SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-20, 02:07 PM   #1966
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Good for Moira. A responsible minded key worker should be professional enough to know what is required of people at this difficult time.

Ann and I have been fortunate today as our kids have been to separate supermarkets and managed to get a few 'fresh' essentials for their mam.

James, bless him, even managed to pick up three more cases of Carlsberg for his old man.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 02:28 PM   #1967
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ that's the spirit, even if it's not spirit, but beer

@Eichhörnchen how does one "crowd" someone, i mean what for/why?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 02:39 PM   #1968
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

15 cans of Spam arrived today!
Old 03-27-20, 02:52 PM   #1969
Catfish

^ Pah i got much more in my inbox

Old 03-27-20, 03:03 PM   #1970
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Pah i got much more in my inbox
But can you eat that SPAM?
Old 03-27-20, 04:40 PM   #1971
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel No sir, I [I
am [/I]the chicken little of the forum. Just the flu, bro.

Well then chill out Chick! Like I said the numbers in your chart just do not compare. The regular flu, which you say you never had, remains far more dangerous than WuHan virus or Covid or whatever else you want to call this latest pox upon humanity.

I quote:

Quote:
So far, 14,000 people have died and 250,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 04:43 PM   #1972
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
But can you eat that SPAM?
It can be stodgy at times

Seriously, congrats
Take care.

Old 03-27-20, 05:35 PM   #1973
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well then chill out Chick! Like I said the numbers in your chart just do not compare. The regular flu, which you say you never had, remains far more dangerous than WuHan virus or Covid or whatever else you want to call this latest pox upon humanity.

I quote:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182
Quoted for posterity.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 06:06 PM   #1974
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I'm so sorry, sometimes I'm to hasty

I read August reply and I quoted him. Then I realized I should have read the article he had posted in his reply.

Manner I seems to have written wrong reply to August, so i deleted my reply.

Went back to play game....wait a minute...let me read August reply ones again.

My reply was correct after all. Why did I delete it ???

I had posted a reply to this statement

" Well then chill out Chick! Like I said the numbers in your chart just do not compare. The regular flu, which you say you never had, remains far more dangerous than WuHan virus or Covid or whatever else you want to call this latest pox upon humanity."

In my reply I wrote.
(From memory)

Did you take into consideration that there have been millions of Americans who had the flu, but stayed home and did not visit their local hospital or their doctor
And now I suddenly can't remember what I wrote.

Only something with

It is therefore impossible to give an exact percentage.

I'm sorry.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 06:40 PM   #1975
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

People vary in the speed of their adaptation reaction, with some the process goes fast and others need a lot of more time. Its all natural.

But from a certain time consummation on, adapation reaction just turns into pathologic reality denial, nothing else than this. I have read several different articles by deniers by now, and all of them suffered from severe loaded terminology, logical fallacy and invalid comparisons, often also from a very seriously flawed understanding of statistics and math of exponential growth.

In other words it is these people themselves who are Chicken Littles, who whistle in the dark when walking alone in the forest, but who still accuse the others.

Classical projection.

I do not even care to argue with these people anymore, its hopeless. Reality will make them turn their heads at the right direction sooner or later, and if they resist to that too strongly, sooner or later their necks will get broken. At least they then die as happy deniers, that's at least something positive , I assume, if for nobody else than thes epeople themselves. Just where they are influential enough to make politics running their game, they turn into very murderous threats to mankind and their own people. And thats where they must be stopped.

Thats why we need a strict enforcement of compliance with measures fighting this outbreak. Threrat to life and health trumps perosnal indovodual freedoms. If the house burns, the firebrigade is allowed to kick in the door.

From minute 13 and some seconds on (the video dates March 25th)

Before the timestamp 00:09, he mentions the news from Czech Republic that they are enforicng the wearing of face masks. Thats how it was ot be done, Germany! Not by weaseling around for weeks and telling the poublic that masks make no difference. Our own top man for Corona, Drosten, is a good man, but there he was completely on the wrong track.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-27-20 at 06:53 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 08:32 PM   #1976
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Texas and Louisiana are kind of odd neighbors

Texas has 1,731 confirmed cases to Louisiana's 2,746 confirmed cases

Texas has 23 deaths recorded while Louisiana has 119 deaths recorded

Louisiana is much smaller than Texas as you all know and has refused to blame the Mardi Gras
held in February for the covid-19 sickness in their state.

Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" and is a religious holiday in Louisiana
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 09:20 PM   #1977
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Louisiana is much smaller than Texas as you all know and has refused to blame the Mardi Gras
held in February for the covid-19 sickness in their state.
Reminds of thje spnaish failure to cancel their giant puppet festival alhtough they knew that they already had many Corvid cases.

-----

However, this showed the spirit that lights the candle:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52068520
Old 03-27-20, 09:33 PM   #1978
Skybird
Soaring

This German nurses expresses better inm her own words the reaosns why I yesterday or two days ago somewhat opposed the British applaude-from-balcony-news and said that this kind of thing is just cheap.

Quote:
The Robert Koch Institute has adapted its recommendations for hospital staff: "In the future, medical staff will no longer have to be in quarantine after contact with COVID-19 patients and may work in the clinic or practice if there is an urgent need as long as no symptoms appear", said RKI President Lothar Wieler. Here, the 28-year-old nurse Nina Böhmer from Berlin tells you what worries her and why her thanksgiving help little.

[She says:]

Until recently I was invisible, hardly anyone spoke about my job. I am a nurse in a Berlin hospital. Now in the crisis, all of us nurses suddenly get said thank you. Ministers, celebrities and also patients. I am touched when I see that people gather on balconies in the evening and applaud for us. We are finally seen, are even called systemically important. And yet I feel left alone. I can't buy any of this.

It seems to get worse every day. First it was said that there was enough protective material and that politicians would order several million masks. Now we nurses should use the same mouthguard and our protective gowns for several patients. Other colleagues from all over Germany tell me that they even wash used protective clothing and hang them up to dry. That endangers us. Everywhere I see how instructions are sent, how to make a mouthguard yourself. It makes me angry that private individuals in particular are stocking up on protective equipment and there is none for us anymore. Especially when I think that patients and visitors probably stole our mouthguards.

Thanks for that.

Instead of preparing ourselves well for the crisis, we are now seeing everything that we have been working for suspended so far. The lower personnel limits no longer apply, but Jens Spahn has just introduced them. They should guarantee that we will not be understaffed and that we will close beds or wards if necessary so as not to endanger our health in the long term. In a crisis, it suddenly doesn't matter if one nurse is responsible for 40 patients alone.

Thanks for that too.

And now we should continue to work if we become infected with Sars-CoV-2, so if we ourselves get the virus and feel no symptoms. We no longer have to be in quarantine, we have to work as if nothing had happened. The Robert Koch Institute has been recommending it since this week. So, of all people who advocate blocking contacts and want to ensure that all infected stay at home. I don't want to be infected and have to work. I don't want to sleep on a cot in the hospital and have to care in a huge quarantine there. Especially not if there is not enough protective material. I don't worry much about myself, I don't want to be a danger to the elderly, to the seriously ill we treat, and to my colleagues.

Thanks again!

When I see the pictures from Spain, Italy, France and now also the USA, it worries me a lot. A message is circulating around me that a 34-year-old nurse from Lombardy is said to have committed suicide. It was tested positive and could no longer cope with the high work pressure and the fear of infecting others. I don't want us to have to deal with similar situations here.

It is still quiet, many speak of the calm before the storm. Operations have been canceled, unimportant treatments are being postponed. But when the storm comes the days, I fear that it will leave us hospital staff alone.

We can only hope that we will not be forgotten even after the crisis. Then the time has come to translate the thanksgiving into real improvements. We need better wages, more colleagues from abroad and the return of many nurses who have given up their jobs because of poor working conditions. We need hospitals and wards that are well equipped. Because even after the crisis, the time will be particularly intense for us. Then all the operations and treatments that have now been postponed are carried out. In addition to the emergencies, which always have to be dealt with immediately. Then we'll see what the thanksgiving is really worth.

https://www.zeit.de/arbeit/2020-03/k...fektion-schutz
A majority of hospitals in Germany now reports to be full. And the storm has not even reached us. I assume, just assume, that it is smaller houses that already are filled up, not the real big ones, because else I would wonder how the statistical numbers for ICU beds and case numbers could match. But that is just my reasoning, i could be totally wrong there. Some dozen patients from Italy, France and Spain have been transported to German hospitals, I assume they want to use the time until the shockwave hits Germany as well to study the desease and get used to what awaits staff and doctors in the nearing battle. In border regions to france, relations of both populations both sides of the border also are quite close, so it is help amongst neighbours.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-27-20 at 10:13 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 09:37 PM   #1979
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Sky, I read that more than 50 doctors in Italy died due to complications from coronavirus; is that 50 in one day (Friday) or 50 from the last 8 weeks to today?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 10:08 PM   #1980
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Sky, I read that more than 50 doctors in Italy died due to complications from coronavirus; is that 50 in one day (Friday) or 50 from the last 8 weeks to today?

I read something like that as well today, somewhere, and understood it as that it is the number of dead doctors since the beginning. If it were just one day, it would be a desaster squared for the health system, no system could sustain daily losses of doctors at that speed.

Also, several dozen Catholic priest meanwhile have died in Italy as well.

Suicides also grow. Mind you: catholics - and suicides. The despair must be immense.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan