SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-09, 06:41 PM   #1
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4
Default Who Broke The Deck Gun?!

I have noticed on many occasions that my deck gun seems to have it's aim a bit off. Usually this is just a little bit off on the horizontal axis, though it can at times be so bad that the targeting reticule does not even cover the actual location the shell will hit. Rather than fire at the point to which my targeting HUD is pointing, it fires at a spot up to 800m offset. This doesn't apply when firing without zooming. It also appears to change quite a bit between shots at times and when rotating the gun.

Can someone clue me in as to what causes this in game and how to fix it? Several searches turned up little useful information.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 11:20 PM   #2
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Are you using GWX?

If so are you using any other mods placed on top of GWX?

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 12:05 AM   #3
Mopy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 4

This happens to me as well. Stock GWX3, no other mods. I asked a few months back and got no replies. I remember it happening in stock SH3 though, so maybe it's leftover from that.

It's fine at the start of a mission, but the more I use it, the more it skews and skews left/right to the point where my shots aren't even hitting at 700m at the first zoom level. It seems to get worse the more I use the gun within that mission. I have a feeling it may be to do with when the gun gets 'stuck' while you're rotating.

Either way, my solution is just to use it until it breaks, then fire without the zoom. Not useful for long range, but still.
Mopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 12:18 AM   #4
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

I find the same solution, which sucks. I am running GWX, and I have plenty of other mods installed. However, this happened with just GWX installed, vanilla SH3 and WSM, which has other guns/ships entirely. I have noticed that it seems to be lessened by rotating the gun directly over the bow and gets worse sometimes if the gun is rotated fully port or starboard. Therefore I think it might be an issue with a setting somewhere for adjusting the zoomed angle vs the actual rotation of the gun.

Any suggestions along that route perhaps?
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 02:38 AM   #5
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Okay guys. Some Silent Hunter history for you both.

With un-modded/stock SH3... ALL deck guns and ship-mounted guns were what we used to refer to as "laser-guided." (as were the depth charges)

NONE of the above weapons should strike their target with pinpoint accuracy with each firing as they did more often than not.

ALL GUNS IN GWX (both player-operated and AI-operated) have had the "laser guidance" INTENTIONALLY REMOVED... in both the horizontal and vertical (deflection and azimuth) axis'.

Furthermore, even with this arrangement, they are far more accurate than they should be when directly manned by the player. You should let your crew do the shooting with both deck guns and AA to achieve an effect which is closer to what it was in reality.

Also, the state of the environment will influence the accuracy of said fires. (sea state etc.)

Accuracy DOES NOT cumulatively degrade as you continue to fire. There is a minimum and maximum margin in the code.

These matters along with depth charge accuracy and sensor modifications were among the most rigorously tested during development of GWX.

Some rounds will hit and some rounds will miss. The best way to increase accuracy is to GET CLOSER TO YOUR TARGET before opening fire.

If you feel that perfect accuracy "sucks"... then good. All it means is that I did my job well.

Deck guns on U-boats were never intended to be a primary armament as it is. They were meant to finish off wounded prey.

Solution: Hold fire until you are within 1000 meters of the target. Shooting at a speck on the horizon doesn't work anymore and will only cause you to waste ammo.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 03:26 AM   #6
Lt.Fillipidis
Weps

Downloads: 42

Actually this isnt quite what Cmdr Gizmo said.
I experienced the same thing too.
Sometimes the shell goes WAY over to the left/right from where we aimed.
And after that, the same. Again and again and again until i zoom out.
One thing i noticed though is that when this happens, the deck gun barrel seems to lean inner or outer of the center of the aiming lens.
As far as i know, the barrel and the lens were fixed so increasing or decreasing the angle between them isnt right.
Lt.Fillipidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 06:19 AM   #7
Mopy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
things

I'm not criticising the job you did with anything - it's a stock issue, not a GWX specific problem, and it's very different from what you describe.
Mopy is offline   Reply With Quote