SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-10, 07:33 PM   #226
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
Melnibonian, did you have to edit/delete something when you were combining these 3 mods:

GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V5
Extras for the Wilhelmshaven campaign v2.4c
IBL Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2

I can make the MFM3.2 work on it's own, but when I try to make it work with GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6 I get CTD..

Here's my computer specification:

Pentium Dual CPU E2200 (2.2 GHz)
3 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
Win XP SP2
Since you are running 32 bit operating system like me you'll just have to wait till you get a 64 bit system to be able to run all the latest mods together, Melnibonian like many are running 64 bit and have no memory issues.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 09:51 PM   #227
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Since you are running 32 bit operating system like me you'll just have to wait till you get a 64 bit system to be able to run all the latest mods together, Melnibonian like many are running 64 bit and have no memory issues.
Is that what it's turning out to be? Then my upgrade to 4 GB of RAM isn't going to help in this case? Too bad for me if it's so, because I'm unlikely to have a whole new computer any time in the foreseeable future. My current setup runs SH4 just fine.

'S okay. I'll keep working on names for 'em anyway.
Old 06-30-10, 10:08 PM   #228
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

With XP + SP3 expanding memory to 4gb will only ever use 3gb, and editing the boot.ini and patching the sh3.exe file will help run SH3 with a couple of extra mods but causes problems with other windows applications (programs and games), I tried it and not worth all the messing around IMO!

Old 07-01-10, 04:29 AM   #229
=FI=Ghost
Gunner

Downloads: 93

Thank you very much Reece for this clarification!

=FI=Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 05:19 AM   #230
roadhogg
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Don't worry Sailor Steve, my system is 32 bit and won't run even the Interim version, which i thought a bit strange considering it ran the Community Units mod ok . . . . until i counted the boats in each mod.

Community units had about 35, and the (slimmed down ) Interim-Beta has 88 i think.
I really must start saving for a new system .

Shouldn't stop you picking your favourites and adding them manually.

You won't get all of them, but you should get some ( fingers crossed ).
Old 07-01-10, 08:53 AM   #231
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Quote:
With XP + SP3 expanding memory to 4gb will only ever use 3gb, and editing the boot.ini and patching the sh3.exe file will help run SH3 with a couple of extra mods but causes problems with other windows applications (programs and games), I tried it and not worth all the messing around IMO!
Your quite right Reece...since the recent introduction of a few large sized mods, when enabled in addition to a multitude of earlier smaller mods it now looks like SH3 has reached the limit of its capabilities on 32 bit systems.

Players are now faced with one of two choices:

1. Prioritise what mods are most important and continue playing with your preffered but slightly limited choice on the 32 bit system.

2. Upgrade to 64 bit system and continue as before.

Hobsons choice I suspect because many will not be able to upgrade for a variety of reasons.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 11:11 AM   #232
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Actually I am runnig on Windows 7 32bit, but I am using the 4GB patch and I do have 4GB of RAM in the system.

I agree that runnig a 64bit version is better but my opinion is that anyone with a 32bit system using the 4GB patch and having a lot of RAM should be able to run the mod.

I think you're actually better of if you use Windows 7 instead of XP. That can be the crusial factor here and not the 32 or 64bits. Windows 7 have far better memory allocation and optimisation, so I think this is where the solution lies.
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 01:27 PM   #233
roadhogg
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I may be wrong (not uncommon) but i thought the maximum recognised by 32 bit XP was 3GB.
In my case i only have 3 memory slots anyway and they're all full.
If windows 7 uses memory more efficiently or requires less to run itself, ( and i did hear a rumour about the latter) then together with the ability to recognise an extra gig of memory, what you say makes sense melbonian.
Much cheaper to buy Windows 7 than a new PC.
Old 07-01-10, 02:29 PM   #234
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogg View Post
Much cheaper to buy Windows 7 than a new PC.
My point exactly. I am a big fan of XP and I think they were probably the best Windows version I've ever used (and I have used them all starting from MS DOS 3) but Windows 7 are very good and very stable. Therefore if the PC can cope with the new operating system I can't really see the reason why anyone will continue running the XP version.

It runs SH3/GWX with IBL's Mod without problems as an extra bonus
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 02:47 PM   #235
roadhogg
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sorry melbonian, i do unfortunately suffer from the eternal problem of not having the patience to troll.
Please forgive me for (re) stating the obvious

And Reece had already pointed out that XP only recognises 3GB too, though it seems that editing the boot.ini and patching the Sh3.exe might squeeze a bit more from the system.

There's no hope for me i'm afraid
Old 07-01-10, 07:40 PM   #236
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

The biggest reason I haven't upgraded my operating system is money! I will not be satisfied with anything but Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and even the OEM package is not cheap! But it shouldn't be too long, though I have heard by others here that 4gb is not enough for 64 bit, you have to upgrade to 8gb, if this is true then that's even more money! but I'm patient!

Old 07-01-10, 08:57 PM   #237
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Four GB is as much as my old PC can hold, and a new one is out of the question for anytime in the foreseeable future. I guess I'll have to wing it and experiment some more.
Old 07-01-10, 08:58 PM   #238
pickinthebanjo
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 282

Quote:
I will not be satisfied with anything but Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
why 7 professional, you know Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64BIT is only around $40 more right?

SH3 Deeper Torpedo Launch / Realistic Crush Depth Mod Here -
http://www.filefront.com/user/pickinthebanjo
pickinthebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 11:12 PM   #239
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinthebanjo View Post
why 7 professional, you know Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64BIT is only around $40 more right?
That's right, $40 more and basically all you get is more security stuff, I will keep using Comodo, Avira, and Ad-Aware, haven't had a Virus for a very long time.

Old 07-02-10, 02:37 AM   #240
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
The biggest reason I haven't upgraded my operating system is money! I will not be satisfied with anything but Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and even the OEM package is not cheap! But it shouldn't be too long, though I have heard by others here that 4gb is not enough for 64 bit, you have to upgrade to 8gb, if this is true then that's even more money! but I'm patient!
I have 4gb with 64 bit Pro, I've yet to see it maxed but I guess it depends on what you've got running!