SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-12, 02:31 PM   #1
artao
Officer

Downloads: 144
Uploads: 0
Strange Behaviour in Subsim Store. Can't Order SH4 download.

Hey,
I happen to have some spendable money, and was all set to buy one of the SH4 download options, but it seems I can't. (what exactly is the difference? i suppose the link-thru would tell me that) Also, I'm hesitant to order on Amazon, as I read that thread where it seems Subsim isn't getting credit as you should .. plus I'd like the immediate download :P
Anyhow, I'm using Firefox, and am currently under linux. I'll try again under windows 7 in a minute. In Firefox I am running the add-in NoScript. When clicking on either of the links for the SH4 download versions, part of NoSript called ABE (Application Boundary Enforcer) blocks it. Seems it's trying to access localhost. I turned off ABE, and sure enuf, clicking the link tried to access localhost and that of course failed.
**the error ABE throws at me is :: Request {GET http://localhost/error.html<<<http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...type=3&subid=0, http://www.subsim.com/store.html-6}filtered by ABE:<LOCAL>Deny
***note: i typed all that ^^^ by hand. i looked and saw no typos, but may have missed 'em =]

I'm wondering if this may be related to the other thread where people are unable to access subsim.com at all due to server migration??
That's all for now. just started back up with subsims recently. i've got an sh3 patrol going, but finally have a computer capable of running SH4 and have long longed to play it.

artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 02:56 PM   #2
artao
Officer

Yep, same thing under Windows 7, as I expected.
I assume this is not correct behaviour, as I see no reason for subsim store to be trying to access localhost. i WANT my computer to reject all attempted connections to localhost. that's secure.
Looking forward to resolution, so I can buy SH4 =D

Old 07-04-12, 04:31 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Are you using the store page or the Amazon search at the top of the forum page? I typed in "Silent Hunter 4" and it took me right there
http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=cyberkn...ilent+hunter+4
Old 07-04-12, 04:45 PM   #4
artao
Officer

I'm using the store page. the two links to the download version of SH4. both do as i described above. Amazon itself seems to work just fine.

EDIT::
To be clear, I was specifically looking to buy the downloadable
Silent Hunter Pacific Bundle:
SH4 Full game plus U-boat missions and v1,5 Add on $26.95

I don't see that listed on amazon as downloadable. I'm unsure what version the $9.99 downloadable SH4 on Amazon is. I'd like the full shebang.

EDIT EDIT: and i realize this is a holiday today. no rush, obviously. =D

Last edited by artao; 07-04-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 12:30 PM   #5
artao
Officer

To clarify: Saying that Amazon works fine doesn't mean I've ordered from Amazon. .. They don't appear to have the full shebang download like the Subsim Store page has. I'd prefer to buy that package if possible.
Still no joy on it so far today.
Hope yer stayin cool !!

Old 07-06-12, 07:00 PM   #6
artao
Officer

um ... okayyyy
am I not supposed to use the subsim store page?
what exactly IS the downloadable version on Amazon then? It doesn't say. If I buy both downloads off Amazon (SH4: Wolves of the Pacific and the SH4: U-Boat Add-On) do I then have the equivalent of the full SH4 gold fully upgraded to 1.5 version?

Old 07-06-12, 08:16 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

He's trying to download from the Subsim Game Store page, which is a link to Direct2Drive. Apparently that link is dead.

I would just buy SH4 Gold on disc from Amazon. It's cheap and avoids all potential download hassles.
Old 07-06-12, 09:39 PM   #8
artao
Officer

Yeah, see .. I don't particularly care for Amazon. I only resort to them when I have absolutely no other choice, and then only begrudgingly.
I just attempted to order SH4 gold DVD, from the 'default' seller, some place named iNet Video .. I entered my info, choose expedtied shipping (2-6 days) and placed my order ... the shipping info told me I should expect my item sometime between next wednesday and the following week. That is NOT "2-6 day shipping". So I changed the shipping to standard shipping, 4-11 days.
The shipper then tells me my order won't arrive until between 1 week and 3 weeks.
um
NO THANKS!!!

So I canceled my order. I'm not one to put up with crap like that. It's no small part of why I dislike Amazon.

guess I'll just wait til I see it on some bargain bin shelf somewhere then.
Damn shame I can't order it thru the Subsim Store tho. Had my plastic IN HAND and ready to go. .. I guess I COULD go thru Steam as well, if all I want is the download.

Old 07-06-12, 09:51 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Amazing. I've been using Amazon for several years and have never once had an experience like that. Of course I have Amazon Prime and everything I order gets 2-day free shipping.
Old 07-07-12, 01:47 AM   #10
artao
Officer

I, and others I know, have had more bad experiences with Amazon than any other online store. Or any mail-order catalog for that matter.

Any chance the Subsim Store Direct2Drive links might come back online?

Old 07-07-12, 03:40 AM   #11
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

I doubt it,
Direct2drive turned into gamefly.com and if I search for Silent Hunter only III and V show up but no IV
never liked the looks of D2D and rather used gamersgate or steam to purchase my games if they where not available in stores.

HunterICX