SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-15, 03:52 PM   #226
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Then you would be one of the very few exceptions out there who do not agree that giving out the key to your house, your bank account numbers, your credit card numbers, all personal communications, even any software you have installed on your machine to a company who says they will use all that as they see fit, store it forever, disperse it to any and all "partners." If the EULA didn't say it I'd be accused of wearing a tin foil hat, but read it and weep. Your computer is theirs to use as they see fit and you no longer own it. Key to my house? No one has broken in. If they did, they do not need a key. Credit card numbers? I have had my bank card compromised. It was done after using it at a restaurant. It left my sight to be swiped for payment of my food. A few days later someone in TX is at a Walmart buying whatever. FDIC covered the loss. Money returned. I now use a secured credit card at restaurants. In essence, they are steeling the banks money if they compromise the card. But again, FDIC covers that as well. Don't much care about the software on my machine. I don't care if they share the info(most companies don't and state so.) And they can say they own my computer and use it as they see fit however I shut it off when not in use. They have no access.

Your information has never been mined like this before unless a court ordered subpeona has been delivered to your door. But what the legal system must jump through hoops designed to protect your privacy for, you wish to just give away? Eveyone has grave harm that can be done to them if their personal information gets in the wrong hands. You have credit scores to trash, bank accounts to drain, work communications that are supposed to be confidential, passwords, you can go on and on. When you install Windows 10 you give Microsoft unlimited access to all of that PLUS the right to disperse the information to whoever they choose without notice to you or permission from you.....talk about unreasonable search and seizure! RR, people have been taking/steeling credit card info since credit cards started. The old carbon copies that ended up in the trash when used back in the 60's-70's. Nothings has changed expect how they get it. And truthfully, what do I have that MS is so hot and heavy to take from my hard drive?

Not seeing danger in that is incomprehensible to me. Criminals need guns and brass knuckles to get some of that info. Microsoft buys you with a "free" operating system. It's so far beyond the pale that people should go to prison for a long time. It's a mugging with a smile and "I've got your back." Again, credit info has been stolen and sold millions of times over long before Windows 10.

No Windows 10 for me. It's as dangerous as walking around with your checkbook in your pocket. As many safe guards as one would like to put into place...if the criminal wants what you have...they will get it. This is what they do for a living. Some are damn good at it.

In today's world one does not have much choice but to be on the internet with your information. You go to the bank. You set up an account. Your information ends up where and how does it get there? Can it be compromised? Yes sir. Deal in cash as much as possible. Pay your bills by check(hope the USPS gets it there on time or does not lose it thus incurring a late fee as a result). Not to mention mail theft and fraud. Pick your poison as it were.
Old 08-28-15, 06:53 PM   #227
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well, for your listening and dancing enjoyment, here's Leo LaPorte, a guy I've followed for fifteen years, middle of the road, noncontroversial guy saying what I'm saying maybe in a form that's better understood. He has a great story about Holland before WWII, very precise people, keeping records on everybody, who trusted their information wouldn't be dangerous in Holland's hands.

Nazi Germany came in, inherited the information and it was very, very easy for them to round up all the Jews because of this harmless information that had been collected for innocent reasons. Information doesn't always stay in the hands of those you trust and it can kill you.

So . He agrees with me that in buying Windows 10 you give Microsoft the right to access your hard drive and take whatever it wants and also thinks this is troubling. He blames it on government. He misses the point that if Microsoft controls your computer and your computer can read your encrypted hard drive then Microsoft can read our encrypted hard drive. They have stripped all right of privacy from us if we install Windows 10.

Sorry. I believe that privacy is a right and that guarding your privacy can be very important in unforeseen ways. And that's the real danger. You can't foresee what information will be important, you can't foresee who will use it and you can't defend yourself because you gave Microsoft permission to examine, record and distribute every byte of your hard drive without notice, without consent, and to whoever, whenever they choose. That's going too far. Many are in jail for less.

They can even record any sounds within the range of your microphone, whether or not you are presently using your microphone. Same with your webcam. The agreement attached to Cortana says that in the clear. No legalese. Just naked admission of intent to do wrong. And we're not supposed to have a problem with that. Remember when the high schooler went to jail for using a girl's webcam and posting naked pics of her on t he Internet? When you buy Windows 10 you give them the right to do that without recourse. What put the high school boy in jail would be a consentual act because you installed Windows 10. You want your daughter to be famous? This might work and you might not like it.

Edit: A biggie I forgot. Windows 10 automatically gives anyone on your e-mail contact list, all your Facebook buddies, and a host of other people automatic right to log onto YOUR wi-fi! So a criminal can befriend you on Facebook or Google +, let it marinate for a year, then use your network for illegal activities for which you will be held responsible. Why? Because you have him the right to use your network and you are presumed to have done so in an informed manner. It's like lending your car to a drug smuggler. If he's stopped your car is seized and becomes the property of the entity who busted the smuggler. Your wi-fi is like that and with Windows 10 you give up the right to control the use of your own property.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-28-15 at 07:19 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:27 PM   #228
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ok, how do you know all this? I am looking through the webs, I would like to read some substantiated sources that Windows 10 can automatically gives anyone on your e-mail contact list, all your Facebook buddies, and a host of other people automatic right to log onto YOUR wi-fi as well as access data on the HD? I see that there are things to consider, but they don't sound as excessive as you make them out to be,

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/digg...vacy-settings/
Old 08-29-15, 03:17 AM   #229
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Couple of friends who upgraded to Win10 are now cheesed off as both of them can't get the menu to work after getting a update.

Just another reason why I'm holding off for now.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 03:23 PM   #230
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Well, for your listening and dancing enjoyment, here's Leo LaPorte, a guy I've followed for fifteen years, middle of the road, noncontroversial guy saying what I'm saying maybe in a form that's better understood. He has a great story about Holland before WWII, very precise people, keeping records on everybody, who trusted their information wouldn't be dangerous in Holland's hands.

Nazi Germany came in, inherited the information and it was very, very easy for them to round up all the Jews because of this harmless information that had been collected for innocent reasons. Information doesn't always stay in the hands of those you trust and it can kill you.

So . He agrees with me that in buying Windows 10 you give Microsoft the right to access your hard drive and take whatever it wants and also thinks this is troubling. He blames it on government. He misses the point that if Microsoft controls your computer and your computer can read your encrypted hard drive then Microsoft can read our encrypted hard drive. They have stripped all right of privacy from us if we install Windows 10.

Sorry. I believe that privacy is a right and that guarding your privacy can be very important in unforeseen ways. And that's the real danger. You can't foresee what information will be important, you can't foresee who will use it and you can't defend yourself because you gave Microsoft permission to examine, record and distribute every byte of your hard drive without notice, without consent, and to whoever, whenever they choose. That's going too far. Many are in jail for less.

They can even record any sounds within the range of your microphone, whether or not you are presently using your microphone. Same with your webcam. The agreement attached to Cortana says that in the clear. No legalese. Just naked admission of intent to do wrong. And we're not supposed to have a problem with that. Remember when the high schooler went to jail for using a girl's webcam and posting naked pics of her on t he Internet? When you buy Windows 10 you give them the right to do that without recourse. What put the high school boy in jail would be a consentual act because you installed Windows 10. You want your daughter to be famous? This might work and you might not like it.

Edit: A biggie I forgot. Windows 10 automatically gives anyone on your e-mail contact list, all your Facebook buddies, and a host of other people automatic right to log onto YOUR wi-fi! So a criminal can befriend you on Facebook or Google +, let it marinate for a year, then use your network for illegal activities for which you will be held responsible. Why? Because you have him the right to use your network and you are presumed to have done so in an informed manner. It's like lending your car to a drug smuggler. If he's stopped your car is seized and becomes the property of the entity who busted the smuggler. Your wi-fi is like that and with Windows 10 you give up the right to control the use of your own property.
Well then I guess Hillary Clinton should not migrate to Windows 10. But her hard drive has been subpoenaed and her daughters hard drive mysteriously was reformatted during her postpartum.

I can assure you Windows 10 is not giving out POTUS email addresses and has little interest in his FB buddies.

Further, the US government uses Windows almost exclusively. Do you mean to tell me when the government migrates to 10 all that goes on with each and every program the government uses is now at MS disposal?

Yes, I'm aware of the webcam ordeal. Some lower level hackers getting access. Put a piece of tape over the camera lense. But again, this happened before 10 was introduced.

This is nowhere remotely close to giving my vehicle to a drug smuggler.

And to what end with all the cloak and dagger of Windows 10? What grand conspiracy? What master plan are we talking here? Of what use does Bill Gates or anyone at MS have with my info?
Old 08-29-15, 03:28 PM   #231
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Couple of friends who upgraded to Win10 are now cheesed off as both of them can't get the menu to work after getting a update.

Just another reason why I'm holding off for now.
Nothing wrong with waiting until the program is polished.
Old 08-30-15, 01:03 AM   #232
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, so far so good.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 04:04 AM   #233
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15 Confusers?...

So I asked Cortana; "Are you stupid?"
The reply was; " One of us needs to take a break and one of us has no lungs"

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 12:43 PM   #234
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post

She was right.
Old 08-31-15, 01:15 PM   #235
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post

I dare not respond

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 08:41 AM   #236
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I was flicking though a Win10 book at the bookshop today and to me its looks like 90% is same old stuff glossed up or tweaked with 10% new stuff, is that the case?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 03:26 PM   #237
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Basically, yes. There are very few learning curve obstacles (unless you are upgrading from, say, XP or earlier) and the installations I have done so far are running very well. All in all, no major complaints...

As for the privacy, complaints, are we to assume those who are the most vocal have no operating systems on their computers or devices, they have no wireless, they have no applications installed, they have no email accounts, no social networking, and no browsers? Any and/or all of the above, and some other apps, will render the tightest of security "loose" and any combination of the above will exponentially increase the "looseness". The only solution is to keep any data or content you don't want "them" to see on a device not hooked up to the internet in any way. Sort of becoming a technological hermit...

<O>
Old 09-09-15, 02:12 AM   #238
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Regarding Neal's question "where do you read all this" when it comes to MS's "intrusions", it is first stated during installation and then of course it is all in the EULA, you know this tiny, easily understandable scrap of (virtual) paper you have to agree to.
Not that anyone ever reads that ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 02:37 AM   #239
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

bullhorn

While we know what can be observed already on a server adminstration level within domains, don't you think there are much more built-in backdoors.. known, and made intentionally accessible for the NSA et al. ..

While this all may be fine for the average user (even if he is silently stripped of his guaranteed rights already within the US), how and why you would be using an OS like Windows by any other than the US government worldwide, is beyond me.

Regarding Internet, this has its own backdoors, after all it was a military network (DARPA etc.), then opened for the public...

If we want to be sure we need an own OS, and an own online communications net. This will also be compromised sooner or late, but it would at least not be THAT easy.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 03:19 AM   #240
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Data mining aside I can't wait for Win 10 to finally fix the DTS connect/Dolby digital Live issue over coax and toslink, it is really annoying I can't enjoy 5.1 audio over a digital connection. This issue was brought up early in spring this year and wasn't taken care of before launch. There is hope that the fix will find it's way into the next insider build though.
Still I am baffled that something brought up more than half a year ago was not corrected before launching the product.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows