SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-09, 09:53 AM   #91
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
Ahmm.. When you switch to the Attack disk and point your mouse outside the disk you can rotate the cam outside the disk right ? However I couldn't find the way to release cam and switch back to SH3 pointer arrow..
Hah, I see. Once upon a time I made it idiot proof by preventing the user from clicking outside the wheel at all, but I later undid that change so that certain dials and buttons could be used while the wheel is open. It could be changed back to "idiot proof" again... or... you could just stop moving the camera while the wheel is open.

Those are the only two options really. SH3 has a hardcoded quirk: after moving a camera and clicking the mouse, the cursor goes back to the centre of the screen (instead of staying where is was when you first clicked). When that happens and there is something clickable at the centre of the screen then you get the bug you just described. I can't stop the cursor from going back to centre, so the only "fix" is to prevent the user from moving the camera whenever something clickable is in the centre of the screen - and in this case that would mean preventing the user from clicking anywhere outside of the attack disk, since some cameras take up the whole screen.
Old 04-15-09, 10:17 AM   #92
Sharkley
Engineer

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Correction it's the Attack disk. It's where TDC is. You can see a tiny little dot at the middle of the TDC panel. Click on it and here it is.
Thank you, I have seen the dot and will click on it tonight..

Many Thanks
Sharkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 02:54 PM   #93
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So it is good if you attack lonely ship. But I wonder how OLC Gold deals with attack on convoy mission Tried it at Naval academy to attack convoy, but in the result - could not manage to hit more than one ship
Old 04-15-09, 03:02 PM   #94
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
So it is good if you attack lonely ship. But I wonder how OLC Gold deals with attack on convoy mission Tried it at Naval academy to attack convoy, but in the result - could not manage to hit more than one ship
A poor workman blames his tools.

http://files.filefront.com/OLCU+Conv.../fileinfo.html
Old 04-15-09, 03:07 PM   #95
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I already got it, I've seen it once, wished it was with comments but I got the idea.. I think.. Will watch it again tomorrow since I'm exhausted already.

Now Contact falls in bed like a stone
Old 04-15-09, 04:58 PM   #96
youpi
Watch

Downloads: 67

Hi, I have just install this great mod and I want to thank you OLC for his work. So now I have some questions and sorry for my poor english.

How can I have the contact of my U-boat in the map is it possible to do ? It's too hard for me without this. And for the other boat is it possible too ? Is it works with contact color mod or other mod like this ?

Two questions about "zoom" in the map, is it normal that the maximum zoom is 2500 Meters on the map when I center the map to my boat ?

For the zoom in the attack periscop I understand that now threre is no zoom but I have a question about the AOB finder. In the older version of this mod when we use zoom in X6 or X1.5 it was not the same marker we need for calculate the AOB . For the X6 it was the 90 ° (on the center) but when we were in X1.5 zoom we need to use the marker next to the 15°. Now there is only one view on the periscop attack, so we use the 90° or the marker next to the 15° for find the AOB ?

Thanks

Last edited by youpi; 04-15-09 at 06:15 PM.
youpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 05:08 PM   #97
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Maybe after your nap you can explain a bit more how you tried it. And what you thought went wrong.

Did you perform the range/AOBfinder-steps again and again for each target? There's no need to. The only things that are different in the shooting process for each ship in the convoy is range, and torpedo depth. Once you have set the AOB for one ship (assuming it is accurate enough), and tdc panel is closed, AOB is synchronised to the persicope bearingchange at all times. So it's only a matter of pointing the scope from now on. Even if you are looking aft. All ships move at the same speed, so that dial can be left alone aswell once set. Only range depends on the position in the rows and columns of the convoy, and ofcourse the time of shooting. But with certain attack setups it's influence can be eliminated or minimised.

Probably the trickiest thing is to get all torpedos to hit at the exact same time. Or the targets that are to be hit a bit later get more time to accellerate/avoid the torpedo, once they realize they are under attack.
Old 04-15-09, 07:10 PM   #98
Sharkley
Engineer

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Correction it's the Attack disk. It's where TDC is. You can see a tiny little dot at the middle of the TDC panel. Click on it and here it is.
I see it, click it, and nothing !?!
Sharkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 01:26 AM   #99
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Maybe after your nap you can explain a bit more how you tried it. And what you thought went wrong.

Did you perform the range/AOBfinder-steps again and again for each target? There's no need to. The only things that are different in the shooting process for each ship in the convoy is range, and torpedo depth. Once you have set the AOB for one ship (assuming it is accurate enough), and tdc panel is closed, AOB is synchronised to the persicope bearingchange at all times. So it's only a matter of pointing the scope from now on. Even if you are looking aft. All ships move at the same speed, so that dial can be left alone aswell once set. Only range depends on the position in the rows and columns of the convoy, and ofcourse the time of shooting. But with certain attack setups it's influence can be eliminated or minimised.

Probably the trickiest thing is to get all torpedos to hit at the exact same time. Or the targets that are to be hit a bit later get more time to accellerate/avoid the torpedo, once they realize they are under attack.
Good morning

Coffee coffee coffee!

So yesterday I tried to attack convoy the way you're said. Did calculations on one ship and started to fire at him and the rest of convoy. So I hit that ship on which I was making calculations but it was the only I hit

Do I need to recalculate range and set for every other ship individually ?

So I rewatched OLCU_Convoy_Attack_March41.avi and noticed that he measures range for every ship he's going to attack and before enterind range data to TDC he unlocks the target on the scope. I was not doing that so I think here is my problem ?

Last edited by Contact; 04-16-09 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 01:29 AM   #100
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkley View Post
I see it, click it, and nothing !?!
Thats odd, you should be able to see it

Have you enabled the manual targeting on realism settings ? If not this might be the problem.
Old 04-16-09, 01:52 AM   #101
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youpi View Post
Hi, I have just install this great mod and I want to thank you OLC for his work. So now I have some questions and sorry for my poor english.

How can I have the contact of my U-boat in the map is it possible to do ? It's too hard for me without this. And for the other boat is it possible too ? Is it works with contact color mod or other mod like this ?

Two questions about "zoom" in the map, is it normal that the maximum zoom is 2500 Meters on the map when I center the map to my boat ?

For the zoom in the attack periscop I understand that now threre is no zoom but I have a question about the AOB finder. In the older version of this mod when we use zoom in X6 or X1.5 it was not the same marker we need for calculate the AOB . For the X6 it was the 90 ° (on the center) but when we were in X1.5 zoom we need to use the marker next to the 15°. Now there is only one view on the periscop attack, so we use the 90° or the marker next to the 15° for find the AOB ?

Thanks
Hi

I remember myself when I first saw OLC GUI... It is really something different then I used to see in SH3 or GWX. The times when I wasn't using manual targetings and saw OLC GUI I thought to myself: "omg this is some sort of rocket science". And how it looks was a huge different in all aspects So I think it was not the right time for me to start using OLC GUI.

When I started to do manuall targetings, I'm now seeing things not so complicated and I feel already comfortable in not seeing ship icons anymore. Even not using the nav or tactic maps while on making attack.

So I guess you need time to bring yourself to upper level before start of using OLC GUI.

This was my story
Old 04-16-09, 03:48 AM   #102
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Hi

I remember myself when I first saw OLC GUI... It is really something different then I used to see in SH3 or GWX. The times when I wasn't using manual targetings and saw OLC GUI I thought to myself: "omg this is some sort of rocket science". And how it looks was a huge different in all aspects So I think it was not the right time for me to start using OLC GUI.

When I started to do manuall targetings, I'm now seeing things not so complicated and I feel already comfortable in not seeing ship icons anymore. Even not using the nav or tactic maps while on making attack.

So I guess you need time to bring yourself to upper level before start of using OLC GUI.

This was my story
Quite right. I wouldn't have been able to handle OLC GUI when I started out. It took me a while to get the hang of stock manual targetting, then when I got involved in the development of the U-Jagd tools I remember joegrundman having to explain the tools to me quite a few times before I got it. Even then it took me a while to get the hang of them, as the tutorial video shows.

I would say most people should get very familiar with normal manual targetting, and the TDC in particular, before they try OLC GUI.

Quote:
Do I need to recalculate range and set for every other ship individually ?

So I rewatched OLCU_Convoy_Attack_March41.avi and noticed that he measures range for every ship he's going to attack and before enterind range data to TDC he unlocks the target on the scope. I was not doing that so I think here is my problem
Yes, you need to recalculate the range for each shot. But if you use the right "tricks" then that's all you need to recalculate.

When the TDC is on Auto the Bearing and AOB are both automatically updated as the scope turns. When the TDC is on manual, neither of them are updated when the scope turns... BUT... when you switch it from manual back to auto it updates the bearing (if the scope has moved) without updating the AOB. So if the scope moves at all while the TDC is on Manual then it will mess up your firing solutions as soon as you switch it back to Auto, and seeing as the scope will get "dragged" around by any locked target that means you must unlock it before switching the TDC to manual (and not move it again until the TDC is back on auto).

This is the stock behaviour of the TDC. It's nothing new. As I said above, you really need to be familiar with the TDC (not just the notepad) before using OLC GUI.
Old 04-16-09, 03:55 AM   #103
youpi
Watch

Downloads: 67

Thanks
Perhaps you'r right but it's just more comfortable with my uboat contact on the map . Manual targetting is not really a problem, I understand how to do this and always use it ( not always with luck and accurate )

And for the AOB finder ? What about the mark, wich mark do I use for find the AOB ? These next to the 15° (because I think the zoom is at X1.5) ? Or we don't care and we don't need to use this mark :rotfl:?
youpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 07:24 AM   #104
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youpi View Post
Thanks
Perhaps you'r right but it's just more comfortable with my uboat contact on the map . Manual targetting is not really a problem, I understand how to do this and always use it ( not always with luck and accurate )

And for the AOB finder ? What about the mark, wich mark do I use for find the AOB ? These next to the 15° (because I think the zoom is at X1.5) ? Or we don't care and we don't need to use this mark :rotfl:?
You don't need to use marker for AOB anymore.

When you calculate the range to target (leave the disks as they are after that) You look at ships mast in recognition manual, find that value on outter disk, click on it and drag it on ships lenght matching recognition manual on the same outter disk. Then while locked on target you count how many graduations there are from the center to the bow or from the bow to center if you find that way easier to see. Just keep in mind every graduation is equal to 2 ================>> 0 |||| 10

Then after counting the graduations the ship takes you're have to look for the same number on middle disk. When found Center disk will tell you what is AOB.

I'm not that good in explaining this so I strongly advice you to watch: OLCGuiSpecial_Tutorial. There is a brief introduction on Range and AOB.
Old 04-16-09, 07:50 AM   #105
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post

Yes, you need to recalculate the range for each shot. But if you use the right "tricks" then that's all you need to recalculate.

When the TDC is on Auto the Bearing and AOB are both automatically updated as the scope turns. When the TDC is on manual, neither of them are updated when the scope turns... BUT... when you switch it from manual back to auto it updates the bearing (if the scope has moved) without updating the AOB. So if the scope moves at all while the TDC is on Manual then it will mess up your firing solutions as soon as you switch it back to Auto, and seeing as the scope will get "dragged" around by any locked target that means you must unlock it before switching the TDC to manual (and not move it again until the TDC is back on auto).

This is the stock behaviour of the TDC. It's nothing new. As I said above, you really need to be familiar with the TDC (not just the notepad) before using OLC GUI.
So in short we can make an important note:

1. Leaving of TDC in manual for longer time than necessary will lead to inacurate calculations.

2. When target is temporarily unlocked and TDC switched to manual. You don't want to move the scope but will have limited period of time to input data to TDC because if the target ship travels fast you can loose him from scope and without moving scope you woun't be able to lock him again right ?

Tags
gold, gui, olc, olce2, ubermod