SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-11, 04:54 PM   #1
cake5150
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo evasion techniques

First off, anyone have any tips on successfully evading a homing torpedo? I'm new to this, so assuming a torpedo is approaching from the starboard beam what should my actions be immediately (port or starboard countermeasures, turn directly away or at an angle, flank speed or a fast "quiet" speed)?

To practice, I've been using the wire guidance override in fire control to steer a MK48 back toward me and then attempt to evade it. Is this relatively realistic compared to say if an aircraft dropped on me or another hunter killer launched? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
cake5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 08:01 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

I think the popular solution was to first FLANK like your life depends on it. (which it does ) Then turn away from it until it is on a near stern-aspect. (this extends your remaining lifetime as much as possible) Drop an active countermeasure for the appropriate depth. Then turn further putting the torpedo on the other side of your stern, and keep on turning. Eventually your maneuvering brings you into the shadow zone of the active countermeasure. Once the line between you and torpedo passes over the countermeasure, the torpedo seems to lock onto the countermeasure instead. And you're safe for a moment until the torpedo passes through the countermeasure and may re-aquire you. You may have to do this multiple times to get out of harms way. Every time trying to get out of the detection cone. Anyway, at close range this is an art, rather than a technique.