Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-07, 09:53 AM   #1
Onslot
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
janus error when starting multiplayer, SH 2

hi
i just started back to try to play sh2 online, game runs fine, but not in multiplayer i have both patches, 1.1 and pm patch installed, rebooted computer in between patches making sure they were installed clean, i have two computers, one with win 98, other xp runs the games {sh2,dc}, great, BUT in multiplayer SH2,and DC, all the screens come up, server, etc. BUT when I launch the game, JANUS ERROR comes up, screen goes blank, i use to turn off screen blanker, game ran fine yrs ago, when pm came out, the game ran fine on- line, WHY now, will it not run a multiplayer game??? HELP ME OUT ???
JANUS ERROR comes up, did not use to do that!!! same computers!, the same video cards, never had any trouble before why now???
"this is what happens" I go to start multiplayer mission. screen goes Blank, then Janus error, use to, i would end screen blanker, when i do it now, game dissappears!!!
heres the JANUS ERR
Error -1 [m_ptestunit ==0]
Directx code : "Unecognized error: 0xffffffff "
Sources\CSH2sim.cpp
Line 671

Last edited by Onslot; 11-26-07 at 02:23 PM.
Onslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 06:29 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

You could be missing a user created unit that is used in the scenario. If all players don't have the same extra unit, a crash will result.:hmm:
Old 11-27-07, 06:57 PM   #3
Onslot
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
You could be missing a user created unit that is used in the scenario. If all players don't have the same extra unit, a crash will result.:hmm:
i dont understand, extra unit ? what is that ? explain please .thank you.
Old 11-28-07, 03:55 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

In SH2/DC it is very easy to create a new vessel/airplane/submarine that wasn't previously in the game. You just pick a 3D model of the game and create a new UDF file (Which is simply a text file with that extension) and give the unit those characteristics you want. For example, you can add to the game a Colorado class US battleship by picking the Texas 3D model and reworking an UDF file to have the proper number of guns, gun size and such. Many mission creators and modders added new units that way.

Now, if all players in a multi game do not have those new units, the game will crash. That happens typichally when trying to play missions created by the community (Not always the readme states clearly that new units were added), and shouldn't happen at all with the stock missions in the standard games.

Hope that helps
Old 11-28-07, 06:18 AM   #5
Onslot
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
In SH2/DC it is very easy to create a new vessel/airplane/submarine that wasn't previously in the game. You just pick a 3D model of the game and create a new UDF file (Which is simply a text file with that extension) and give the unit those characteristics you want. For example, you can add to the game a Colorado class US battleship by picking the Texas 3D model and reworking an UDF file to have the proper number of guns, gun size and such. Many mission creators and modders added new units that way.

Now, if all players in a multi game do not have those new units, the game will crash. That happens typichally when trying to play missions created by the community (Not always the readme states clearly that new units were added), and shouldn't happen at all with the stock missions in the standard games.

Hope that helps
OH, first of all, i just downloaded the patches and reinstalled them a few days ago, also just put the games back on the computers !!! went with out playing sh2 or dc for 3 yrs or so.
listen, i see what you are saying now, and i thank you for your help, but the games on both computers are stock, no files messed with, just me and my son playing each other, i installed both games on each computer, sh2, 1.1, pm 103, the same with dc 1.1 , pm 103,... is there anything else i can check, has there been any changes to the patches or patch within the last 3 yrs pm103 etc. ? i just reinstalled both games and patches on each computer, we have 2 internet connections, one for each computer, in the same house. so there is no extra units added in the files or etc. , i cant understand this, played on-line many times after pm patch came out, games played great on-line, some changes have been made some where,... use to, i would launch game screen blanker would come up, end screen blanker, then play. "NOW i just down loaded the patches the other day", reinstalled them, thats why i wonder if there has been changes to the patches or etc. help me out!!! thank you !!!:hmm:

Last edited by Onslot; 11-28-07 at 06:29 AM.