SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-18, 07:13 PM   #1231
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 11:47 AM   #1232
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

SOMEONE(Claudia Rosett )AGREES WITH ME!! IN TOTAL FOR W/O WSJ ACCESS:
Quote:
The summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un seems to be on again, with a flurry of preparatory meetings. Mr. Trump tweeted Sunday: “I truly believe North Korea has brilliant potential and will be a great economic and financial Nation one day. Kim Jong Un agrees with me on this.” But even to have any chance of defanging the North Korean nuclear menace, there’s one huge concession Mr. Trump must demand from the regime: that Mr. Kim abandon his totalitarian control over North Korea.
This totalitarianism isn’t solely a problem for human rights. North Korea is both the world’s most repressive tyranny and the only country known to have illicitly tested nuclear weapons in this millennium. These dual distinctions are no coincidence: The regime’s extreme control and strict secrecy enable both. There are no checks on Pyongyang’s official lies. Dissent is simply snuffed out.
The remedy should begin with Mr. Kim releasing the inmates from his political prison camps, in order to shut down the gulag forever. A good place to start would be the hellhole known as Camp 16, with an estimated 20,000 inmates. The camp sits less than 2 miles from the Punggye-ri underground nuclear test site, where, according to reports cited by the State Department, prisoners may have been forced to work as construction crews.

North Korea hosted a select group of foreign reporters last Thursday to witness the demolition of access tunnels at that test site. But the event was a Potemkin show: After a half-dozen nuclear explosions from 2006-17, the site was quite likely well past its functional life-span. If Mr. Kim frees the inmates from prisons like Camp 16, they could tell the world what they know about how North Korea’s nuclear sites operate.
In place of real news, Mr. Kim’s regime “guides” the North Korean people through state propaganda organs, reinforced by surveillance units. State media wield a monopoly over public discourse, and describe the regime in such terms as “a flower garden for the people full of respect and love.” Political repression is enforced by a massive security apparatus, with layers of surveillance that pervade every level of society—from the military to schools, farms, factories and families.
This repression of political discourse shapes North Korea’s approach to nuclear negotiations. When American leaders strike an agreement, they submit themselves to huge domestic pressures to justify and honor their words. Pyongyang faces no such constraint. Operating in secret and free from public pressure, Mr. Kim can promise what he likes, renege whenever he wants, renegotiate terms after the fact, and obliterate any North Koreans who dare to disagree. This is why every previous agreement has failed, including nuclear deals in 1992, 1994, 2005 and 2007, and a missile deal in 2012.
Because the regime serves only its own interests rather than those of the public, the U.S. gains no leverage by promising to improve North Koreans’ lives. Meanwhile, retaining nuclear weapons allows Mr. Kim outsize importance and leverage in world affairs. As long as Mr. Kim faces no domestic pressure to exchange nuclear weapons for permanent concessions, his incentive will be to milk, manage and cheat the negotiation process rather than strike any genuine long-term deal.
North Korea’s longtime nuclear envoy, Kim Kye Gwan, is a veteran deceiver of U.S. diplomats. He responded to President Trump’s scrapping of the June 12 summit with the statement that North Korea is still willing to “sit down face-to-face with the U.S. and resolve issues anytime and in any format.”
If the summit goes on, Mr. Trump should open the negotiation with the demand that Mr. Kim renounce his totalitarian advantage. The regime must be compelled to open up the country by dismantling the internal surveillance apparatus verifiably and irreversibly, as well as by normalizing travel. Without those steps, no denuclearization offer Mr. Kim might bring to the bargaining table could be credible.
Granting these freedoms to North Koreans would likely lead to Mr. Kim’s eventual downfall. Ending the system of surveillance would effectively amount to regime change, which tyrants tend not to survive. But if Mr. Kim won’t take that risk, it would be folly to gamble with North Korea on another nuclear deal. The only real solution to North Korea’s nuclear threat is an end to Pyongyang’s totalitarian system, which must be the bottom-line mission for the U.S. The only choice worth offering Mr. Kim is whether he will end it himself, or wait for U.S. forces to find a way to do it for him.
Ms. Rosett is a foreign policy fellow at the Independent Women’s Forum.
Appeared in the June 1, 2018, print edition
ANY DISCUSSION 'TWIXT TRUMP AND KIM-MEGLOMANIACS BOTH- SERVES ONLY FATBOY'S CHINA-DIRECTED SPEARTIP AGENDA; NOT THE WEST'S.... BEST TO KEEP OUR FINGER ON THE NUKE BUTTON AND TIGHTEN THE SANCTIONS!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-01-18 at 11:58 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 11:56 AM   #1233
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Rockstar and vinnea

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 01:28 PM   #1234
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

In an article in a Swedish Online news paper(aftonbladet.se) some days ago

It was said that both Trump and KJU was afraid to lose face in this upcoming meeting.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 01:49 PM   #1235
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Of course, there is a lot of prestige in this.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 02:54 PM   #1236
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Of course, there is a lot of prestige in this.
No doubt.

The question would then be

Who will lose most if this happens is it:

Trump ?
Or
KJU ?

I could with the little knowledge I have say

Trump is the one who would lose most if he lose face in this meeting.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 04:13 PM   #1237
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_the_Year
Quote:
Person of the Year or Man of the Year is an award given to an individual by any type of organization. Most often, it is given by a newspaper or other news outlet to annually recognize a public person.

The award can be facetious or serious. The chosen person is usually someone who has been notably influential or prominent during the year and could also be a hero or villain.
Both President Trump and Kim Joug-un could win the person of the year award ...

The Nobel peace prize could be awarded to Kim Jung-uh and give him a reason to keep the peace too ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

Quote:
As of 2013, the prize was worth 10 million SEK (about US$1.5 million).
Fat boy Kim could sure use that, uh?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 04:58 PM   #1238
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Rockstar and vinnea

...I'm the good-looking one on the right...

<O>
Old 06-01-18, 05:00 PM   #1239
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_the_Year

Both President Trump and Kim Joug-un could win the person of the year award ...

The Nobel peace prize could be awarded to Kim Jung-uh and give him a reason to keep the peace too ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

Fat boy Kim could sure use that, uh?

Neither one will win the prize in this year; they'll have to wait until next year, at the earliest...

...So. Burger-Butt Trump is SOL this year...

<O>
Old 06-01-18, 09:43 PM   #1240
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
...I'm the good-looking one on the right...

<O>

Thats the female.

The masculine looking fellow on the left is me.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 01:39 AM   #1241
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

They both have antlers therefore males, now you have me worried!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 04:11 AM   #1242
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
They both have antlers therefore males, now you have me worried!!

Well, he's just having problems with sexual identity...you know...he's kinda confused and still searching...

...and I hear tell, around the watering hole, there's a rumour going around the hinds he's got "small hooves"...

<O>
Old 06-02-18, 07:27 AM   #1243
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Trump receives his big letter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...y-large-letter

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 08:42 AM   #1244
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Trump is as much meeting Kim to talk about denuclearization as Nixon went to China to tell them they have to give up nukes. Nixon went to China to recongise China as a nculear power, normalising relations that way, and Trump will do the same with NKorea, dressing it in different words only. Kim will NEVER give up his nukes, they are his trump card. A line that already was decided on by his grandfather, and which he continues': to build the military AND the economy. Kim sees NK on same ey elevel with the US, and wants to normalise relations in the shadow of his hukes in order to grow his economy.

https://translate.google.de/translat...abweichen.html

Denuclearization? A new case of epidemic outbreak of chamberlainitis major in Asia?
Old 06-02-18, 08:57 AM   #1245
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea, north korea