aircraft like the P-27 and P-51 that eventually where equipped with a full 360 view bubble canopy to fit these canopies part of the rear fuselage was cut down for this reason earlier models where known as "razorbacks" because they had a raised rear upper fuselage that sloped downwards from a high point much like a male boar aka razorback.The birdcage nickname was unique to the F4u-1 with the original canopy design.

The P-47 had the most Razorback like stance though P-51B and C models where also called razorbacks when compared to D and K models.It was not uncommon for a unit to fly differing models of the aircraft while they converted to a newer model.Usually the newer model was more popular but that was not always the case the P-51D was actually better than the P-51K the K was designed to lighter one way they made it lighter was by giving it a propeller that had hollow blades these props vibrated badly so they removed them and replaced them with the same prop that the D used.P-47s on the other hand by late 1944 most units flying them where using them mainly for ground attack so many of the older razorback Ds lasted a long time and would fly along side newer bubble top Ds.

P-47D "razorback"

P-47D bubble canopy

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-23-13 at 09:05 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 09:04 PM   #171
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Who said you have to be interested in them? I just added something to what Oberon said.
Exactly my point. I really don't have much feeling towards Recon/Spy planes. They're alright...
Old 02-23-13, 09:08 PM   #172
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundertzehnGustav View Post
WWII!
its about WWII planes.
sabre and zoomers don't count.
simple.
But why?

As a result of WW2 aircraft, we got the early jets and as a result of those, we have today's jets...

Plus helicopters and spacecraft were added in there somewhere.
Old 02-23-13, 09:09 PM   #173
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Exactly my point. I really don't have much feeling towards Recon/Spy planes. They're alright...

They are actually one of the unsung heroes of aerial warfare and of modern warfare(20th/21st century) in general.I have a lot of respect for anyone who flew a prop powered recon plane in WWII or a RF-101 or RF-4 over Vietnam that took balls no defense but speed.Without their intel you have nothing at all really but a wild guess.

The thread is about WWII aircraft not other wars if you want to talk about post WWII/modern or WWI start another thread I am sure that many will post their thoughts.When it comes to aircraft there are so many it is better to split them into time periods and you could really give helicopters their own section as well.
Old 02-23-13, 09:12 PM   #174
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
They are actually one of the unsung heroes of aerial warfare and of modern warfare in general.I have a lot of respect for anyone who flew a prop powered recon plane in WWII or a RF-101 or RF-4 over Vietnam that took balls no defense but speed.Without their intel you have nothing at all really but a wild guess.
That's why I say that they are important...but I just like fighters and bombers better.

I still respect military pilots all the same. They had the balls to go up and do what normal soldiers couldn't.
Old 02-23-13, 10:07 PM   #175
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Never knew the P-47 had a bubble top. I thought only the P-51 and P-38 had the bubble top.
I like this thread. I have seen pictures of aircraft I never knew existed. Seen different variations of aircraft I thought I knew well.
And it is inspiring me to get back to model kits.
Old 02-23-13, 10:42 PM   #176
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
But why?
I don't know. Maybe because he titled the thread 'Your Favorite WWII Aircraft'?
Old 02-23-13, 11:34 PM   #177
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Never knew the P-47 had a bubble top. I thought only the P-51 and P-38 had the bubble top.
I like this thread. I have seen pictures of aircraft I never knew existed. Seen different variations of aircraft I thought I knew well.
And it is inspiring me to get back to model kits.

If I may allow me to show you some Russian aircraft seeing as they are over looked by many.They had some very interesting designs.They also had the first true ground attack/close support aircraft that was designed solely for that role that was a huge success.

The IL-2 this plane had some serious armor protection and also really packed a wallop many had two 23mm cannon and two 7.62mm machine guns (used more for "walking" rockets on target) some had two 37mm cannon in place of the two 23mm cannons other had 4 23mm cannons.Soviet aircraft had a lot of variation in armament even with in the same model depending on where they where made.IL-2s also had a small bomb bay in each wing root and rocket racks on the wings.

Another fairly good fighter especially in later models was the Yak-1/9/3 this plane was very light but also very agile it had a 20 or 23mm cannon firing though the propeller hub like the BF-109 and P-39 and most models had one of two .50 cal MGs(Soviet 12.7x109mm not the M2 12.7x99mm) mounted on the engine cowling.The Yak-3 was one of the most dangerous fighters in a dog fight so much so that Luftwaffe pilots preferred to avoid a dogfight with a Yak-3.

I already mentioned the La5/7 in a previous post it was arguably the best Soviet designed fighter of the war edging out the Yak.Of course many Soviet pilots flew the P-39 and they had a lot of success with it.Most Soviet aces flew either P-39s or La5s all of the top scoring Soviet aces flew one of these types or both.

If want a challenge when you model I recommend modeling WWII Japanese aircraft the Japanese often allowed the paint work on their aircraft to go by the wayside and they wound looking heavily weathered as a result which makes for a cool looking model.

IL-2

Yak3
Old 02-24-13, 12:38 AM   #178
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
For some reason that made my day. Thank you Cpt. Obvious, Sir!

To finally contribute: It's hard to say what is my fav WWII Aircraft, there are so many beauties! The Me109 is magical, so is the B17 for many reasons.

If I had to pick and decide...
I would say the Ju-87(D) Sturzkampfbomber.

Last edited by Nippelspanner; 02-24-13 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Adding fancy pic...
Old 02-24-13, 01:21 AM   #179
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

I happened on this book a couple years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Dive-Bomber-Le...on+dive+bomber

One of the types of planes he flew in was the F3F-2 which is whats shown on the cover. I never knew anything about them but his descriptions about flying it where quite interesting. It never served in combat but was used quite a bit for carrier training until the end of 1941 and just a regular trainer until 1943. Here's a video of one that's been beautifully restored. You can see why it got the nickname "the flying barrel" It was designed so that it would float for awhile if it had to ditch.

After Pearl harbor, the colorful yellow wing colors were quickly changed:

From wiki:
"A Grumman F3F-2 was ditched off the coast of San Diego on 29 August 1940 while attempting a landing on Saratoga. The fighter was rediscovered by a navy submarine in June 1988, and recovered on 5 April 1991. It was restored at the San Diego Aerospace Museum"

Robert Winston eventually became a commanding officer for a squadron of Hellcats that flew from the USS Calbot.

Last edited by mako88sb; 02-24-13 at 05:00 PM.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 01:23 AM   #180
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

Well then...

And I even found you a new Sig or even a new Avatar