SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-22, 11:17 AM   #4306
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default One if by land and two if by sea

/\ U Anglophile Geordi!: U overlooked the most important event of all! 1781: Colonial forces under the command of General George Washington in conjunction with French Admiral DeGrasse and the French fleet, blockading the Cheasepeake Bay, commence the seige of the trapped Lord Cornwallis's British army at Yorktown, Virginia; culminating in the end of the American Revolution.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 03:16 PM   #4307
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Bloody French, always hated us Brits. Just as bad now. Agincourt fingers to them.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-22, 11:00 AM   #4308
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

1938: British, French German and Italian leaders conclude the Munich Agreement which was aimed at appeasing megalomaniac Adolf Hitler by allowing Nazi annexation of Czechoslovakia's Sudatenland... Lesson of History learned?: 83 years later it does not pay to appease the current magalomaniac: Vlad the Annexor-who publically thinks he's Peter the Great, nostalgiclly trying to recreate Stalin's Iron Curtain...starting with Ukraine after being unopposed in Crimea. His sham 5-day "elections" at gun-point in Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson & -Zaporizhzia reflect 99% acceptance of Don Basin annexations... C'MON! What legit election ever has 99% acceptance of anything??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 08:39 AM   #4309
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1901 Holland 1 the first Royal Navy submarine launched at Barrow-in-Furness.

1940 British liner Empress, loaded with refugees for Canada, sunk.

1942 RMS Queen Mary, carrying thousands of US troops, slices cruiser HMS Curacao in half, killing 239

1944 Polish resistance fighters capitulate in the Warsaw Uprising, with some 250,000 people killed.

2007 President Roh Moo-hyun of South Korea walks across the Military Demarcation Line into North Korea on his way to the second Inter-Korean Summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-il

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 12:18 PM   #4310
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1940 British liner Empress, loaded with refugees for Canada, sunk.
Puzzled: I can find no reference, via google, of this vessel? And no records of u boat attack on u boat site I use.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-02-22, 12:29 PM   #4311
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Puzzled: I can find no reference, via google, of this vessel? And no records of u boat attack on u boat site I use.
If this wiki page about this Liner is correct then Jim has used the wrong day

Quote:
At around 9:20 am on 26 October 1940, travelling about 70 miles northwest of Ireland along the west coast, Empress of Britain was spotted by a German Focke-Wulf Fw 200C Condor long-range bomber, commanded by Oberleutnant Bernhard Jope. Jope's bomber strafed Empress of Britain three times and struck her twice with 250 kg (550 lb) bombs.

Only after Jope returned to base in northern France was it discovered which ship he had attacked. A telex was sent to German Supreme Headquarters. Realising the significance, a reconnaissance plane went to verify; and the German news agency reported that Empress of Britain had been sunk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Em...0)#War_service

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 01:07 PM   #4312
Red Devil
The Old Man

I found a site which mentions this vessel and its fate on this date. But the ship does not exist???? Its called 'on this day'.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-03-22, 11:13 AM   #4313
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1928 French submarine "Ondine" sinks returning to Toulon, drowning 42

1941 Adolf Hitler says Russia is "already broken and will never rise again" in a broadcast to the German people.

1942 Launch of 1st A-4/V-2 rocket to altitude of 53 miles (85 km)

1945 Elvis Presley's 1st public performance, at age of 10, singing "Old Shep" in youth talent contest Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show, in Tupelo, Mississippi; contest is broadcast over WELO Radio, he wins fifth prize - $5.00 in fair ride tickets.

1952 1st British nuclear test during Operation Hurricane at Monte Bello Island, Australia, UK becomes the world's third nuclear nation.

1955 Soviet battleship "Novorossiisk" strikes WW II mine in Baltic Sea.

1990 Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.

Old 10-08-22, 02:09 PM   #4314
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 Battle of Loos on WWI Western Front ends, German forces contain British attack (85,000 casualties)

1918 American soldier Alvin York single-handedly attacks German gun nest, killing at least 25 and capturing 132 Germans.

1945 US President Harry Truman announces atomic bomb secret shared with Britain and Canada.

1955 World's most powerful (at the time) aircraft carrier, USS Saratoga, launched.

1981 US President Ronald Reagan greets predecessors Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon before sending them to Egypt for Anwar Sadat's funeral.

1998 US House of Representatives votes to begin impeachment hearings against President Bill Clinton on charges of lying about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

Old 10-09-22, 02:23 PM   #4315
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 US President Franklin D. Roosevelt approves an atomic program that would become the Manhattan Project.

1958 Israeli navy inaugurates its first submarine.

2006 North Korea conducts its first nuclear test, with an estimated yield of between 0.4-2 kilotons.

Old 10-10-22, 09:33 AM   #4316
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1845 Naval School (now called US Naval Academy) opens at Annapolis.

1957 A fire at the Windscale nuclear plant in Cumbria, England becomes the world's first major nuclear accident.

1985 US fighter jets force Egyptian plane carrying hijackers of Italian ship Achille Lauro to land in Italy, gunmen are placed in custody.

2021 Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen says country won't bow to Chinese pressure in defiant speech on Taiwanese National Day, day after Chinese President Xi Jinping vowed to "fulfil reunification"

Old 10-11-22, 10:04 AM   #4317
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1939 Albert Einstein informs FDR of the possibilities of an atomic bomb.

Old 10-12-22, 08:54 AM   #4318
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1859 Self-proclaimed Emperor of the USA, Emperor Norton issues edict abolishing the US Congress.

1900 The first modern submarine is commissioned by the U.S. Navy as the USS Holland, named for its designer John Philip Holland.

1901 Theodore Roosevelt renames the "Executive Mansion" as "The White House"

1915 Despite international protest, Edith Cavell an English nurse in Belgium, is executed by the Germans for aiding the escape of Allied prisoners.

1984 IRA bombs the Grand Hotel, Brighton, where British PM Margaret Thatcher is staying, 5 die.

2000 American destroyer USS Cole is badly damaged in Aden, Yemen, by two suicide bombers, killing 17 crew members and wounding at least 39

Old 10-13-22, 11:50 AM   #4319
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1884 Greenwich in London established as the universal time meridian of longitude.

1941 Nazis kill 11,000 Jewish children and old people, in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine; additional murders continue on the 14th

1943 Italy declares war on former Axis partner Germany.

1944 US 1st army begins battle of Aachen, first German city captured during World War II

1987 1st military use of trained dolphins (US Navy in Persian Gulf)

Old 10-16-22, 12:53 PM   #4320
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 Warsaw Ghetto is formed by German Governor-General Hans Frank.

1941 Germany advances within 60 miles (96 K) of Moscow.

1946 10 Nazi leaders are hanged as war criminals after Nuremberg war trials, including Wilhelm Keitel, Joachim von Ribbentrop and Alfred Jodl.

1962 Cuban Missile Crisis begins as JFK is shown photos confirming the presence of Soviet missiles in Cuba.

1993 IRA bomb attack on fish & chips restaurant in Belfast, 10 killed.

1998 Former Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet is arrested in London on a Spanish warrant requesting his extradition on murder charges.