Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-23, 03:13 PM   #9991
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Biden should tell China if it helps Russia in any way then Taiwan will get any help they need in the way of arms etc .
Old 02-21-23, 06:14 PM   #9992
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
When Putin recently met with Lukashenko and they sat in front of cameras, Putin was completely unable to keep his feet and legs still, they moved arond as if wanting to stepdance.

Looks quite like Parkinson.

With feet like these he too better stays away from windows.
No!! move closer!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online  
Old 02-21-23, 08:31 PM   #9993
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

This was reported about four hours ago. Russian channels are going crazy speculating it may be the first use of those 150km range Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bombs (GLSDB) by the Ukrainian army. Add that plus Biden’s speech and his walk during broad daylight in Kiev’s city center. I’m speculating we’ll probably start seeing Russian forces mutiny sooner rather than later.

https://t.me/mariupolrada/12830

Quote:
So far, 11 explosions are known in the Russian-occupied city. The first explosion occurred at 22:33. There is preliminary information about two hits - in the AS-2 area (Central district) and Stan-3000 (Kalmius district). Probably in places where enemy forces are concentrated.

They also report problems with light and communication in the Central and Left Bank districts.

The information is currently being verified.

We believe in the Armed Forces! The de-occupation of Mariupol is getting closer

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-21-23 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 04:27 AM   #9994
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
This was reported about four hours ago. Russian channels are going crazy speculating it may be the first use of those 150km range Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bombs (GLSDB) by the Ukrainian army. Add that plus Biden’s speech and his walk during broad daylight in Kiev’s city center. I’m speculating we’ll probably start seeing Russian forces mutiny sooner rather than later.

https://t.me/mariupolrada/12830
Yes, and Mariupol has been hit already in the last days, seems something is happening
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/...83802852831232

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-22-23, 05:52 AM   #9995
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

US diplomat on what it's like negotiating with Putin

By Barbara Plett Usher
BBC State Department correspondent

The former US ambassador to Russia has told the BBC what it's like trying to negotiate with the Kremlin and why President Vladimir Putin won't give up easily in Ukraine.

John Sullivan was America's man in Moscow in the run-up to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The former US ambassador is the one who had conversations with Russian officials about trying to prevent a war, but "there was no engagement", he said.

"They demanded security guarantees for Russia but wouldn't talk constructively about security for Ukraine. They never moved beyond their talking points… it was a charade."

When I ask whether the US should work harder at continuing those conversations to try to end the conflict, he tells me that President Vladimir Putin "wasn't interested in negotiating before the war. He's still not interested in negotiating".

Instead, the Biden administration has focused on rallying global support for arming Ukraine and sanctioning Russia, itself shipping billions of dollars of weapons to the country.

In a speech on Tuesday, Mr Putin repeated his view that the West had started the war, that it was using Ukraine to try to inflict a "strategic defeat" on Moscow, and that Russia, not Ukraine, was fighting for its very existence.

Despite the failures of Moscow's self-declared special military operation, Mr Sullivan says the goals initially declared by the Kremlin remain the same - to "de-Nazify" and "demilitarise" Ukraine. He interprets that as "removing the government in Kyiv and subjugating the Ukrainian people".

This is part of a vision that President Putin has outlined to re-gather the Russian peoples that were separated by the collapse of the Soviet Union.

"He can't have a democratically elected government, particularly one led by President [Volodymyr] Zelensky, in Kyiv," says Mr Sullivan. "He will never be satisfied as long as that government exists because he considers it a threat to Russia and to his vision of this larger Russian state he's trying to create."

So what, then, would it take for Mr Putin to stop the war?

"He has to be convinced that he can't win," says Mr Sullivan. "He's going to double down until he's convinced that there's just no way he can win. I'm not sure how significant the battlefield setbacks have to be for him to reach that point, but he's nowhere near that today."

Mr Sullivan says the Russian leader has a long-time horizon, and "a vision for what he wants to accomplish that he will not surrender easily".

Neither, though, will the Ukrainians, Mr Sullivan believes, declaring one of the strategic failures of Mr Putin's war to be alienating the Slavic nation of 44 million people.

"The Ukrainian people aren't going to forgive and forget," he says. "Even if President Zelenksy wanted to end the war, wanted to make territorial concessions, basically wanted to surrender, the Ukrainian people wouldn't let him."

With such a military, political and ideological standoff, the US has to be prepared for a long war.

President Joe Biden underlined America's commitment by making a surprise visit to Kyiv on the anniversary of the invasion, but Mr Sullivan does not expect the conflict to end this year.

"Beyond that I don't know," he says. "But [Mr Putin] doesn't want an off-ramp. The goals of this special military operation will be achieved. He says that all the time."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64727302

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-22-23, 08:36 AM   #9996
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-22-23, 08:56 AM   #9997
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Wang Yi expects to reach new agreements after negotiations with Lavrov: China and Russian Federation "open potential for multifaceted cooperation"

China’s chief diplomat Wang Yi met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

This is reported by Censor.NET with reference to Interfax.

"I am ready to exchange views with you, my dear friend, on issues of mutual interest, and I am waiting for new agreements to be reached," he told Lavrov.

According to him, Sino-Russian relations maintain a high dynamic of development.

"China and Russia always maintain strategic determination, firmly and confidently move in the direction of the formation of a multipolar world. ... We are always committed to multipolarity, firmly oppose unilateral actions, as well as hegemony. And we are always firmly looking for a way to develop our countries in accordance with national characteristics, as well as to protect sovereignty, security, interests of our development," said the chief diplomat of the People's Republic of China.

He also noted that the People's Republic of China and the Russian Federation "constantly reveal the potential for multifaceted cooperation."

At the same time, Wang Yi added, the People's Republic of China, with its development and the path of Chinese modernization, will open new horizons for the development of cooperation not only with Russia but also with all countries of the world.

Instead, the head of the foreign ministry of the occupying country stated that the relations between China and the Russian Federation are "developing confidently and dynamically". Source: https://censor.net/en/n3401395

China will not supply weapons to Russia for war against Ukraine, - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of People’s Republic of China

China’s foreign ministry said the country is not considering supplying Russia with weapons for use in its war against Ukraine, accusing the United States and NATO of spreading falsehoods about Beijing’s potential role in the war.

As reported by Censor.NET with reference to LIGA.net, this was stated by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, Wang Wenbin.

"The United States and other NATO countries are now constantly spreading information that China can supply weapons to Russia, which is a trick that was used and exposed at the beginning of the Ukrainian crisis," he said.

The Foreign Ministry spokesman also said that China calls on NATO to "stop plaguing China with unsubstantiated speculations about Ukraine, abandon the old Cold War mentality of a zero-sum game and opposing blocs, and stop the fomenting confrontation."

The Chinese Foreign Ministry representative accused the US and other NATO countries of being "the biggest source of weapons on the battlefield in Ukraine." Source: https://censor.net/en/n3401406

Old 02-22-23, 12:04 PM   #9998
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The Chinese lie, and they lied to the faces of Western diplomats at the G20 summit a few weeks ago.

When I think about it, it seems to me that they lie all the time.
Old 02-22-23, 01:39 PM   #9999
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Of course China will provide Russia with military aid like ammo mostly.

When this is said I'm also curious to whether we will see Chinese instructors in Ukraine sooner or later ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-22-23, 01:48 PM   #10000
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Chinese lie, and they lied to the faces of Western diplomats at the G20 summit a few weeks ago.

When I think about it, it seems to me that they lie all the time.
Agreed

Old 02-22-23, 01:55 PM   #10001
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

China promises Putin ‘friendship without limits’, but experts say Beijing will exact a price from Russia

China might appear ridiculous to much of the world by issuing a joint condemnation, alongside Moscow, of “unilateral bullying of one country”, i.e. Russia, even as it stands shoulder to shoulder with Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine.

But that won’t worry Beijing, says Steve Tsang, director of the Soas China Institute in London. “For a regime that is used to enjoying ‘a monopoly on the truth’, it is not that surprising that it is comfortable with its rhetoric regardless of the perception of the outside world,” he says.

It was all smiles on Wednesday in Moscow as China’s top diplomat, Wang Yi, arrived to meet Putin and show the world the strength of ties between the two nuclear powers.

“Russian-Chinese relations are developing as we planned in previous years. Everything is moving forward and developing,” Vladimir Putin told reporters as he sat beside Wang.

Wang met Putin even as Russian and Chinese warships prepared for joint naval drills off the coast of South Africa.

Some reports suggest Wang’s visit, just days before the anniversary of the Kremlin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, is a precursor to a meeting between Putin and Chinese leader, Xi Jinping.

But despite insistence on their “friendship without limits”, Beijing and Moscow want different things from this marriage of convenience, and there’s little doubt who’s the dominant one in this partnership.

An isolated Russia desperately needs Chinese support. Xi is expected to make a “peace speech” on Friday in relation to Russia’s war on Ukraine (Kyiv says there can be no talk of peace with Russian troops in Ukraine).

China sees Russia as a useful tool as it seeks to challenge Western political and economic dominance. But it fears financial fallout from the war, and the potential damage to important economic ties with the US and Europe.

With its economy stuttering due to dire demographics, an imploding property sector and the effects of Covid and Ukraine war oil shock, Beijing knows it can’t afford to risk serious secondary sanctions for breaching Western sanctions on Russia.

“I think Xi and China are very concerned about it,” says professor Tsang. “They will support Putin to the maximum level short of taking actions that will clearly trigger secondary sanctions. Dual use components are not included in items that will result in secondary sanctions, hence China’s willingness to supply to Russia.”

But this could change as supporters of Ukraine call for the US to start penalising countries like China and even Turkey that are allowing these hi-tech components, which are made in Europe and America, to find their way into Russia.

Another analyst, Patricia Lewis, director of Chatham House’s International Security Programme, says China “will exact a price” for supporting Russia over Ukraine.

She thinks Beijing will be eyeing mineral resources in the central Asian, former Soviet states, over which Moscow still holds some sway. “Russia has all sorts of geography that China is interested in,” she says. “And that includes Arctic territory. I think Russia is selling itself down the river.”
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...6754a1228c4e96

Old 02-22-23, 02:04 PM   #10002
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I'm guessing the Chinese will help the Russians just enough to keep them in the fight and bleeding. The last thing they want is a stronger Russia, especially when the Russians have open designs on Mongolia.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 02-22-23, 02:11 PM   #10003
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Some days ago there was photo or video footage on some websites and reports in some newspapers that the Chinese actually do provide weapons and missiles to Russia, and since longer time already. I had not read it, however, I wanted to do so later, went onto some other internet stories, and never got back to it. Cannot say where it was.

China does not want a too weak Russia, becasue in the end both countries' prime enemy is the USA. It also doe snot want Russia loosing trhe war, or havign to giv eup Ukraine,t usi wpoiuöldm open unwanted questions about Chians own policies ion Tibet, Soth chinese Sea, Taiwan.

What both countries want is more freedom and untouchability for their totalitarian leaders and their land-grabbing, stealing and plundering.
Old 02-22-23, 02:17 PM   #10004
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-22-23, 02:39 PM   #10005
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:

China does not want a too weak Russia, becasue in the end both countries' prime enemy is the USA. It also doe snot want Russia loosing trhe war, or havign to giv eup Ukraine,t usi wpoiuöldm open unwanted questions about Chians own policies ion Tibet, Soth chinese Sea, Taiwan.
IMO, what Xi needs is a Russia that can design China's military hardware. Whether China steals that tech or buys it for pennies-on-the-dollar is a moot point. China also needs ores and minerals plus oil.

I don't think Xi dreams of a perfect future where China and Russia get to dictate terms to the rest of the world.
Closed Thread