SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-20, 06:29 AM   #4531
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

India reports 803 deaths and more than 50,000 new cases, the highest total in any country on Monday.

The world's second most populous country has the fifth highest death toll, and continues to try to reopen after lockdown.

The US - which has the highest total cases and deaths in the world - has recorded just over 47,000 cases and 469 deaths, the CDC said.

Australia is imposing strict on-the-spot fines for people who ignore orders to self-isolate.

Current testing and tracing may not prevent new virus wave when UK schools reopen, scientists warn.

Tens of millions of people in the Philippines are back in lockdown after warnings of a surge.

There are now more than 18m confirmed cases across the world, and 693,000 deaths.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 08:24 AM   #4532
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

This doctor is certain he has had patients who got infected twice, and he is not alone. He argues also that the wish by some for herd immunity is just dangerous wishful thinking, therefore.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/213216...-herd-immunity

Recently, hopes in vaccines got muted by several different people as well. There will be no single silver bullet, said the WHO, others estimate we will need several different stabs - per season, the single one omnipotent vaccine maybe will not become real.

Get used to it, this virus came to stay.

With climate warming, several other diseases will find us here in Europe, too. Thanks to mosquitos.
Old 08-04-20, 12:29 PM   #4533
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-04-20, 02:41 PM   #4534
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

The number of infected here in Denmark have gone skyrocket the last few weeks.

A single person is enough.

A Polish worker, arrived from a visit in her/his home country-And now more than 62 of this workers colleagues have been infected. it has also spread to a retirement home in the same city.

In the next biggest city in Denmark Arhus(Århus) more than 104 new cases have been reported sin last week and almost 50 % of these cases is among the Somalians.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 03:18 PM   #4535
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

If anyone's keeping score, I think I'm through the worst of it as of today.

It hit me really mild, pretty much stayed confined to my upper sinuses for about a week. Went to sleep for 11 hours last night and woke up like that's perfectly normal.

Mostly, it felt like a very mild form of a typical flu or a weak-to-moderate cold.

Now comes the Pain In The ### part, I need to stay confined for a while longer.

Try not to read anything into this, I'm pretty sure I was really lucky and I'm still not back to 100%. Just wanted to let y'all know what my experience was/is.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 04:05 PM   #4536
Skybird
Soaring

Be slow revving up your engines again, give your body and immune system time to get their things sorted. Sleep, eat healthy, avoid smoking and alcohol, and sleep more. Start physical tasks moderately once the day has come to do so, you probably will feel it when the time is right. Don't be pushy.
Old 08-04-20, 06:09 PM   #4537
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Don't be pushy.

You don't know me very well.

Some things where I think I lucked out:

I got a pneumonia booster shot (vaccine) either last year or the year before?

I take only one "off-label" Rx called Amantadine for fatigue symptoms due to MS, which I haven't had in many years. I had asked my Dr. if I should drop the Rx and he said "Do you still get colds? Keep it active and take it if you feel like you're coming down with something". Good advice. By the Rx, I'm only to take one or no more than two pills per day. FWIW, Amantadine is usually prescribed as an anti-bacterial med NOT AN ANTI-VIRAL MED so its mostly a guess if it had any impact. I take one pill a day for two days and then take the third day "off", Amantadine can screw up the healthy bacteria in your digestive system.

FWIW2, I also take meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol daily and I inject Interferon (beta) for MS every other day. Latching on to one or two meds is like reading tea leaves, I only mention them to be complete. I have no way of knowing if they were useful in my situation.

I had three months to get ready. That means setting up a plan of some kind in case I did get sick. It also meant eating healthy, or at least healthier than normal. I smoke, but I've been able to cut it down to where a pack of cigs lasts me for 3-4 days. Still not healthy, but its manageable.

I took it seriously. I wear a mask now in public areas because I'm probably still capable of infecting other people. I maintain distance from EVERYONE and I'll tell them why I'm such a snob if they ask- from a distance. I usually only have to say it once.
Old 08-04-20, 11:10 PM   #4538
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

725 new cases overnight in Victoria, not good at all.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...ourne/12524320

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 11:21 PM   #4539
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Quote:
If you think you got sick, you may want to consider giving your pet to a caretaker, I would conclude, because they did not say in that article whether animals can die or suffer lasting health damage from Corona, and how intense their suffering from that virus can become.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to make plans for that. If I got sick I probably would not have thought of that.
Old 08-05-20, 04:44 AM   #4540
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
You don't know me very well.

Some things where I think I lucked out:

I got a pneumonia booster shot (vaccine) either last year or the year before?

I take only one "off-label" Rx called Amantadine for fatigue symptoms due to MS, which I haven't had in many years. I had asked my Dr. if I should drop the Rx and he said "Do you still get colds? Keep it active and take it if you feel like you're coming down with something". Good advice. By the Rx, I'm only to take one or no more than two pills per day. FWIW, Amantadine is usually prescribed as an anti-bacterial med NOT AN ANTI-VIRAL MED so its mostly a guess if it had any impact. I take one pill a day for two days and then take the third day "off", Amantadine can screw up the healthy bacteria in your digestive system.

FWIW2, I also take meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol daily and I inject Interferon (beta) for MS every other day. Latching on to one or two meds is like reading tea leaves, I only mention them to be complete. I have no way of knowing if they were useful in my situation.

I had three months to get ready. That means setting up a plan of some kind in case I did get sick. It also meant eating healthy, or at least healthier than normal. I smoke, but I've been able to cut it down to where a pack of cigs lasts me for 3-4 days. Still not healthy, but its manageable.

I took it seriously. I wear a mask now in public areas because I'm probably still capable of infecting other people. I maintain distance from EVERYONE and I'll tell them why I'm such a snob if they ask- from a distance. I usually only have to say it once.
Just got told that I may have choosen a wrong word, "pushy". Looking it up, what the dictionary told me was not what I wanted to say, I meant you should not push things too early and then risk a second health issue. Sorry for any irritation I caused!
Old 08-05-20, 04:56 AM   #4541
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Just got told that I may have choosen a wrong word, "pushy". Looking it up, what the dictionary told me was not what I wanted to say, I meant you should not push things too early and then risk a second health issue. Sorry for any irritation I caused!
No, I understood your meaning.
I'm one of the more laid-back people you could meet. I try to walk a bit each day to keep my mobility going but I have no intention to run in a marathon.
Old 08-05-20, 06:25 AM   #4542
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Our office building is locked down for two weeks due to COVID.

The person was not wearing a mask because they "did not feel sick".... until he did. He had just come back from visiting a high risk state and did not feel it was necessary to wear a mask.

We had just gotten back to limited operations too
Old 08-05-20, 06:31 AM   #4543
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-05-20, 07:02 AM   #4544
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Lockdown restrictions are being reimposed in Aberdeen due to a coronavirus cluster in the city, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced.

She said pubs and restaurants would be closed as part of the measures.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53666665
That won't go down well with some of the Jocks

Better safe than sorry though

Old 08-05-20, 08:27 AM   #4545
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan