SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-23, 08:21 AM   #1
CaptainKoloth
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Why has there never been a "switch for switch accurate" naval game?

I was thinking about this earlier: there are games that are a 1:1, switch-for-switch accurate representation of most kinds of combat vehicles, such that you can use the real operating manuals to play the game or in theory learn the vehicle in the game, for virtually everything EXCEPT naval vessels:

1) Fixed-wing aircraft (e.g. DCS and MSFS)
2) Helicopters (same)
3) Tanks (e.g. Steel Beasts)
4) Cars and trucks (countless games)

But as far as I can tell such a game just doesn't exist for naval games, subsurface or otherwise. DW, 688, SH all seem to be (as someone who's never served on a real naval vessel and just going off what I've read) "spiritually accurate" in that they have the key systems and concepts, but they're not actually simulating 1:1 facsimiles of the real consoles so far as I am aware.

Why is this? Is it the nature of naval vessels in which a large crew operates the vessel so some consolidation is required for playability? Is there inherently some more squeamishness about the security and classification around how ships and subs are operated? Some combination? Or is it simply that no one has done it yet?
CaptainKoloth is offline   Reply With Quote