SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-07, 02:04 AM   #1
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Flyboys

I just saw this movie. Man, those dogfights really got my blood pumping. I really liked it. It was pretty amazing for an independant movie.

What did yall think?
Old 02-02-07, 06:21 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I was disappointed they called it "Based on the true story", when nothing in it had anything to do with the real Lafayette Escadrille, and I thought the CGI was overblown. On top of that I was a little miffed that every single German fighter was a Fokker Dr-1. On the other hand, the bomber sequences were cool and it's so rare we get a WWI airplane movie that I'll probably end up buying a copy, but not until it's in Wal-Mart's $5.50 bin.

If you want to see a classic, check out Wings, from 1927. Great flying sequences.

The one I'm really looking forward to is the upcoming Red Baron. http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/
Old 04-05-07, 11:06 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Wings and Hell's Angels are two excellent WWI fighter movies.

I liked the movie Flyboys. The structural strength of the Dr.1 was overstated. It was a very maneuverable plane but only at low speeds. Diving at high speeds and then pulling up would result in transforming the Triplane into a Biplane with the resulting increase in vertical velosity.

And of course how the movie ended (the last battle) was hard to take. That would have been an almost impossible single shot, but made for a nice movie.

It is good to see movies about WWI. It is soon to be a totally forgotten war

Many of the warplanes in WWI had specalized moves that gave then an advantage. The key to survival was to knowing what your plane could do better than the other plane and prevent the other plane from doing what it does best.

I did like the explaination of why they wore silk scarves. That was nice.

Has anyone seen the film "the kid who could not miss"? It is about Billy Bishop and I sure would like to get a copy of it.
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:41 AM   #4
Enigma
The Old Man

Downloads: 7

As a pilot and aviation enthusiast, I was super excited to see this film. I left very, very disapointed. A thought it was among the worst films ive seen in a long, long time.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:27 PM   #5
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus
Wings and Hell's Angels are two excellent WWI fighter movies.

I liked the movie Flyboys. The structural strength of the Dr.1 was overstated. It was a very maneuverable plane but only at low speeds. Diving at high speeds and then pulling up would result in transforming the Triplane into a Biplane with the resulting increase in vertical velosity.

And of course how the movie ended (the last battle) was hard to take. That would have been an almost impossible single shot, but made for a nice movie.

It is good to see movies about WWI. It is soon to be a totally forgotten war

Many of the warplanes in WWI had specalized moves that gave then an advantage. The key to survival was to knowing what your plane could do better than the other plane and prevent the other plane from doing what it does best.

I did like the explaination of why they wore silk scarves. That was nice.

Has anyone seen the film "the kid who could not miss"? It is about Billy Bishop and I sure would like to get a copy of it.
I for one would Love to see someone put the time and money
into either Coronel and The Falklands or more importantly
Jutland which would really really make good film lots o steel
lots O Big Big Badabooms and some witty dialogue to boot.
MM

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 02:43 PM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Jutland would be great. There is so much data known about that battle the movie would practically write itself if sticking to history was the goal.

Coronel would be also interesting. Ever wonder why one of the first battles of the First World War happened on the South Western coast of South America???

It is a very interesting story

Both of these would be great movies.

I also would love to see a movie on the Commerce Raider Emden. After reading the exploits you have a hard time remembering that this is fact and not fiction. What adventure!!
Old 04-05-07, 05:01 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Coronel would be also interesting. Ever wonder why one of the first battles of the First World War happened on the South Western coast of South America???
I agree with all your suggestions, but for Coronel you'd have to explain why Craddock said "I trust I won't suffer the fate of poor Troubridge."
Old 04-06-07, 04:04 AM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

I agree with all your suggestions, but for Coronel you'd have to explain why Craddock said "I trust I won't suffer the fate of poor Troubridge."[/quote]

What ever happened to Captain Wray? Did he get court martialed?

It is interesting that Craddock and Troubridge were in simular situtations but each acted differently based on what they thought was right.
Old 04-06-07, 12:35 PM   #9
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Quote:
I for one would Love to see someone put the time and money
into either Coronel and The Falklands
Rich material for a well written screen play. Comrades before the war , forced into adverserial roles they don't expect and both commanders doomed, in their different ways, to a watery grave. A poignant story indeed .
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 04:57 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
What ever happened to Captain Wray? Did he get court martialed?
The only connection I could find online showed a partial listing indicating he served under Craddock, but when I clicked on the link it was dead, so I don't know.