Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-19, 09:24 PM   #121
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
How about a simple feature that allows a player to set the tracer colour for each side? It might not be perfectly realistic, but it would accommodate those who suffer from colour blindness and other oddities (such as old eyes.)
Would be kind of an odd feature, but a very easy one to implement, so that doesn't sound like too bad of an idea...
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 09:46 PM   #122
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again, everyone!

More CIWS work since last update. Redid their trajectories to match the performance listed with real CIWS guns - the ballistic range of the AK630 is listed as 8km, with its effective range as ~4km. Also knowing muzzle velocity and gravity, this constrains the drag, and so I'm fairly confident the new ballistics are far more accurate to reality.

Also great news for sound delays...

[Music by Scott Buckley – www.scottbuckley.com.au, used under CC BY 4.0 ]

On shooting down a missile, there's only a certain chance you'll set off its warhead. The P-500 Bazalt carries a solid metric ton of high explosives, making an impressive explosion when it goes.

A Slava-class cruiser and a Spruance-class destroyer cooperate to test the Spruance's Phalanx guns.

CIWS effectiveness turned up to illustrate missile destruction effects.

I think in the finished product, the actual odds of a Spruance shooting down two incoming Bazalts with CIWS guns alone would be very low.

Of course a Slava would never be engaging a Spruance at such close range in this manner, certainly not without the two ships firing guns at each other. This was just a dev scene set up to test the CIWS code. Decided to record some and add some music.

The effectiveness of the Phalanx guns can be modified - the tracking system actually calculates the lead, and every tracer has real collision with the incoming missiles, for very surprisingly little performance cost. At 1:30 you can see this pay off with a very unlikely event - rounds meant for one missile happen to hit another and shoot it down. Perhaps there's a naval sim out there that does this kind of calculating-every-round on point defense guns, but I don't know of any.

I don't think real Phalanx guns use tracers except on the C-RAM/land variants (though perhaps they did in the early 80s), but this is a rare spot where I've taken artistic license, and it's also useful to see where the rounds are going for developing the targeting code.

Someone's already suggested customizable tracer colors - that should go nicely with being able to turn Phalanx tracers on/off.

At any rate, I'm surprised at how well I got the lead targeting script. If it's set to maximum effectiveness, it can reliably almost instantly shoot down missiles all the way at the edge of its range.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 09-03-19 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 06:06 AM   #123
Phaeton
Nub

Nice missile exercises! Let me ask a couple of questions.
1) Which kind of operation theathre shall we expect? Will it be Mediterranea only, or northern seas too? Black sea, maybe?
2) Can we expect to see some BIG BOYS in final game? I mean, CVs for NATO forces and Kirov-class cruisers for Soviet side?
3) Will you implement interactions of submerged submarines? Will it be undersea point of view for them?
Thanks in advance.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 09:20 AM   #124
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

Are ship sinkings modeled yet? The Spruance ate a Bazalt, so I guess the rear of the ship should have just disintegrated. Also I'm guessing SAMs have not been modeled yet.

It looks lovely! The tracers spitting out and the rip of the Gatling gun just make for such a cool scene.
longface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 06:11 PM   #125
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default No weekly update.

Sorry to say, nothing to show off this week. For the next bit much of the work will be with things that aren't quite as show-off-able, so it may be awhile before there's really show-off-able things again.

Mostly just UI code and camera behavior stuff this last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Nice missile exercises! Let me ask a couple of questions.
1) Which kind of operation theathre shall we expect? Will it be Mediterranea only, or northern seas too? Black sea, maybe?
2) Can we expect to see some BIG BOYS in final game? I mean, CVs for NATO forces and Kirov-class cruisers for Soviet side?
3) Will you implement interactions of submerged submarines? Will it be undersea point of view for them?
Thanks in advance.
The focus will mostly be Europe (North Sea, Baltic, Mediterranean, Black Sea and the Baltic) and the North Atlantic, but Pacific action isn't off the table by any means.

And absolutely to all the rest - that's the plan, at any rate, funding from Early Access permitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longface View Post
Are ship sinkings modeled yet? The Spruance ate a Bazalt, so I guess the rear of the ship should have just disintegrated. Also I'm guessing SAMs have not been modeled yet.

It looks lovely! The tracers spitting out and the rip of the Gatling gun just make for such a cool scene.
Nope, still a bit too early in development for that. And thanks!
Old 09-17-19, 06:58 PM   #126
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello, everyone!

Threw yet another little video together. Nothing too flashy, but wanted to show off some of the little details I've improved/added, and the UI interface for issuing attack orders. Custom pointer now shows up in the recordings, too.

There was nothing wrong, per sae, with how older naval strategy/sims handled issuing orders, but I decided I wanted the UI to feel a bit more engaging/immersive than right-clicking drop-down menus, so decided to make something loosely inspired by old control interfaces on systems like the NTDS or fire control computers from the 80s.

Harpoon is listed twice for RGM-84A and RGM-84C variants. Experimenting with different settings for showing weapon names - definitely room for a little improvement there, it's an easy fix.

Select target -> Engage -> All weapons that can engage that type of contact are listed, pick one -> either confirm, or go to Salvo fire and confirm after setting the salvo size.

Only the Metels on the Kara and Harpoons on the Spruance have been modeled so far. There's quite a bit more that's been done also, but none of it is quite ready to show off.

Please feel free to discuss and share thoughts on the system.

There's a lot more improvements in store that I'll keep adding as things move along (there's a few environmental ones I'm particularly looking forward to implementing...), but next week will be another vehicle highlight...

Music by Scott Buckley – www.scottbuckley.com.au, music used under CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Old 09-24-19, 07:03 PM   #127
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Just checking in to say that this week's development update - an expo of a new vehicle - will be delayed until tomorrow. Apologies.
Old 09-24-19, 09:34 PM   #128
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
There was nothing wrong, per sae, with how older naval strategy/sims handled issuing orders, but I decided I wanted the UI to feel a bit more engaging/immersive than right-clicking drop-down menus, so decided to make something loosely inspired by old control interfaces on systems like the NTDS or fire control computers from the 80s.
Please include a hotkey for every possible command because using right-click menus can be fun the first couple of hundred times, but it gets tedious very quickly; especially if you are forced to drag a mouse back and forth across the entire screen ad infinitum for every small command.

The ability to re-map hotkey commands (like Dangerous Waters) would be an incredible feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
Harpoon is listed twice for RGM-84A and RGM-84C variants. Experimenting with different settings for showing weapon names - definitely room for a little improvement there, it's an easy fix.
It is a good idea to allow for different names. Personally, I prefer the NATO classifications because they are easier to remember than the Soviet designations. Of course, there are always players who like to see "3GMZ-84-EiB mod 4" system listed. If possible, maybe even allow the player to re-name displays/units to something he finds more useful.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 11:15 AM   #129
Tnih_n
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Icon1 Tactical Map ?

Not sure if you have this in mind already, but will the game feature some kind of tactical map ? The control menu "map" is a bit too small. Tactical map with some function to allow the player to set path for ships, subs, airs,... Take DCS CA for example :

Regards,
Tnih_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 09:06 PM   #130
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
The ability to re-map hotkey commands (like Dangerous Waters) would be an incredible feature.

[snip]

If possible, maybe even allow the player to re-name displays/units to something he finds more useful.
Both should be relatively easy to do. I'll try to keep these good ideas in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnih_n View Post
Not sure if you have this in mind already, but will the game feature some kind of tactical map ?
But of course. This is rather essential for any naval game, really. The graphics for the map display are actually done in very high resolution, and exported from infinitely scaleable vector graphics, so a map display has been in planning since the start, but is still waiting on completion of other core features, first.
Old 09-25-19, 09:43 PM   #131
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default VEHICLE HIGHLIGHT

Hello again, everyone.

For this week's update/highlight, we'll have some cooperation with a NATO ally, and be joined by the Royal Navy.

Though too large for a Spruance's hanger, given the Spruance is the only NATO ship modeled at the moment she'll have to do for our landing pad.

This is the American designed, but British-built variant of the Sea King.

Made by Sikorsky as the SH-3 Sea King for the US Navy, it was also licensed to the UK manufacturer Westland as the Westland Sea King for the Royal Navy.

Identifiable by the six-bladed tail rotor and larger dome on the spine, this is the HAS.5 variant.

It could carry 4 Mk. 44, Mk. 46, or Sting Ray torpedoes, or 4 depth bombs, giving it a rather formidable armament.

As an aside, one little detail I'm rather happy with is the automatically-switching "rig for red" lighting.

It has a top speed of 113 knots, just one knot faster than the Soviet Ka-25 Hormone, though with a range of 1,200 km, it has three times the range.

An upgraded version built largely off of the HAS.2 variant, the HAS.5 comes standard with MEL Super Searcher radar, Racal MIR-2 Orange Crop ESM and sonobouy tubes.

Many served in this configuration in the Falkland Islands Conflict.

Some were later modified to carry the AN/ASQ-81 MAD. This aircraft in particular is modeled as one with such a modification.

More images:

Keep in mind, graphics are subject to upgrade, especially with regard to certain details...

I apologize again that this update was late, but thank you for joining us. Please feel free to comment and discuss below!
Old 09-26-19, 12:53 PM   #132
Sung
Developer

Downloads: 6

Mindblowing! So much love on the details.
Keep on the good work.

Did you have video of the starting and landing helicopter?

SILENT DEPTH the submarine simulation for your mobile device
www.silentdepth.com
https://www.facebook.com/silentdepth/

Silent Depth Manual
Sung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 07:22 PM   #133
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sung View Post
Mindblowing! So much love on the details.
Keep on the good work.

Did you have video of the starting and landing helicopter?
Not yet, unfortunately.
Old 10-01-19, 09:31 PM   #134
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

radar WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again, everyone.

Nothing new to see quite yet, but radar does have a contact: The modelers have been hard at work. Recent work has been on a lot of "under the hood" code and optimization, particularly with regards to the map and sensor systems.

Stay tuned for more updates as they come.

Though it's been brief this time, thanks again for joining us.
Old 10-08-19, 08:34 PM   #135
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again!

So, with current work focusing on things less show-offable, and not having shown a lot recently, I've decided to make the best of it and show off some of the changes to/progress on the minimap/control interface.

The overlay and definitely the console textures will probably be improved considerably before any release, but the addition of a number of simple features such as box selection and locking the map on any contact go a long way to improving the feel of the game.

Still deciding on the exact menu layout/tree structure/button positions, and playing with the font size and style to make it the most legible while maintaining a distinct aesthetic.

Also while the sensors modeled are far from complete, they work and auto-classify contact types (air, helo, surf, or sub) based off the contacts' returns and some simple logic, including true classification on visual ID, and also planned is ESM and active sonar interception to classify contacts based on their sensor type.

Also, datalink is being modeled. Should make multiplayer interesting.

Shown are NATO and Soviet colorations/modes, as well as locking the camera on the player ship, selected ship(s), or nothing, and various zooms, distance units modes and menu positions.

Also, I'm looking forward to showing off some more progress on the modellers' side next week...

Thanks for joining us, if you have any feedback or concerns with regard to the UI system please feel free to discuss. As stated before, it's a bit tricky to come up with a unique, immersive and functional/well-designed UI system that can both allow a great deal of depth to the control while not being too overwhelming on the learning curve and reasonably intuitive.