SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which game should be used as the basis for an new Silent Hunter Mod?
Silent Hunter 3 24 35.29%
Silent Hunter 4 37 54.41%
Wait for Silent Hunter 5 7 10.29%
No Preference 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-09, 07:22 PM   #1
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Default SH3 or SH4 for new Atlantic Warfare Mod?

Hi; I am in the very early stages of a Silent Hunter Series total conversion mod. It will feature warfare in the North Atlantic during another time period. However, I still need to decide which SH game will serve as the basis for the mod. Silent Hunter 3 has obvious advantages, such as simplicity, ease of modding & texturing, and great tools such as SH3 Commander. On the other hand, the graphics/gameplay additions found in SH4 are equally obvious. Feel free to post comments & arguments in favor of one or the other; please keep it civil.

The 3d modeling of non-player vessels is well underway for this mod, and I have started on my first submarine. Screenshots and more information will be posted within about 14-21 days.

Thanks.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 02:46 AM   #2
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Hi IABL,
I voted for SH4, because of the many things that make its engine much more versatile than SH3's:

- a campaign split into years of war, which makes loading a breeze (almost instantly), compared to the 4-5 minutes of SH3;
- the much more natural behavior of AI ships (convoys really scatter and ships change course), vs. the unnatural zigzagging along the initial path of SH3;
- the possibility to use triggers and events in the campaign layers, allowing for a much more interactive campaign, if done correctly;
- the possibility to use auxiliary units (ships and planes) in support of the player, which - correctly scripted - would bring much more diversity in the campaign, removing the tedium of SH3's "go there, stay 24 hours then do whatever you please". A more eventful campaign is more fun IMO, and the interaction with other friendly units could really benefit to the gameplay;
- the possibility to bring in the game an unlimited number of playable uboats, compared to the predefined number of SH3.

Good luck and fair winds to your conversion mod!
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 05:04 AM   #3
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135

I vote for SH3 in this reasons:
1) all ships from SH 3 can work in SH 4, but ships from SH 4 need convert for SH 3 for working
2) many peoples have weak computers and so can gaming in SH 3 mainly (as in Russia as I know)
3) if ships would be for SH 3 it can use new units more flexible for gamers SH 3 and SH 4
4) Mainly problem for ships from SH 3 in SH 4 - textures (converting from TGA to DDS) - as I know. So you can made textures in both formattes.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 06:06 AM   #4
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

I voted for SH4, basically because of all the extra possibilities.
Most things that function in SH3 also function in SH4 (with only rare exceptions like the schnorkel), while many functionalities of SH4 don't work in SH3. For example the extended crew/systems functionality in the .upc files.
SH4 does take a bit longer to mod, because of all these extra functions, but IMO the result is better.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 07:30 AM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

hello Iambecomelife,

my opinion is to wait for sh5 or if you want to start it now do it for sh3.(sh4 have allready lost the 'bet'.the only thing that i agree is that about the zig-zag behaviour of ships ...mentioned by Dcb)
btw,does anybody of the great moders here can tell us if there is a way to import sh4's ships behaviour to sh3?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 10:31 AM   #6
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

What do you mean "another time period"? WW1? Cold War?
I would say SH4 in order to see something completely new for us who are SH3 addicted and SH4 failed to close the gap.
Old 08-06-09, 11:16 AM   #7
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I put up SH4 because I can help

That, And my other reasons mirror what dcb said
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 12:55 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

How about SH4 1.5 ? It seems that an Atlantic Theater would be easier useing it.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote