Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SH5 TDC Tutorial Threads

here are a few good TDC Tutorials

[TEC] Basic manual TDC tutorial

[TEC] Manual TDC Tutorial Video

[TEC] Auto TDC Video Lesson Up

[TEC] Super easy manual TDC info gathering With Pics!

[TEC] Comprehensive Manual TDC Videos

[TEC] Manual TDC Tutorial For SH5 with No Map contacts

Last edited by Webster; 04-08-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 02:06 PM   #2
Ablemaster
An able master

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 5

Excellent stuff, very helpful, thanks.
Old 03-10-10, 03:24 PM   #3
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0

I would like to see manual targeting guide with 100% realism. I just don't remember how to take speed of the enemy's ship and the AOB..
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 07:02 AM   #4
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Great idea, things are moving so quickly in the SH5 forums at the moment it's easy to miss most important stuff like this. Well done to those guys making the tutorials and providing the kind of key knowledge for newbs to the game that Ubi has for some reason decided not to supply in its manual to the "more accessible SH5".
Old 03-11-10, 12:25 PM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

excuse me but what are all these 'tutorials' ??

when we speak for MANUAL targeting the ''map contacts update'' must be OFF !
other than that is NOT manual targeting and you don't need any 'tutorial' for start shooting ! if map contacts are ON you get the distance ,speed ,aob anytime you want from map ....its only an arcade gameplay

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 12:37 PM   #6
Indietro
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
excuse me but what are all these 'tutorials' ??

when we speak for MANUAL targeting the ''map contacts update'' must be OFF !
other than that is NOT manual targeting and you don't need any 'tutorial' for start shooting ! if map contacts are ON you get the distance ,speed ,aob anytime you want from map ....its only an arcade gameplay
Absolutelly correct.. But you will find lots of newbies who says: "it's manual targeting, we don't use colored triangles anymore" LOL
Old 03-12-10, 10:08 AM   #7
Barosx2
Seaman

Downloads: 60

Thank You, Very helpful.

Now I realised by moving the scope, altering speed of the torps..it all makes sense
Barosx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 11:20 AM   #8
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Mak,

A lot of people moving from the old Auto TDC to the new one are not understanding the general principles behind AOB, Speed etc since the old system populated that information for you.
For this reason map contacts are on to teach how to gather the data without using the auto tdc.
These Tutorials are not aimed at people who have been using Manual targeting since SHIII, they are aimed at people who do not want to play connect the dots and want to learn how to start gathering information.
100% realism isn't actually 100% realism, In a sub you had several people helping with the information gathering, and torp firing.
The Captain was not the only person on the ship. Since we do not get help from our team onboard map contacts also help provide this feeling.

Don't be elitist because you don't use map contacts, not everyone knows how to play this Game (yes it is a game) and need pointers to get going.
So you can either Help the community by writing a tutorial of your own, or do as you are doing now and jump into threads where people are attempting to help the community and stroke your e-peen by putting down those who don't understand the concepts as well as you appear to.
I guess you jumped right into SHIII and were able to hit with 100% realism from day 1 right? You understood all the principles, and information gathering techniques as well right?
emtguf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 09:15 PM   #9
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtguf View Post
Mak,

A lot of people moving from the old Auto TDC to the new one are not understanding the general principles behind AOB, Speed etc since the old system populated that information for you.
For this reason map contacts are on to teach how to gather the data without using the auto tdc.
These Tutorials are not aimed at people who have been using Manual targeting since SHIII, they are aimed at people who do not want to play connect the dots and want to learn how to start gathering information.
100% realism isn't actually 100% realism, In a sub you had several people helping with the information gathering, and torp firing.
The Captain was not the only person on the ship. Since we do not get help from our team onboard map contacts also help provide this feeling.

Don't be elitist because you don't use map contacts, not everyone knows how to play this Game (yes it is a game) and need pointers to get going.
So you can either Help the community by writing a tutorial of your own, or do as you are doing now and jump into threads where people are attempting to help the community and stroke your e-peen by putting down those who don't understand the concepts as well as you appear to.
I guess you jumped right into SHIII and were able to hit with 100% realism from day 1 right? You understood all the principles, and information gathering techniques as well right?

thats exactly my point Emtguf ! the 'tutorials' are ok for the new players (although you can still and always have a look at Wazoo's tutorial)
BUT if you want to talk for manual targeting then these are no 'tutorials' at all !
and the purpose of my message was exactly this : to post someone a tutorial for manual targeting .i am saying 'someone' becuase i don't play this ....xm...game at all and i don't intend to start 'vanishing' myself trying to find the tools and correcting them (did you saw the...... ruler ? a big 'improvement' but to....backwards)
you can bet that if i liked this game now you will have this tutorial so you can't call me 'elitist' !
it is starting getting annoying the fact that people are getting so easily rude against other members in forum .next time, i suggest to you Emtguf to think before you post

Old 03-13-10, 01:39 AM   #10
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Mak,

The Wahoo tutorial is for SH4 nto 5.
The TDC in 5 is completely different at this time. Also the Stadimeter in SH5 is not really working at this point so going off of an old method to try and gain the knowledge in a new TDC setup does not really work especially when several of the tools you need (stadimeter, speed etc..) are presently broken.

So for someone attempting to learn the new TDC, these methods are indeed Tutorials, and do indeed show the basics on how to start gathering data for people who are used to point and click in SH3 and 4.

By your own admission you do not play this game, so until you do don;t knock the help that people are giving in an attempt to get this game playable by more people in a much more realistic manner than the present Auto TDC.
Old 03-13-10, 05:38 AM   #11
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtguf View Post
Mak,

The Wahoo tutorial is for SH4 nto 5.
The TDC in 5 is completely different at this time. Also the Stadimeter in SH5 is not really working at this point so going off of an old method to try and gain the knowledge in a new TDC setup does not really work especially when several of the tools you need (stadimeter, speed etc..) are presently broken.

So for someone attempting to learn the new TDC, these methods are indeed Tutorials, and do indeed show the basics on how to start gathering data for people who are used to point and click in SH3 and 4.

By your own admission you do not play this game, so until you do don;t knock the help that people are giving in an attempt to get this game playable by more people in a much more realistic manner than the present Auto TDC.
i can't understand why you continue this.

Wazoo is not a tutorial for sh4 or sh5 or sh3.its a method that works at any sh.it is having the contact updates on thats why is still in use for the new sh5 players.
you don't need the stadimeter when contact updates is on or the speed tool (what is this???) you are saying.
the only tool you need is a good ruler and an angle tool(this is in).you get the range from map,you get the aob from map,you get the course from map(speed is pretty easy then to be calculated) .you don't even have to identify your target ! for what reason to do that....

now, if you are telling me that all these 'tutorials' are there to show how to input this data in the 'new' tdc then i allready told you that these 'tutorials' are fine for new players.
the point of my message that you still don't understand is that these 'tutorials' ARE NOT FOR MANUAL TARGETING !
but as i saw today ,Gutted posted a tutorial for that direction .Gutted's tutorial IS for manual targeting

ps: there is no need to start playing the game,there is nothing there to figure out and i DIDN'T KNOCK anyone's help (only you believe so) .i only told that these tutorials WAS NOT for manual targeting ...why is that bothering you so?

if you want to continue this,please pm and all would be sorted out

Old 03-13-10, 06:16 AM   #12
Indietro
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Realistic targeting ATM is not possible due to several issues. First of all there is no way to choose custom percentage of realism before starting the campaign. You have rough options to choose as: Easy, Medium, Hard, Realistic. However if Realistic is chosen you are also having no stabilized view option ON that is historically incorect (U-boats had optics with these litle mirrors that were moving accordingly with the buoyancy of the boat to keep the view more stable while looking through pericope or UZO). So basically the use of stadimeter for range calculations with "no stabilized view - ON" is impossible.Secondly the lame ship ID manual without any info about ships parameters and no Zielkurswinkel makes manual targeting a PITA. Ok AOB you can set by eye more or less accurately.. More dificult is to get a speed without Zielkurswinkel and as I said before - poor information about the ship (lenght, mast, draft). As a last resort you can use 3.15 rule to count the speed, but in this case you have to know where the ship is exactly and mark it before and after 3.15. So 3.15 is ok if you play on Hard settings with nav map updates on and when you can see ships in map, but this is the limit. P.S. I'm not aware if WO reports nearest visual contact on demand ? If yes and his answer consists of the bearing and range you can also find him on the map and mark with marker as it was there and using 3.15 rule get the speed..
Old 03-13-10, 12:00 PM   #13
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

To set Custom settings you have to hit escape before you go on patrol. Accept your mission, then hit escape and go to options. You can change things..

Mak,

You don;t understand as you don't play this game. The tools you use to get the information needed to mark contacts on a map are broken. These are Manual TDC tutorials. They show how to enter data in the TDC manually. Therefor they are indeed tutorials. You really need to stop now until you actually have played this game.
Old 03-14-10, 11:52 PM   #14
Scoochy
Sparky

Downloads: 24

Little confused here. I went and checked out Wazoo's tutorial and am getting caught on "Step 2"

Get Range to Target

Place the horizontal line of your scope on the waterline of the target.
Next, click on “Range” in the Notepad. This will switch you to the Stadimeter
which you then place at the top of the highest mast of the ship.
Click the left mouse button when the line has been placed on the highest mast.
The range to target will then appear in the Notepad.

NOTE: The highest mast can be determined in the Ship Registry by looking at the target page that has only one ship on it.

With the stadimeter being broke, how are we supposed to find range?

Old 03-14-10, 11:58 PM   #15
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoochy View Post
Little confused here. I went and checked out Wazoo's tutorial and am getting caught on "Step 2"

With the stadimeter being broke, how are we supposed to find range?
By understanding how it's broken and adapting to that.

Read here for some suggestions of how to use the standimeter with various ship types till it's fixed:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...75&postcount=3

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote