SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-22, 10:35 AM   #4321
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

cool "...and the earth shook" with apology to Hemmingway

1967: Puyi, the last Emperor of China died at age 61...and now we have Xi??!...hardly an improvement... 1989: an earthquake measuring 6.9 in magnitude struck northern California killing 63 people and causing $6 billion in damage...I was driving on Saratoga-Sunnyvale road to my appraisal office, watched the streetlights swaying violently; and immediately 180'd; heading back to our apartment where the elderly nanny and my 10 month old baby were. They were ok! The quake, which had epicentered in the Loma Prieta area of the Santa Cruz Mtns south of San José CA, was my principal appraisal territory; and I was practically the only such 'moutain' appraiser. Consequently, FEMA came a-knocken, and commandeered all my files for the mountain homes (and their photos) to assist in rebuilding to utterly destroyed homes in them thar-hills... I retired from appraisal work (14 years) and moved 100 miles north to Napa and so never saw the rebuilt results of my Canon AE-1's photowork. But an unexpected consequence occurred 10 years later in the 2000 Napa quake, which had epicentered 500 yards from my house, and destroyed the chimney and rear stucco in the shockwave. Showing up to get a Federal grant, covered in dust after a day of cleanup, I encountered the very same FEMA team from '89 who recognized me, with the nervous Napa county assessor who had previously told me I was "overqualified to be a Napa County assessor". After a round of 'howdy do' handshakes with the federals, and on my surmise that 'the elderly and non-English-speaking wouldn't know their damages for some time', the head-Fed agreed and stated they would stay in Napa for a year! Some years later, that much relieved same re-elected assessor actually saw me in full gear, by then guarding a Bank of Amerika during the violent "occupy movement"; and asked me to "please apply for the assistant-assessor opening on Craig's List"... but my wise boss-wife said nyet to that...sparing my overqualified ass undoubted corporate misery!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-17-22 at 11:51 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 12:14 PM   #4322
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1931 Gangster Al Capone is convicted on five of the 23 counts of tax evasion against him, later fined $50,000 and sentenced to 11 years in jail.

1933 Albert Einstein arrives in US as a refugee from Nazi Germany.

1943 Burma railway completed, built by Allied POWs and Asian laborers for use of the Japanese army.

1943 Liberators sink U-540

1960 US & Britain sign an accord granting US access to the British nuclear submarine base in Holy Loch, Scotland.

1973 OPEC oil ministers use oil as an economic weapon in the Arab-Israeli War, mandating a cut in exports and recommending an embargo against unfriendly states.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:48 AM   #4323
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1867 Alaska Purchase: US takes formal possession of Alaska from Russia, having paid $7.2 million.

1909 Comte de Lambert of France sets airplane altitude record of 300 m

1919 David Beatty is created 1st Earl Beatty, Viscount Borodale, and Baron Beatty of the North Sea and Brooksby.

1942 Hitler orders captured allied commandos to be killed.

1962 US launches Ranger 5 for lunar impact; misses Moon.

Old 10-18-22, 11:42 AM   #4324
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1867 Alaska Purchase: US takes formal possession of Alaska from Russia, having paid $7.2 million. No doubt Putin will want that back as soon as he's done in Ukraine!

1909 Comte de Lambert of France sets airplane altitude record of 300 mI beat that in 1974 in a Cessna 172!

1919 David Beatty is created 1st Earl Beatty, Viscount Borodale, and Baron Beatty of the North Sea and Brooksby....there was "something wrong with his ships" at Jutland; He's entombe right next to arch-rival Adm. Jellico in recently visited Westminster Cathedral! ie: "they are all equal now"

1942 Hitler orders captured allied commandos to be killed. Having grown up on Karl May German-authored tales of: Old Shatterhand and Winitou stories-(the precursor to Lone Ranger &Tonto stories), Ol' Adolf probably figured the "only good commando is a dead commando"!

1962 US launches Ranger 5 for lunar impact; misses Moon...."practise makes perfect"; NASA just hit an asteroid deadon as it hurtled thru the solar system...60 years later! All monies utterly wasted on bragging rights over $oviet rivalry might actuall prove useful saving this ever-worsening spinning mudball?!
1648: Boston shoemakers are authorized to form a guild to protect their interests; it's the first American labor organization on record. Having at various points of my unstellar career stewarded both a Teamster truckdock and a shortlived Federal guard union; it's good to know where my "playing footsie negotiations with the boss" roots came from...and I'm certainly having a better day than Jimmy Hoffa! 1969: the Federal government banned artificial sweeteners known as cyclamates because of evidence. it caused cancer in lab rats! As an immediate result my dad quit making instant coffee and ice tea with cyclamate in horribly frigid Minnesota (18 years) and moved us out to warmer California to make dehydrated onion an garlic spice pruducts; 'twas my first pretrukking longhaul on-the-job-training; doing most of the driving in the family CountrySquire station wagon and trailer 2000 miles with mom and younger siblings (at age 19)'! 2013: the FDA lifted its ban on cyclamates citing "no evidence of cancer in lab rats"; and it probably was promoted by natural $ugar corporate interest$....but as a happy warm Californiano albeit a Covid/Flu/shingles vaccine labrat in my own right , perhaps I should title my autobiography Tropic of Cancer??!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-18-22 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-21-22, 10:10 AM   #4325
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1805:Horatio "Nelson of the Nile" perishes in his climactic victory over the French fleer at Trafalgar, off Cadiz, aboard his flagship HMS Victory; declaring to the captain: '' 'tis kismet Hardy!'' The name of the doughty French marine sniper who spotted him sporting all his medals on the quarterdeck from the masttops remains unknown. 1797: the Frigate USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides" is christened at Boston Harbor and will go on to victory in 3 naval battles in the War of 1812... each under a different capable commander! Ironically both HMS Victory and Old Ironsides still exist to this day. I've seen them both and built models! Yesterday 2022: Prime Minister Liz Truss resigns after 6 weeks in office...apparently "the lady was for turning?"

Old 10-22-22, 07:39 AM   #4326
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1879 Thomas Edison perfects carbonized cotton filament light bulb.

1884 International Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. adopts Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) worldwide, creating 24 international time zones with longitude zero at the Greenwich meridian.

1938 President of Czechoslovakia Edvard Beneš goes into exile in London, in the aftermath of the Munich agreement and German annexation of Sudetenland.

1944 Kurita's vice-admiral fleet leaves North-Borneo.

1954 West Germany joins North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy addresses TV about Russian missile bases in Cuba and imposes a naval blockade on Cuba, beginning the missile crisis.

Old 10-23-22, 01:41 PM   #4327
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1911 First aerial reconnaissance mission is flown by an Italian pilot over Turkish lines during the Italo-Turkish War.

1917 1st Infantry division "Big Red One" shoots first US shot in WWI

1942 During WWII, Britain launches major offensive at El Alamein, Egypt.

1944 Vice Admiral Takeo Kurita's flagship the heavy cruiser Atago sinks during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

1981 US national debt hits $1 trillion.

2001 The Provisional Irish Republican Army of Northern Ireland commences disarmament after peace talks.

Old 10-23-22, 02:53 PM   #4328
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
2001 The Provisional Irish Republican Army of Northern Ireland commences disarmament after peace talks.
murderers
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-22, 09:19 AM   #4329
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 Adolf Hitler meets the Head of the French State Marshal Philippe Pétain.

1944 US air raid on Japanese battleships and cruisers in Sibuya Sea: Musashi sinks.

1944 US aircraft carrier Princeton sinks at Philippines.

1945 Charter of United Nations comes into effect.

1946 A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket, launched from Whites Sands US, takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.

1949 Construction begins on the United Nations headquarters in New York.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet ships approach but stop short of the US blockade of Cuba.

1971 President of Sinn Féin Ruairi O'Brady, addresses a party conference in Dublin and proclaims that the North of Ireland must be made ungovernable as a first step to achieve a united Ireland.

1972 2 Catholic men are found dead at a farm at Aughinahinch, near Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh - British soldiers carry out the killings.

Old 10-25-22, 12:50 PM   #4330
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1415 Battle of Agincourt: Henry V's forces defeat larger French army and the longbow defeats the armoured knight.

1854 The infamous "Charge of the Light Brigade" during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War results in over 100 killed.

1962 US Ambassador to the UN Adlai Stevenson demands USSR UN rep Valerian Zorin answer regarding Cuban missile bases saying "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over"

1971 United Nations votes to expel the Chinese Nationalist ruled Taiwan and admit the Communist People's Republic of China.

2017 Chinese Premier Xi Jinping unveils his new ruling council in the Great Hall of the People, none of the five are young enough to succeed him.

Old 10-26-22, 01:10 PM   #4331
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1863 International conference begins in Geneva aimed at improving medical conditions on battlefields - beginning of the Red Cross.

1881 Gunfight at the OK Corral: The most famous shootout in the Wild West occurs, between lawmen (including Wyatt Earp) and the Cowboys, with Tom and Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton killed.

1918 Cecil Chubb gives prehistoric monument Stonehenge to the British nation.

1918 Germany's supreme commander General Eric Ludendorff resigns, protesting the terms to which the German Government has agreed in negotiating an armistice.

1943 World War II: First flight of the Dornier Do 335 "Pfeil".

1951 Winston Churchill re-elected British Prime Minister at the age of 76

2019 Raid by US Special Forces kills ISIS founder Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in Syria.

Old 10-26-22, 06:03 PM   #4332
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
1881 Gunfight at the OK Corral: The most famous shootout in the Wild West occurs, between lawmen (including Wyatt Earp) and the Cowboys, with Tom and Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton killed.
lasted a whole 30 seconds
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 01:15 PM   #4333
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1864 Confederate ship Albemarle torpedoed and sunk by a spar torpedo mounted on a steam launch.

1914 British battleship Audacious sunk by mine.

1942 US aircraft carrier Hornet sinks off Santa Cruz.

1962 Black Saturday during the Cuban Missile Crisis: An American spy plane is shot down over Cuba and the navy drops warning depth charges on Soviet submarines.

1982 China announces its population has reached 1 billion plus people.

1986 British government deregulates financial markets in a "Big Bang", enhancing London's status as a financial capital while increasing income inequality.

Old 10-27-22, 02:00 PM   #4334
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Say isn't this thread and the 100 years ago today thread kinda redundant?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 04:27 PM   #4335
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

kinda sorta! but as OP Oberon doesn't participate in the forum or his thread; and my thread commenced the year(1913) before his(1914) ; thus, my award-winning thread (2014)holds 'primacy of redundancy" over Oberon's award-winning thread (2015)...my continued participation notwithstanding?! Kudos to Jinbuna though for keeping both threads active-particulrly this one on a daily basis!