SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-12, 11:28 AM   #1
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0
Default Invisible Turms Underwater.

Could someone tell me how to fix this issue, please?

I've been playing around with S3D and the conning tower files in OM, exporting and importing the 3D models. As a result the external tower model goes invisible when you view it from above the water when the sub is submerged.

I remember that this problem was reported in the Ops Monsun thread a while back, but I've been unable to find any evidence of how to go about fixing it?

I'm assuming it has something to do with the export/import settings in S3D?

Any help would be much appreciated as I like to learn how to fix it!

Thanks,

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 07:34 AM   #2
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Anyone?

I've had a rummage through the forum and the only thing I can find is using the stock 9d2 tower as a base - is there an easier way to do it?

Specifically it's the turm 2 and U-Flak towers that have the issue.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Old 01-21-12, 12:52 PM   #3
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS_6 View Post
What about dynamicshadow and caustics?
No, tried playing about with that. Made no difference.

I'm completely stumped on this. I even tried importing one model into another Turm that worked properly and still got the same result.

It must be the way the model's built. I'm no expert in 3D so I have no idea what could be causing it.

Mike.

Old 01-21-12, 02:56 PM   #4
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Do they have AO and Normal mapping?
Old 01-24-12, 07:36 PM   #5
MGR1
Grey Wolf

First off, sorry for the late reply - I've been working a lot lately and haven't had much computer time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Do they have AO and Normal mapping?
Hi privateer, they do have Normal mapping, but since these are the SH3 models, they don't have native occlusion mapping. I have modded the turm 4 that Ace's added an AO map to (for my own use!), but it still goes transparent when viewed from above the water. When viewed underwater it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS_6 View Post
Are materials set properly? Check "NSS_Uboat7D_coning.tga" and "Embedded image."
Yep, the materials are set properly, still no joy.

I've borrowed miner1436's image from the OM thread to illustrate what's happening:

This is what's happening to the Type 7's Turm 2 and Turm 4 options. As you can see, the exterior model goes invisible, but the interior model doesn't. This happens in "Stock" OM, before I played around importing the models. This image appears to be the Type 9 Turm 2 option, but I haven't investigated the 9 thoroughly. Turm 1 and, I think, Turm 3 for the 9 are both fine, as are the same Turms for the Type 7.

I have noticed that the Turms that work properly are linked in some way to the NSS_GESubSenzors_T01.tga, but I haven't been able to replicate whatever was done.

Mind you, the Type 7B Turm 1 works properly, but the issue surfaced when I imported the Turm 2 model with the extra gun position. Same DAT file, but different model.

Mike.

Old 02-07-12, 06:32 PM   #6
MGR1
Grey Wolf

I think I've got to the bottom of this - it's something to do with the actual model.

I found and downloaded Zeewolf's fix for the invisible issue and played around with it and it's definitely the model.

I just need to PM him and ask him what he did to the models once he exported them.

Thanks for the help anyway guys!

Mike.

Tags
how to fix?