SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-15, 09:02 PM   #316
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

For those already running W10, these tools may come handy. Be advised I just give the link, I have no experience with these, since I do not have W10.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/05/don...vacy-settings/

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/Disable...cking/releases

Every time I read something about W10, it gets worse. Worse and worse and worse and worse.
Old 10-27-15, 09:16 PM   #317
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I installed Windows 10 way back as a Beta tester and got Herpes.
Danged things fly around the house and mess with all kinds of stuff!

Oops. Harpies! I meant Harpies!
Nasty creatures.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 10-27-15 at 09:54 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 12:42 AM   #318
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

All your harpies gave you herpes while my sirens sweetly singing...gave me migraines

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 07:23 AM   #319
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Are you sure you do not mean dmwappushsvc ?

"wmwappushsvc" I do not find anything on.

dmw... in principle is a constant keylogger apparently, covered by Microsoft'S latest privacy policy declaration that people who installed W8 and W10 automatically had to accept. Else they would not have been able to continue with the installation. The service is said to be unable to be deactivated in Windows services.

A keylogger. Wonderful. The more I hear about W8 and W10, the better it gets. My internet banking will come to an end sooner or later, I think.

If it gets backwardls-installed on W7, anyone please telling the KB-number then.

DTS and dmw... should have registry-entries under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es,

if they are present on your system. That way you can quickly check it out whether you are vulnerable or not.
yes that what I meant sorry
Old 10-28-15, 07:30 AM   #320
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Quote:
For those already running W10, these tools may come handy. Be advised I just give the link, I have no experience with these, since I do not have W10.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/05/don...vacy-settings/

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/Disable...cking/releases

Every time I read something about W10, it gets worse. Worse and worse and worse and worse.
I have used the tool that is described in the fist link and it has disabled a lot of the stuff mentioned here had no problems so far.
Old 10-28-15, 07:38 AM   #321
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Are you sure you do not mean dmwappushsvc ?

"wmwappushsvc" I do not find anything on.

dmw... in principle is a constant keylogger apparently, covered by Microsoft'S latest privacy policy declaration that people who installed W8 and W10 automatically had to accept. Else they would not have been able to continue with the installation. The service is said to be unable to be deactivated in Windows services.

A keylogger. Wonderful. The more I hear about W8 and W10, the better it gets. My internet banking will come to an end sooner or later, I think.

Yeah, imagine when MS gets hacked a la Target, et all. It could be a mess.
Old 10-28-15, 09:41 AM   #322
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
DTS and dmw... should have registry-entries under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es,

if they are present on your system. That way you can quickly check it out whether you are vulnerable or not.
Not found on my Win8.1.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 12:29 PM   #323
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, imagine when MS gets hacked a la Target, et all. It could be a mess.
Not sure whether you are ironic or not, i do not know what you mean. Target...?

I just say: banking apps. Steam. Webshop access codes for Amazon or Ebay. Antisocial media. And when you change the codes for any or all of that: MS - and who knows who else behind them - already learns about it the moment you change these codes and feel safe again.

Just in case you were ironic, here at the latest you better stop it.

I have started to scan for a cheap notebook. I will install a Linux version on it and then use that for banking and shopping only. My tower main system is to be reinstalled and then only used for gaming anymore. Things have become too dangerous and too suspicious. And I have not even spend much attention to the role of government intel and surveillance in all this.

But I need to learn more about Linux first. I am still almost clueless.

----
I know for certain - from an insider - that the BKA ("German FBI"), when being engaged, takes it as a clue that raises suspicion and could even trigger investigation, when somebody does not own a smartphone. Smartphones could be used for movement profiling, and movement profiles can be used to identify people with as great validity than fingerprints these days, it has been demonstrated that it takes only an unbelievably small number or geographic coordinate references to individually identify any human. Also, smartphones can be used to spy on people's bank transactions and communications, obviously. Not owning a smartphone thus now gets rated as a hint that you have something to hide that makes you wanting to avoid detection. Some politicians even want to make the right to own a smartphone even a basic human right. In principle they want to chip people, like cattle, sheep, and pets. In Sweden, some companies already do that with their employees. Naive as the Swedes seem to be on so many issues, they even like they idea. They also want to abandon cash money and force all people to digital money accounts, so that the state can easier steal and plunder and rob from them, and people not being able to defend themselves from this plundering anymore.

A perfectly reasonable, perfectly harmless habit/attitude/wish to not own a smartphone - now is an affirmation for the suspicion that you are guilty in any way, that you have to hide something.

Already several years ago, after 9/11, it got uncovered some time later that for American investigation services, US citizens not having debts and credit cards, were seen as more suspicious possible terror suspects, than citizens who had such debts and credit cards to juggle their debts.

Its getting more and more crazy, and I honestly do not feel like just grinning, and ignoring it with a laugh. Its all not funny anymore. Money, privacy, claims of national security and national freedom - it all gets turned into tools for our suppression. Its frightening. And it becomes worse every quarter of a year.

It is these greater contexts that makes Microsoft's moves so suspicious, dubious, dangerous, and untrustworthy.

I trust nobody anymore, when it is about all these things. Nobody.
Old 10-29-15, 12:16 AM   #324
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

no sir, not being ironic at all

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/22/news...dit-card-hack/
Old 10-29-15, 06:52 AM   #325
Skybird
Soaring

^Oh. New news to me.
Old 10-29-15, 11:55 PM   #326
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Alright, my first hands on with Win10, man, it sure is butt ugly. Am I missing a basic UI setting here? I mean, the windows are all white and beige, the icons look like something from 1987. It's just so simple and crude looking, a big departure from the sleek UI in Win7.

I've installed Classic Shell, that helped a little, got rid of ll those cartoony live tile things.

As for the actual functionality of Win 10, so far, so good, I guess. Nothing that Win XP couldn't do every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 10-30-15, 01:40 AM   #327
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm not sure what you're seeing. My desktop looks much like it always has. Windows 8.1 (or probably 7) fixed one thing that always annoyed me about XP, but it's a minor screen thing.

I agree about XP though. They could have left well enough alone, and just included some improvements. Kind of like SH5.
Old 10-30-15, 08:27 AM   #328
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I'm seeing this. Note the toolbars....about the same color as the window. Very bland.

I tried changing to "High Contrast", man, that was 10X worse

What are you seeing? I know there is probably some setting I am missing....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugly10.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-30-15, 08:29 AM   #329
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Alright, my first hands on with Win10, man, it sure is butt ugly. Am I missing a basic UI setting here? I mean, the windows are all white and beige, the icons look like something from 1987. It's just so simple and crude looking, a big departure from the sleek UI in Win7.

I've installed Classic Shell, that helped a little, got rid of ll those cartoony live tile things.

As for the actual functionality of Win 10, so far, so good, I guess. Nothing that Win XP couldn't do every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Agreed but set up your defaults apps such as email and search engine etc. etc. then get used to the functionality over the next week or so.

I can't say I noticed any major improvements but you get accustomed to it and seeing as it will be the only kid on the block for Microsoft users in a year or so time, the sooner you become assimilated the better.

*hides under rock to avoid incoming*

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 08:36 AM   #330
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This is mine (W7 Style).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows