Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-23, 09:15 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Opinions on hard shell guitar cases

I have finished all the tweaks on the ESP Electric lead guitar. It has 2, nice sets of Humbucker pickups in it now It has a locking nut at the base of the head stock, standard. I also found a nice set of gold, Shaller locking tuners. Most think this is overkill with a locking nut but I may not use that. Floyd Rose tremolo's are great but a royal pain in the ..... when it comes to tuning. I would rather have the strings locked by the Floyd Rose bridge tremolo at the aft end of the guitar and locking tuners in the head stock and tune the guitar there.

I have seen friends buy what are considered cheaper guitars but have great tone woods like Alder, Ash and Mahogany, among others. I am of the opinion that body wood compositions are less important with modern amplifiers. It is more important to go with with good pickups and or sensors. They take the " cheap " guitars and hot rod them with good pickups and hardware. This saves their valuable, vintage guitars from theft and or damage on the road.

I went to get a good guitar case and there are a plethora of them. I have a couple thrashed out hard shell guitar cases. I was going to get a thick piece of Polystyrene, Polyurethane or Fiberglass and rout it out in the shape of the guitar body, although go out a 1/4 of an inch or better to allow for the plush fabrics covering the inside of the routed material. It can be a bit of work but fun.

Instead, I found two guitar cases that are custom fits for this guitar and wanted your opinions. The first is pretty basic while the other is kinda freaky.

This is the second case. My lady absolutely hates it.

Which do you like and opinions ? This may become important later because I may be living in the cases at some point.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 06:13 PM   #2
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Hi Robert. Go with the "Basic Black".....you can't go wrong with that. That goes for a lot of things - clothes, cars, even coffee

The other one......I'm with your lady. I find it disturbing. I absolutely hate the "Death Cult" imagery that pervades modern Western society these days......if you do end up getting the 2nd one you'll find it's like a tattoo, great to start with, but as time passes you'll come to hate it.

After all it's just a box....what's important is what's inside.
Old 03-10-23, 10:49 PM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

On the other hand, the tombstone case is a conversation piece which I don't associate with death cult, more like classic Vincent Price horror schtick. Anyway, it's just a case.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-23, 10:13 AM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
Hi Robert. Go with the "Basic Black".....you can't go wrong with that. That goes for a lot of things - clothes, cars, even coffee

The other one......I'm with your lady. I find it disturbing. I absolutely hate the "Death Cult" imagery that pervades modern Western society these days......if you do end up getting the 2nd one you'll find it's like a tattoo, great to start with, but as time passes you'll come to hate it.

After all it's just a box....what's important is what's inside.

I agree with you, Arnold and Budda. To be honest, I did go with the basic black case for the reasons you mentioned, Arnold. Both cases have the identical interiors. I don't have any tats or piercings. So, I get your meaning.

The guitar itself is rather striking in a transparent blue, showing the wood grains of the guitar. I do prefer basic and plain cases that give little idea of what's inside, other than a guitar. Ironically, the gentleman I have always dealt with at the music shop had never seen the " Tombstone " case. He was going to get it for me at a discount and I told him, " No Way." As Budda had said, they are a functioning novelty item and conversation piece.

The cost of Guitars and cases has gone through the roof in the last few years. A basic Fender Stratocaster is about $ 1400 and good, form fitting cases are in the $ 200 range. I had purchased a new Stratocaster plus case from the music shop years ago for $ 70.00. I had also purchased a couple Stratocaster cases that were thrashed out with the idea of rebuilding the interiors. The outsides were high impact plastic and intact.

I have always associated Jackson, Kramer and the like with heavy metal music, which I can't stand. The pickups in them have a harsh, raunchy sound for playing heavy metal. The ESP I have was basically no different but now has Gibson PAF ( Patent applied for ) Humbucking pickups found in the Les Paul. With the Floyd Rose Tremolo / bridge and Pickups and Push-Pull Pots at the volume and tone controls to coil split the Humbuckers. I get warm sounds suitable for Jazz to bright tones for playing blues and rock and everything in between.
By the way Arnold, a blond woman in a black dress looks great too.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-13-23 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-11-23, 07:45 PM   #5
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Regarding 'stand out' cases, it is often best, if you are gigging and traveling to have a simple , generic case instead of something that draws attention; I remember one guy, in a band I sometimes sat in with, who was sometimes mocked for having his very expensive guitar in a very nondescript case; his response was "Imagine there's some guy who is intent of stealing a guitar at a gig. he sees the cases with the brand logos or some sort of customization and then he sees my woebegone case; if you were the guy deciding which one to steal, what would be your choice? The guitars in the flash cases or the one that looks like it contains a low grade guitar?" I never had a brand name case with logos on it nor have I ever used branded gig bags; I have never gad a guitar stolen but I have known not a few who have been ripped off and targeted because they had their guitar in a flash case; this holds true if you have to check in your guitar as luggage; the less conspicuous the case/bag, the less tempting it is for sticky fingers...

Speaking of checking in guitars as luggage, in the times when I had to take a guitar on a plane, I always just bought a seat for the guitar and strapped it in for the fight; that was all pre-9/11 and I'm sure the rules have significantly changed in the following tears; there was one instance where the airline desk clerk refused to sell me another seat for my guitar, but a very kind stewardess took pity on me and snacked it on board and secured in a cupboard used by the flight crew; I was very grateful for that kind young lady...

<O>
Old 03-12-23, 01:43 AM   #6
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I agree with you, Arnold and Budda. To be honest, I did go with the basic black case for the reasons you mentioned, Arnold. Both cases have the identical interiors. I don't have any tats or piercings. So, I get your meaning.

The guitar itself is rather striking in a transparent blue, showing the wood grains of the guitar. I do prefer basic and plain cases that give little idea of what's inside, other than a guitar. Ironically, the gentleman I have always dealt with at the music shop had never seen the " Tombstone " case. He was going to get it for me at a discount and I told him, " No Way." As Budda had said, they are a functioning novelty item and conversation piece.

The cost of Guitars and cases has gone through the roof in the last few years. A basic Fender Stratocaster is about $ 1400 and good, form fitting cases are in the $ 200 range. I had purchased a new Stratocaster plus case from the music shop years ago for $ 70.00. I had also purchased a couple Stratocaster cases that were thrashed out with the idea of rebuilding the interiors. The outsides were high impact plastic and intact.

I have always associated Jackson, Kramer and the like with heavy metal music, which I can't stand. The pickups in them have a harsh, raunchy sound for playing heavy metal. The ESP I have was basically no different but now has Gibson PAF ( Patent applied for ) Humbucking pickups found in the Les Paul. With the Floyd Rose Tremolo / bridge and Pickups and Push-Pull Pots at the volume and tone controls to coil split the Humbuckers. I get warm sounds suitable for Jazz to bight tones for playing blues and rock and everything in between.
By the way Arnold, a blond woman in a black dress looks great too.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.
White, Crystal, and Gold, were her favourite colours. She wore them, and her unit was decorated likewise. She only had a few black outfits but they looked wow on her.....

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 03-12-23 at 01:55 AM. Reason: clumsy English.
Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-23, 12:01 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Regarding 'stand out' cases, it is often best, if you are gigging and traveling to have a simple , generic case instead of something that draws attention; I remember one guy, in a band I sometimes sat in with, who was sometimes mocked for having his very expensive guitar in a very nondescript case; his response was "Imagine there's some guy who is intent of stealing a guitar at a gig. he sees the cases with the brand logos or some sort of customization and then he sees my woebegone case; if you were the guy deciding which one to steal, what would be your choice? <O>
I feel the same way. This is why I mention the " Thrashed out " cases. Ironically, I purchased two Fender rectangular cases. One was for a Fender Squier Stratocaster. The other just had raised lettering that said, Fender. The Squier case was a full two inches longer. As mentioned, after buying them on the cheap, I planned on rebuilding the interiors.

Eisenwurst had said, " It's what's in the case that matters." That's true but if you have a good guitar, you want the interior to protect that investment. I have seen talented friends create pine boxes, then split them on a table saw and install good hinges, locks and plush interiors. They are great, albeit, a bit heavy for doing gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
White, Crystal, and Gold, were her favourite colours. She wore them, and her unit was decorated likewise. She only had a few black outfits but they looked wow on her.....
I know you think of her very often which is why I mentioned the black dress. A lass I knew once wore one when we went out for New Years eve celebrations one year and she looked absolutely stunning.

All the best to you, my friend.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-12-23 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-12-23, 12:21 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A funny input to the interesting topic.

As Eisenwurst wrote:

"After all it's just a box....what's important is what's inside."

Which reminded me to tell you this.

Do remember to put the right thing for the right job inside your guitar cases-So you don't open the cases at the music lesson and discovere you have taken you Tommy Submachine gun with you instead of your guitar.

End of a Funny input to...

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-23, 12:48 PM   #9
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
A funny input to the interesting topic.

As Eisenwurst wrote:

"After all it's just a box....what's important is what's inside."

Which reminded me to tell you this.

Do remember to put the right thing for the right job inside your guitar cases-So you don't open the cases at the music lesson and discovere you have taken you Tommy Submachine gun with you instead of your guitar.

End of a Funny input to...

Markus

It's funny you would mention that, Markus. One time, in college, I brought my Guitar and case to class as I had just come from the auditorium. I sat the case in the front of the classroom, off to the side and took my seat. My professor / instructor asked if there was a guitar in the case or a machine gun.
Old 03-12-23, 01:36 PM   #10
ET2SN
ET2/SS

If the case is the star, just how good is the player?

The hard case is usually the best option but sometimes it comes down to how often you play that guitar. If its only a couple times a year, a case won't protect your axe from overly dry or humid storage.
I would vote for the black hard case. A generic case would be even better to protect the guitar from sticky fingers.

I knew a guy back in Maine in the 1980's who found an old Gibson LP in a pawn shop.
This guitar had the old school black lacquer paint, tuners, and knobs.
It also had three pick ups and it was all original.

He managed to buy it cheap so he could play with his band at weekend gigs.
When the LP wasn't working, he just kept it on a stand.
The first time I saw it, I knew what it was.

I asked him if I could buy it and he said..

"Neither of us could afford it."

He knew what he had and how hard it would be to replace it.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-23, 02:01 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
If the case is the star, just how good is the player?

The hard case is usually the best option but sometimes it comes down to how often you play that guitar. If its only a couple times a year, a case won't protect your axe from overly dry or humid storage.
I would vote for the black hard case. A generic case would be even better to protect the guitar from sticky fingers.

I knew a guy back in Maine in the 1980's who found an old Gibson LP in a pawn shop.
This guitar had the old school black lacquer paint, tuners, and knobs.
It also had three pick ups and it was all original.

He managed to buy it cheap so he could play with his band at weekend gigs.
When the LP wasn't working, he just kept it on a stand.
The first time I saw it, I knew what it was.

I asked him if I could buy it and he said..

"Neither of us could afford it."

He knew what he had and how hard it would be to replace it.
I agree on the basic black case. It does have nice plush, Grey interior and is a custom fit. Generic cases like Gator cases don't offer great neck supports for the guitars. This is often the case with generic cases. I won't buy them. I would rather build my own If I couldn't find something suitable. Your friend had a great find and made an awesome purchase with the Les Paul.

Peter Frampton had a number of the three " Buckers " Les Paul guitars. Peter used them exclusively. Peter had Issues with his Guitar one night and an Audience member who played guitar's and Les Paul's made some modifications for Peter. Peter loved it and it became his number one Guitar. They are as rare as hen's teeth. Peter Frampton lost his prized 1954 three " Bucker " Les Paul Guitar in a cargo plane crash- Or so he thought. The Guitar turned up decades later and after some negotiations, Peter was reunited with his prized Les Paul Guitar.

Peter Frampton poses with the guitar he thought he'd lost forever.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/pet...after-31-years

ESP makes the higher end EC-1000 Les Paul Copy. It has a Mahogany body, set neck construction and high end EMG- 81/60 pickups. It also offers a 24-fret Macassar ebony fingerboard. Available in Vintage Black finish. They are about $ 1000.

https://www.espguitars.com/products/...0-vb#gallery-1

The ESP LTD EC-256 is another great option. They are about $ 550 and feature a mahogany body and neck and roasted jatoba fingerboard. The pickups are ESP Designed LH-150 passive pickups. The pickups work but have absolutely no character and have a harsh tone, to my ears.

https://www.amazon.com/ESP-EC-256-El.../dp/B00BEZY290

Drawbacks to a Number of ESP LTD models is fret buzz. Most of these guitars, depending on where they were constructed need the frets leveled. Calculate That fact into your final costs.

Probably the best Les Paul style Guitar is made by Epiphone. They feature good pickups and sound great. Drawbacks are that the body is made from several pieces instead of one solid one.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-12-23 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-12-23, 03:20 PM   #12
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon14

I'm old enough that whenever I look at an LP, my first thought is to find a good chiropractor.

Still, if I had to.. I like the Epiphones. Maybe an SG body?
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-23, 03:27 PM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I'm old enough that whenever I look at an LP, my first thought is to find a good chiropractor.

Still, if I had to.. I like the Epiphones. Maybe an SG body?

My Les Paul comes in at 14 pounds.

I do love the Gibson PAF Humbuckers, though.
Old 03-16-23, 09:48 AM   #14
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Both of my Les Pauls are fairly light, with the Studio being really lightweight for a LP. People often talk about how heavy Les Pauls are, and they're heavier usually than Strats sure. But there is a big variance here. And too, balance is a big part of it. Anyone who has gigged with a SG knows what I mean I am sure.

I like the grave case. That's pretty cool. If it supports the guitar properly I'd go with that one. Oh I see you got the black one.

Here are my two Les Pauls. The one on the left is a desertburst Studio Plus. Surprisingly lightweight. My number one. The LP on the right is a Classic in honeyburst. Hot ceramics and noticably heavier than the Studio. Both are top-wrapped. Cases are obviously the stock Gibson USA hardshells.

Last edited by Threadfin; 03-16-23 at 10:00 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 10:33 AM   #15
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Both of my Les Pauls are fairly light, with the Studio being really lightweight for a LP. People often talk about how heavy Les Pauls are, and they're heavier usually than Strats sure. But there is a big variance here. And too, balance is a big part of it. Anyone who has gigged with a SG knows what I mean I am sure.

I like the grave case. That's pretty cool. If it supports the guitar properly I'd go with that one. Oh I see you got the black one.

Here are my two Les Pauls. The one on the left is a desertburst Studio Plus. Surprisingly lightweight. My number one. The LP on the right is a Classic in honeyburst. Hot ceramics and noticably heavier than the Studio. Both are top-wrapped. Cases are obviously the stock Gibson USA hardshells.

Wow and wow. Those are great Les Paul Guitars. I don't see a mark on them.

Al Pitrelli, Joel Hoekstra and Chris Caffery of Trans-Siberean Orchestra all play Les Paul's and Gibson Guitars in their shows. Alex Skolnick has also played with Trans-Siberean Orchestra and has played his ESP LTD Signature AS-1 which are essentially Les Paul copies. Others like Slash, and Peter Frampton have shown there is still a lot of life left in the Les Paul's.
Then again, these guys are so good, they could string up a cereal box with rubber bands and make them sound good. A Guitar teacher of mine used Les Paul's, exclusively as well. His Les Paul was called a Silver-back but was greenish in color.

The Les Paul tune o Matic Bridge / Tremolo doesn't look particularly sophisticated as compared to the Fender and Floyd Rose Tremolo and yet plays buttery smooth. As you said, there seems to a large variance in weights with regards to the Les Paul. I have a light Ash bodied Stratocaster that weighs like 5 lbs.

The Tombstone case as you said is cool but it wasn't something I wanted. The Interior is identical to the plain black case I ended up purchasing. Congratulations on owning such exemplary examples of the fabled Les Paul Guitars. By the way, do your guitars have the factory PAF Humbuckers or the slightly hotter versions of them or something else ?

I want them.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-16-23 at 10:41 AM.