SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-12, 10:24 PM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default How to read the Aob dial in OM

I posted this awhile ago. This is how to read the Aob dial in OM.

Short version -I was setting the Aob in the exact opposite direction.

The left side of the Aob dial says, "Bug Links." Translated this means bow of the ship left. When a target is approaching the bow of you your ship from starboard (i.e. it is moving from right to left), the Aob viewed from the target's bow is to its left (port). This means that the Aob dial on the UBoat, as viewed from the bow of the target, should be set to periscope bearing Bug Links (bow left.)

The right side of the Aob dial says, "Bug Recht." Translated this means bow of the ship right. When a target is approaching the bow of you your ship from the port (i.e. it is moving from left to right), the Aob viewed from the target's bow is to its right (starboard.) This means that the Aob dial on the UBoat, as viewed from the bow of the target, should be set to the periscope bearing Bug Recht (bow right.)

After further consideration, I am becoming convinced that the above is incorrect.

For a captain such as myself who learned on an American sub this is counter intuitive. However, it now makes sense, plus it worked. I sank the submarine in the tutorial with four shots, all hits. The Aob reading was 80 degrees Bug Links (bow left) when the target crossed the wire at 10 degrees heading right to left at 7.5 kts. If I had fired when the target crossed the wire at 0 degrees, the Aob would have been 90 Bug Links (bow left.)

The above coupled with the explanation you and Wilke provided (Wilcke sent me PMs) were correct and much appreciated. My problem was that I could not read German. I used an German to English dictionary translation to figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 04-08-12 at 02:03 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 09:20 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

If you have survived the adaptation to the metric system, then I guess that one was easy enough
Old 03-08-12, 05:29 PM   #3
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788
Uploads: 0

This is for SH5, but in the post is a link for Karamazov´s AOB and KiUB user manual

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...72&postcount=1

or look here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=21

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=110949&page=3
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote