SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-09, 01:50 PM   #121
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 207
Uploads: 0

Do you know which TGA is responsible for colour of periscope scale or that green line ?
PL_Cmd_Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 03:42 PM   #122
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

It's Hard Coded. But modders have been kind enough to include hystorical accurate lines in the Periscope.tga (and the corresponding file for the obs periscope). You can see them on the alpha map.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 12:34 PM   #123
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

Thanks for the advise. I've just changed it, but results was not so good as I expect.

The problem is, that when I change the colour of the scale from black to grey I see that scale also when the periscope is down. It looks ugly. Is it possible to change it only during night, like for examle simulation of light on the scope.
Old 07-09-09, 09:02 AM   #124
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default Here they are.

My bad there, I actually think I've said it a few times, and not only about OLC's file. I found it the hard way while editing the Periscope.tga when I said "wait a sec, the extra markings in the AOB dial in OLC don't line up... hmmm, let's change Mikhayl's marks". Of course, this morning I had to change them back.

DISREGARD COMMENT, CHECK NEW VERSION BELLOW.

Well, here they are. Mind you, these are only modified images. I could've just added a new filter to the menu.ini but unfortunately the game has an issue with masks (probably from the high resolution mod). The mask contours are about 1 pixel bigger than the color image. This either gives horrible black contours on any light text on the periscope or a less horrible bright contour around the periscope edges, only visible in total darkness. Well, I opted for the second.
- I've used a green filter (and green marks) for the attack periscope and a yellow filter (and markings) for the observation scope. The marks are now thicker (because of the above issue) so you'll be able to see them at night (with improved visibility overall too). Of course, the Obs scope is much brighter than the other one.
- I've included the UZO markings from OLC's latest gui.
- I have remade the Ujagd markings on the AOB tool so that they line up with the scope markings. The design is taken from OLC's gui. If you don't want it back, just open menu\olc\AOBFOuterDisc.tga in gimp and fill the alpha marks with black.
- In case you haven't noticed, I've tweaked all of the buttons and panels to give them a more dirty and metal look, with a touch of shadow and light .

Since the alpha maps were redone and are now crisp as snow, you can change the colors of the filters/marks by a simple bucket fill with the color you want. To decrease the transparency of the filter, select the round part in the alpha map and play around with the levels (just make sure that white stays white).

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-23-09 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 03:02 PM   #125
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

Thank you Kara. I've just uploaded that file and tested it. It looks really nice and a scale is visible during the night. The filters (masks) are workimg very good.

I have some remarks:

1) I do not know wich version periscope.dat, you modified but it is different than ACM's one. In your version there is no place for ship name after identification so it appears on meters.

2) In my opinion crosslines (only) are too thick. It is possible to make them thinner?
Old 07-09-09, 04:02 PM   #126
karamazovnew
The Old Man

1) The ship's name appears over the SIEMENS letters. I never identify ships because I find no need. But it's still there.
2) Of course I can, but as I said, there's a problem with how the game uses the tga's. Mikhayl's originals don't have center lines but instead rely on the hardcoded lines. When I used 1 pixel for the lines, the old hard coded center lines were still a bit visible (about half a pixel) and they changed color during night/day. Since the side marks were already 2 pixels thick for visibility I had no choice but to cover up the center with 2 pixel lines too. Believe me, 1 pixel lines looked weird because they had a very visible light contour. Anyway all of the lines are made so that you need to bracket what you want to measure. So don't put the center line ON the ship but UNDER it. When you read a mark, read "under" it, not over. So, if you think that a ship is a bit more than, say, 8 marks, then it's clearly 8.5 marks. If it's clearly between marks, then it's 9 marks and so on. Actually, when a ship bobs around in the water, it helps to have thick lines because you're not tepmted to input weird nubers like 9.2 degrees. I don't even use the stability option and now I can nail the height almost perfectly even in rough seas. I've played like this for more than 3 months and have yet to miss a shot beyond 4000m away :P Come to think of it, the first thing I ever changed on those tga's was to make the marks thicker )
Old 07-09-09, 04:18 PM   #127
PL_Cmd_Jacek
Machinist's Mate

OK, I understand. Thank you for help. Good luck. I will get used to that soon.
Old 07-22-09, 07:13 PM   #128
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default New Version

I'm pleased to announce that I've finally finished a new version of the ACM filter mod. I'll post a new link tomorrow and update the info (too tired ). Here's the new features:
- filters and marks(lines) for attack and observation periscope are now separate files so you can change the colors and transparency in just a few seconds. The AP marks are back to 1 pixel in width. Obs Scope still has 2 pixel thick marks.
- new texture for the metal background for all scopes and attack map (I mean, big TDC).
- new Line helper tool for easier plotting (with marks for SSW,NE,NNW, etc.)
- Binoculars now have a small mark in the center of the screen, for easy targeting. Under that mark you'll find the bearings again (in 10 degree intervals). I really missed them.
- Cleaner map, without coffee stains and paper folds.
- Updated some values in the mini recognition pages (for TMT users).
Old 07-23-09, 02:45 AM   #129
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
- filters and marks(lines) for attack and observation periscope are now separate files so you can change the colors and transparency in just a few seconds.
well done Karamazovnew !
i have a question here ( i think i know the answer but i hope to be ...wrong) .the player can change them....in-game ??
bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 05:45 AM   #130
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Well, my knowledge of how the menu_1024_768.ini files is a bit limited but in SH3 and in SH4, there are only a few items that are hardcoded by ItemID to show/hide things. For example, pressing the RANGE line on the notepad actually makes the stadimeter group visible. Pressing the "check" button hides it again. The modder can't make new items like these, but he can reuse them. OLC did that, and Mikhayl went a few steps forward. There are at least 3 pairs of show/hide items for the Obs, Attack Peri and UZO. If there's any one of these that hasn't been used, I could put in a small button to show/hide the filters. Or make a small switch to change the color of the lines at will. But the menu file is so messed up right now, that I can't figure out if it's possible. On the bright side positioning items is a piece of cake compared to SH4.
Old 07-23-09, 05:58 AM   #131
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Well, my knowledge of how the menu_1024_768.ini files is a bit limited but in SH3 and in SH4, there are only a few items that are hardcoded by ItemID to show/hide things. For example, pressing the RANGE line on the notepad actually makes the stadimeter group visible. Pressing the "check" button hides it again. The modder can't make new items like these, but he can reuse them. OLC did that, and Mikhayl went a few steps forward. There are at least 3 pairs of show/hide items for the Obs, Attack Peri and UZO. If there's any one of these that hasn't been used, I could put in a small button to show/hide the filters. Or make a small switch to change the color of the lines at will. But the menu file is so messed up right now, that I can't figure out if it's possible. On the bright side positioning items is a piece of cake compared to SH4.
very nice idea Karamazovnew,
the 'speed' and 'aob' buttons of notepad i think haven't been used (better OLC ...confirm this)(i didn't mentioned the 'range' button becuase i used it in my optics mod for the stadimeter).if so ,maybe is possible

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 07:03 AM   #132
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Comment moved further down because of update.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 07-24-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 07:08 AM   #133
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
the 'speed' and 'aob' buttons of notepad i think haven't been used (better OLC ...confirm this)(i didn't mentioned the 'range' button becuase i used it in my optics mod for the stadimeter).if so ,maybe is possible
I'll look into it. Thank god I made the marks and filters separate files. If I can rewire the menu groups, it will be a piece of cake. Please note that I will only be able to do 1 filter per scope tho. It might be possible to make bmp arrays for a sort of weeeird switch for multiple filters. But that's beyond me.
Old 07-23-09, 08:52 AM   #134
Lopo
Lieutenant

Downloads: 477
Default Thank you for ACM filters!

Thank you again for this improvement to our gaming experience.
I wanted also to ask you for a little problem as you can see on the screens here.
Perhaps the fix has already been released in the thread ( just didn't see it) but how can I fix the thin line right in the middle of the scopes?

I have:
GWX3
OLC MKII
ACM 1.1.0
ACM filters

Thank in advance for helping

Cheers

Lopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 09:52 AM   #135
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Did you have that problem without my filter mod? Hmm, that looks like a viewport missalign in the camera.dat file. Are you sure you're using Mikhayl's original file? Here's my camera file, place it in the Data\Library folder. But I've changed a few of the zoom levels in some interior 3d views. Also the binocular zoom level is 10x. Tell me if this solves the problem.

http://www.filefront.com/14105673/Cameras.dat