Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-10, 03:21 PM   #16
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
That's not a hamburger, that's a bacon cheeseburger, which as we all know is the Nobelist of all culinary creations.
It is made in America and this is what makes America great!
Old 12-08-10, 03:23 PM   #17
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Hmm. Would 13 year olds be able to vote on it?
Nah, they're too busy in school, you know, chillin' and havin' sex with 21 year olds and dreamin' of ongoing world domination. Plus mommy cut off their internet access.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:24 PM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Old 12-08-10, 03:26 PM   #19
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I think we all know what is tops.

Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:28 PM   #20
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I think that any citizen of any nation who is to be worth anything should think of his own country as being the best there is, even if it clearly isn't.

Do i think the United States of America is the best nation on Earth?

When someone asks me that question, i think back to two people.

One is my grandfather.

He gained employment at the age of 15 during the second world war aboard a tanker. This tanker transported oil to the UK and Europe numerous times throughout the later years of the war with him aboard. His job, clean the oil storage tanks aboard the tanker so that other materials could be loaded safely. Fuel Oil, Mineral Oil, AvGas, Water etc etc. For years he would stand in that muck and clean the filth off the walls and floor of the tanks.

From this lowly position, he worked his way up to first mate, and eventually captain of heavy lift ships.

His job now became one of transporting badly needed materials to developing countries. His cargo would grow to included the main elements for the first nuclear reactor in South Korea. At one point he captained a ship so massive that there were only 2 places on earth it could put into port.

In his 40 years at sea, he had been to nearly every nation with a port. Every nation great and small, powerful and meek.

Once while he spoke of his adventures and his time at sea, I recall him saying "We have more opportunity, more individual freedom, more abundance and we do more to help others than any other nation I've personally seen with my own eyes. For all its faults; America truly is the greatest nation on the Earth and I count myself extraordinarily lucky to live there."

There is a problem i have noticed with today's youth.

they have a self loathing attitude. They have this sort of disgust about their nationality. Many of them don't believe America is the best nation on Earth.

maybe its because they have grown up with everything they ever needed being almost instantly attainable? Hungry? drive 5 minutes to the burger joint, or to the grocery store?

but they must be constantly reminded that there are nations out there still today where a young person does not have the slightest idea where the next meal will come from, where the next few scant ounces of fresh water will be found... or whether or not they will survive to see the next day.

The other person i think of is a young orphan from Honduras.

My wife doesnt even know this about my family...

When i was a boy about 8 years old, my father adopted a young child from Honduras to be my brother.

this young man was about my age. he came to live with us. He suffered terribly from malnutrition, scoliosis had warped his spine, he weighed half as much as I did. His family had abandoned him onto the street and his sole possession was a door mat infested with fleas which served as his bed.

When he boarded the plane with my father, he settled in as the plane began to taxi. My father told him he was going to miss the best part, but the young man assured my father that such a great journey at this slow pace would take many days.

his view of the world would never be the same as the airplane streaked into the air off of that runway, i am told his eyes were like saucers.

While in the US, my father saw to it that he received expert medical care. In between his trips to the doctor we would play like young kids will do, blind to our differences.

I remember once, while he was living with us for the first few days we went to the local grocery store. he swore that we were angels and his plane ride was the ascent to heaven... as gathering such an abundance of food in any place but heaven was impossible.

Yeah

America is the greatest nation on the Earth by a country mile.

and any young person in America who doesnt think that needs a good ass kicking.
Old 12-08-10, 03:31 PM   #21
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Of course 13 year olds can!

Only those who are 22+ can't
No no no, 13-29 is okay, but anyone else is out of luck.
Old 12-08-10, 03:35 PM   #22
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Oh how long do you think we got before the FCC will want too shut down this site?
I understand that's on the Teenagist platform right after letting 13 year olds vote and legalizing sex with minors.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:36 PM   #23
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I think that any citizen of any nation who is to be worth anything should think of his own country as being the best there is, even if it clearly isn't.

Do i think the United States of America is the best nation on Earth?

When someone asks me that question, i think back to two people.

One is my grandfather.

He gained employment at the age of 15 during the second world war aboard a tanker. This tanker transported oil to the UK and Europe numerous times throughout the later years of the war with him aboard. His job, clean the oil storage tanks aboard the tanker so that other materials could be loaded safely. Fuel Oil, Mineral Oil, AvGas, Water etc etc. For years he would stand in that muck and clean the filth off the walls and floor of the tanks.

From this lowly position, he worked his way up to first mate, and eventually captain of heavy lift ships.

His job now became one of transporting badly needed materials to developing countries. His cargo would grow to included the main elements for the first nuclear reactor in South Korea. At one point he captained a ship so massive that there were only 2 places on earth it could put into port.

In his 40 years at sea, he had been to nearly every nation with a port. Every nation great and small, powerful and meek.

Once while he spoke of his adventures and his time at sea, I recall him saying "We have more opportunity, more individual freedom, more abundance and we do more to help others than any other nation I've personally seen with my own eyes. For all its faults; America truly is the greatest nation on the Earth and I count myself extraordinarily lucky to live there."

There is a problem i have noticed with today's youth.

they have a self loathing attitude. They have this sort of disgust about their nationality. Many of them don't believe America is the best nation on Earth.

maybe its because they have grown up with everything they ever needed being almost instantly attainable? Hungry? drive 5 minutes to the burger joint, or to the grocery store?

but they must be constantly reminded that there are nations out there still today where a young person does not have the slightest idea where the next meal will come from, where the next few scant ounces of fresh water will be found... or whether or not they will survive to see the next day.

The other person i think of is a young orphan from Honduras.

My wife doesnt even know this about my family...

When i was a boy about 8 years old, my father adopted a young child from Honduras to be my brother.

this young man was about my age. he came to live with us. He suffered terribly from malnutrition, scoliosis had warped his spine, he weighed half as much as I did. His family had abandoned him onto the street and his sole possession was a door mat infested with fleas which served as his bed.

When he boarded the plane with my father, he settled in as the plane began to taxi. My father told him he was going to miss the best part, but the young man assured my father that such a great journey at this slow pace would take many days.

his view of the world would never be the same as the airplane streaked into the air off of that runway, i am told his eyes were like saucers.

While in the US, my father saw to it that he received expert medical care. In between his trips to the doctor we would play like young kids will do, blind to our differences.

I remember once, while he was living with us for the first few days we went to the local grocery store. he swore that we were angels and his plane ride was the ascent to heaven... as gathering such an abundance of food in any place but heaven was impossible.

Yeah

America is the greatest nation on the Earth by a country mile.

and any young person in America who doesnt think that needs a good ass kicking.
Solace's assertion is quite the opposite. Much of this thread is in response to my claim that the United States of America is a setting sun, so to speak. I believe that numerous factors point to this inevitability, but included his stated attitude that school was for 'chillin with your friends' and economic conditions on the short list of reasons. I await your ass kicking.
Old 12-08-10, 03:37 PM   #24
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
the United States of America is a setting sun, so to speak. I believe that numerous factors point to this inevitability
I don't disagree.

I'm just saying that more rests on the shoulders of our youth than they can possibly imagine.
Old 12-08-10, 03:38 PM   #25
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Why are we the best? Simple we got the biggest decks...

yea you head me!

The deck on some of our anphibs are bigger than the ones on some nation's carriers but they are so small we don't even consider them aircraft carriers in our navy.

And its not like we got one big one, we got a bunch of them! We got more than everyone else put together!

^Pictured the entire French and Britsh navy and 1/20 of the US Navy...

Last edited by TLAM Strike; 12-08-10 at 03:40 PM. Reason: /
TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:38 PM   #26
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

That is an amazing post GoldenRivet.

Particularly the Honduran child is a very amazing story. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to the child and how are they today?

On the note of your grandfather, that too is an amazing story, however, and don't take this as an insult to America or your grandfather, but I think his story is more a story of how North American society rewards HARD WORK and PERSEVERANCE with opportunities.

These two abilities our youth of today seem to lack. Perhaps it is, as you mentioned, a lack of difficulty in our young lives that makes us believe everything should be so easy (Indeed, moving out of my parents house and attending University 9 hours away and living by myself has opened my eyes to see how difficult the real world is). But the mindset of the youth and young adults has dramatically changed between 1939-1945 to the present.

Quote:
don't disagree.

I'm just saying that more rests on the shoulders of our youth than they can possibly imagine.
Totally agreed. I think it is the mindset of our youth today (heck I'm self-critisizing myself here too..) that will be the downfall of many great nations that were forged in the 20th Century

Just my two cents..

Krauter
Old 12-08-10, 03:40 PM   #27
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

I salute your post, Golden. That was touching.

I just hope I can do my part as a young American to fix the problems that we're going to be facing. :-\
Old 12-08-10, 03:41 PM   #28
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I don't disagree.

Please don't think I was confronting you. I was just pointing out that Solace wasn't saying that 'America sucks'. He was arguing quite the opposite.

For what it is worth, my heart wants to believe what you wrote, but my brain says that we're in some serious sh!t.
Old 12-08-10, 03:41 PM   #29
Cohaagen
Frogman

Downloads: 43

Only a nation as great as the US can get the world to unite under one flag. It looks just like the American one, but on fire.

Just kidding. Measured by population tonnage, America is clearly the greatest country on Earth.

PS: GoldenRivet, I get emails like that too. You can stop them by clicking "Spam".
Cohaagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:42 PM   #30
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
^Pictured the entire French and Britsh navy and 1/20 of the US Navy...
We won't be going to war with the British or the French. It's not them I am worried about, as they will be our allies, not our enemies.

Tags
usa