SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-21, 01:03 AM   #1
mp3j3rk
Nub

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 TMO RSRD OTC - Torpedoes take hard left every time!

Ok, I almost never post anything anywhere, but I'm at my wits end and google/forum searches have yielded nothing thus far. I'm sure someone will reply with a link to an ancient thread that I should have already found though, because that's the way it always works with me. Apologies and thanks in advance to you, oh wise one.

Anyways, down to business. I've played for a bit more than a month now, several hours almost every night. When I'm not playing, I'm usually watching or listening to YouTube videos of others playing (wolfpack345 namely, but others as well).

I have been successful with torpedoes and not by mere accident. Hopefully you believe me.

So envision this. I make hydrophone contact with a juicy merchant, plot their track and get their speed. Now I get out in front of them, line up on their track at 90ish degrees at P depth and sit tight. As they approach, they are maintaining their course (usually off by a degree or two, so correcting there) indicating they have no idea what terror is lurking a few thousand yards away. I get a positive ID, range them, adjust AOB, and ensure speed is entered in TDC. For this example lets say that I'm on their starboard side. Range them again....and again...and again....all the way in. Long story short, I'm obsessively ranging them. I'm also making sure that AOB is close. Torpedo speed, detonator and depth are set, tubes are open.

Checking my attack map, the solution always looks pretty good. Then I fire. Usually two just to be sure I don't fall victim to a dud giving me away.

The torpedo gets a couple hundred yards out and takes a hard turn to port. If you're following along, you'll catch that it would be towards the stern of the target ship, not leading the bow.

This has happened COUNTLESS times recently, and it's not just when I'm on the targets SB, it happens with port too. I've tried with position keeper and without. I've tried entering the range and AOB at ~20 degrees off of 0 and firing. EVERY time, to the left. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

I've double checked my offset angle is at 0 many times. No difference. I've even tried to compensate for the hard left by putting like 20-25 degrees of right offset, but I can't predict how much I need to compensate for.

Also, every once in a while, I'll load up my save, or start a new mission, and everything works FINE. Yep. What the heck?!

Heres my JSGME mod list, cus I know you are all itching to know:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

1.0 TMO_RSRDC_OTC
15_OpticalTargetingCorrection031312forRSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
2.0 Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC
2.1 TMO_Sample_Emblem
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1600x)
Bigger Better Protractors

At this point, this issue is making the game not fun. I'm pretty adept at deck gunning, but last I checked, this game was a submarine warfare sim, not naval surface warfare sim.

All in all, any help would be super appreciated! And I hope I didn't just repost a classic issue in excruciating detail...
mp3j3rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 03:12 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3j3rk View Post
Ok, I almost never post anything anywhere, but I'm at my wits end and google/forum searches have yielded nothing thus far. I'm sure someone will reply with a link to an ancient thread that I should have already found though, because that's the way it always works with me. Apologies and thanks in advance to you, oh wise one.

Anyways, down to business. I've played for a bit more than a month now, several hours almost every night. When I'm not playing, I'm usually watching or listening to YouTube videos of others playing (wolfpack345 namely, but others as well).

I have been successful with torpedoes and not by mere accident. Hopefully you believe me.

So envision this. I make hydrophone contact with a juicy merchant, plot their track and get their speed. Now I get out in front of them, line up on their track at 90ish degrees at P depth and sit tight. As they approach, they are maintaining their course (usually off by a degree or two, so correcting there) indicating they have no idea what terror is lurking a few thousand yards away. I get a positive ID, range them, adjust AOB, and ensure speed is entered in TDC. For this example lets say that I'm on their starboard side. Range them again....and again...and again....all the way in. Long story short, I'm obsessively ranging them. I'm also making sure that AOB is close. Torpedo speed, detonator and depth are set, tubes are open.

Checking my attack map, the solution always looks pretty good. Then I fire. Usually two just to be sure I don't fall victim to a dud giving me away.

The torpedo gets a couple hundred yards out and takes a hard turn to port. If you're following along, you'll catch that it would be towards the stern of the target ship, not leading the bow.

This has happened COUNTLESS times recently, and it's not just when I'm on the targets SB, it happens with port too. I've tried with position keeper and without. I've tried entering the range and AOB at ~20 degrees off of 0 and firing. EVERY time, to the left. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

I've double checked my offset angle is at 0 many times. No difference. I've even tried to compensate for the hard left by putting like 20-25 degrees of right offset, but I can't predict how much I need to compensate for.

Also, every once in a while, I'll load up my save, or start a new mission, and everything works FINE. Yep. What the heck?!

Heres my JSGME mod list, cus I know you are all itching to know:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

1.0 TMO_RSRDC_OTC
15_OpticalTargetingCorrection031312forRSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
2.0 Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC
2.1 TMO_Sample_Emblem
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1600x)
Bigger Better Protractors

At this point, this issue is making the game not fun. I'm pretty adept at deck gunning, but last I checked, this game was a submarine warfare sim, not naval surface warfare sim.

All in all, any help would be super appreciated! And I hope I didn't just repost a classic issue in excruciating detail...

Sounds like you understanding about shooting the torpedoes so assuming not a player error here, it appears that you have encountered the gyro bug. Assuming you save and then load up game to play again. Basically, the random chance of having torpedo gyro errors seems to be set to 100 or close to it upon reload (for some unknown reason) after loading a save game instead of the small chance. It's a random setting in the ustorpedoes.sim file the game seems to muck up sometimes. Can do this with duds as well. Once had 24 torpedoes either be a dud or have a gyro error or both are loading up a save game lol. It was 1942 so chalked it up to torpedo performance and went home. Sunk a small 1500 ton merchant with deck gun off wake island.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 10:01 PM   #3
mp3j3rk
Nub

Thanks for your reply.

I tried restarting my most recent patrol and my torpedoes worked this time. Took me weeks before I found a ship to try them out on though. Fortunately, it was a Nippon Maru, ~10k tons.

I peeked at my torpedoes files, which for me seem to be named Torpedoes_US.sim. The core game file had gyro errors at 1.0 for both magnetic and impact, but I had a couple of mods that set them to .6 and .4 respectively. I'm not sure what scale is supposed to be used for that value.

I did find that I had two mods that both set the gyro error to the same value. I disabled one of them prior to restarting my patrol, so hoping that will resolve the issue. I suppose my working theory is that the two mods weren't applying correctly and causing some issues.

Thanks again.
mp3j3rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 10:36 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

mp3j3rk!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:42 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I tried restarting my most recent patrol and my torpedoes worked this time. Took me weeks before I found a ship to try them out on though. Fortunately, it was a Nippon Maru, ~10k tons.

I peeked at my torpedoes files, which for me seem to be named Torpedoes_US.sim. The core game file had gyro errors at 1.0 for both magnetic and impact, but I had a couple of mods that set them to .6 and .4 respectively. I'm not sure what scale is supposed to be used for that value.

I did find that I had two mods that both set the gyro error to the same value. I disabled one of them prior to restarting my patrol, so hoping that will resolve the issue. I suppose my working theory is that the two mods weren't applying correctly and causing some issues.

Thanks again.
you have the correct torpedo file and the correct behavior parameters as well. the values you adjusted are percentages. so, you went from 100% gyro errors (1.0) to 60% (.6) and 40% (.4).

not sure which of the many torpedo-fix-mods you are using but you may want to create your own mini mod to adjust these values. many of us-kaleuns do that sort of thing.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 12:36 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Thanks again.
No problem
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote