SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-07, 07:41 AM   #16
ryuzu
Navy Dude

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus
If you have many hours to kill, I would recommend reading the book "Das Boot". The author was very skilled in his craft.

The vast majority of the cruise nothing but nothing was happening, but the author was able to express this killing boredom very well but still keeping the story moving.

While I love the movie, somehow the book conveyed the atmosphere a bit more emotionally to me.
True - the film had to fit a cinematic time frame and so the "non-action" parts were compressed just enough to convey the story line.

The original TV series was, if I remember correctly, 6 episdoes long - 6 hours - a bit over double the movie length. There was more time available to build the weight of boredom before releasing it with a brief attack and then once again letting the viewer see a depth charging for an extended period.

Worked rather well overall and probably more popular outside Germany than in...

r.
ryuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 07:42 AM   #17
Samu*
Watch

Downloads: 1

Or if you arent a book type of person, try to find Das Boot - Director's Cut. Its more than 4 and ½ hour long version and its generally much better than original in my opinion. Comes much closer the general feeling of the book which I have read aswell

"My loyalty is my honor"
-The motto engraved on the belt buckles of SS troops.
Samu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 08:03 AM   #18
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus
If you have many hours to kill, I would recommend reading the book "Das Boot". The author was very skilled in his craft.

The vast majority of the cruise nothing but nothing was happening, but the author was able to express this killing boredom very well but still keeping the story moving.

While I love the movie, somehow the book conveyed the atmosphere a bit more emotionally to me.
Amen
Old 03-26-07, 09:19 AM   #19
Der Graf Von Rudkilde
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Default Das Boot

Das Boot is not fiction - Its based on the log book and the survivers storys from the boat -
What you c in the movie really happend during the war for that sub - Thus its compressed into one war patrol is it the most realistic submarine movie ever.

The directors cut wich last over 4 hours is the one to see

Who will ever forget when Capitain Thomsen on his celebration of his iron cross after he pukes on the toilets in the bar, saying :

I am not in a conditon to *******, Sieg heil

Der Graf Von Rudkilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 01:48 PM   #20
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccruner13
i bought all quiet on the western front in 8th grade and i have read it several times. easily top 5 ive ever read.

the book chickenhawk also up there. vietnam helicopter pilot's story
Then you'll probably like The 13th Valley by John DelVecchio. One of the best war books ever written, and in my opinion the best Vietnam story ever written. Then there's The Middle Parts of Fortune, which takes place during the battles of the Somme and Ancre in 1916-17. Both of these are excellent 'anti-war' books, and in my opinion they deserve joint first place in any war fiction library.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 03:42 PM   #21
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

As described in another thread on this forum, the author of Das Boot recently died
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 04:01 PM   #22
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmSchulz.
BTW: Yes it is a grate movie.
It's "great".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuzu
The original TV series was, if I remember correctly, 6 episdoes long - 6 hours - a bit over double the movie length. There was more time available to build the weight of boredom before releasing it with a brief attack and then once again letting the viewer see a depth charging for an extended period.
It's available on DVD. It's called Das Boot: The Original, Uncut Version, and with the opening and closing episode credits removed it's just under 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Graf Von Rudkilde
Das Boot is not fiction - Its based on the log book and the survivers storys from the boat. What you c in the movie really happend during the war for that sub - Thus its compressed into one war patrol is it the most realistic submarine movie ever.
Yes it is fiction. Lothar-Gunther Bucheim based the book on his own experience as a correspondent in a U-boat patrol, but he freely admitted that he changed names and fictionalized a lot of the story. Several real u-boatmen criticized him for this. If you want the reality, get his book U-Boat War.

He didn't even use a real boat in the book, he called it U-A. The real U-96 was indeed the boat he rode on, but it was sunk in an air-raid, but not until 1944. And the real "Old Man", Otto-Wilhelm Lehmanbock, didn't die, but served as a technical adviser on the movie.

Quote:
The directors cut wich last over 4 hours is the one to see
No, the Director's Cut is only 3-/2 hours. As I said above, the Uncut version is the best, and it's just under 5 hours.
Old 03-26-07, 06:24 PM   #23
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Recently watched the full uncut version for the first time, after owning it for almost a year. (Shame on me, but I can blame the computer for keeping me away from the TV).

Absolutely loved it. Not quite what I expected (a lot more of nothing happening than something happening), but it didn't disappoint me at all. I can't wait to watch it again, even though the end did leave me with a lasting impression about the pointlessness and tragedy of the people who fight in wars.

Even my wife thought it was fantastic. Despite having no plan to watch it she became drawn in as they headed out of port. Gave us something different to talk about for the rest of the evening after it finished. What's more, she wants to watch it again soon too!
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 11:20 AM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's odd, but I had the strangest reaction to the ending. I didn't take it as anti-war, and I saw no futility at all. It just seemed to me to be very German. After all, they did invent opera (even though the Italians took it to greater heights), and operas always have a bad ending.
Old 03-27-07, 01:35 PM   #25
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm
Recently watched the full uncut version for the first time, after owning it for almost a year. (Shame on me, but I can blame the computer for keeping me away from the TV).

Absolutely loved it. Not quite what I expected (a lot more of nothing happening than something happening), but it didn't disappoint me at all. I can't wait to watch it again, even though the end did leave me with a lasting impression about the pointlessness and tragedy of the people who fight in wars.

Even my wife thought it was fantastic. Despite having no plan to watch it she became drawn in as they headed out of port. Gave us something different to talk about for the rest of the evening after it finished. What's more, she wants to watch it again soon too!
WOW

Mine legs it as soon as it goes on
:rotfl:

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:10 PM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

It taught me a moral: Always park your vehicle under cover

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 03:36 PM   #27
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm
Recently watched the full uncut version for the first time, after owning it for almost a year.
Don't feel bad. I've owned Apocalypse Now Redux since christmas and haven't watched it either. And its my favourite movie! I'm just biding my time for the right moment. Its really a once a year movie.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 03:39 PM   #28
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

A great discussion going on here, but the topic has clearly steered towards an area where placing it in the Films & Books forums will be more appropiate -and better seen by people who browse for those themes-. Moving it there