SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-09, 03:21 PM   #76
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Hi Mikhayl,

I've been using your mod since my last post (above), and really like the TDC screen on F6, but one thing I miss are the coloured lines in the attack scope when using the drop-down aiming wheel to obtain mast height and AOB etc.

Is there a way a getting that view back?

I don't want to lose other features like the darkening map (always liked that), or the new TDC screen - but I do miss the coloured lines...

As Lanzfeld asked, is it possible to merge the F6 TDC screen into the OLC Ubermod/GUI if that's the best solution? :hmm:

Thanks mate !

Cheers!

Px3000
Old 01-23-09, 04:07 PM   #77
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

No worries Mikhayl,

I guess what I am asking for is your GUI but OLC's "proper waves in scopes/UZO/Bincos view".

You know...the fixed zoom?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 04:26 PM   #78
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld
No worries Mikhayl,

I guess what I am asking for is your GUI but OLC's "proper waves in scopes/UZO/Bincos view".

You know...the fixed zoom?
If Mikhayl has not modified the Range/AOB Finder then you can just drop the cameras.dat file from OLC GUI Special into Mikhayl's GUI and that should do the trick.

Edit:
Actually, looking at Mikhayl's screenshots, using my cameras.dat might cause the OBS scope to go a bit screwy. You might have to edit cameras.dat yourself to get it right.
Old 02-17-09, 10:53 AM   #79
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Mikahl,

A quick question...some of the lads over at WolvesAtWar are asking about this mod, so a couple of quick questions:

1. Is it all working well ?

2. Is it compatible with NYGM ?

Muchos thankos in advancos,

Cheers, Hans.
Old 02-17-09, 11:18 AM   #80
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Thnx for the great UI its the best setup i used so far.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 12:42 PM   #81
Nedlam
Ensign

Downloads: 48

Great combimod, Mikhal. Thanks for doing the grunt work to combined these great mods.

**edited again** I re read the thread and found the answer for my chronograph question... to bad.

This might be an intended feature but the the dial to choose what tubes to use to set a salvo of torpedoes is blank and I couldn't seem to find the setting for firing all 4 tubes at once. It get's a little confusing.

Whereabouts can I make it so all my torpedoes are 'stuck' on magnetic setting? It appears you're mode re-enables the impact / magnetic switch for NYGM.

@ Uber Gruber:
I'm one of the lads over at W@W. (Thomsen) << [i]Not the Thomsen just the W@W version.

Last edited by Nedlam; 02-18-09 at 08:41 AM.
Nedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 08:05 AM   #82
java`s revenge
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 97

Great combimod !!
Old 02-24-09, 06:03 AM   #83
Fenixs
Watch

Downloads: 14

awesome mod... but if i want to use the coloured marks in the attack periscope to find AOB... what i have to do?

... and.... please, put the compass that appear in the map (F5) when i do zoom into my sub icon. (the compass around the little circle (GWX3))

Last edited by Fenixs; 02-24-09 at 06:16 AM.
Fenixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 05:25 PM   #84
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Location: Pretty close to the big german cruiser Blücher in Norway
Downloads: 29

I'm playing without manual targeting, but where is the range to the target displayed in uzo or periscope views?

Love the mod, but can't find the range
kakemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 03:59 AM   #85
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemann
I'm playing without manual targeting, but where is the range to the target displayed in uzo or periscope views?

Love the mod, but can't find the range
The TDC always updates the range, speed and bearing(+aob), you can just read them there. Just keep it on autoupdate and you get the solution when you lock the target. They're actually easier to read in ACM than on the notepad

Mikhayl, kudos for the best interface yet , that quick reference ShipID is brilliant. I've fiddled a bit with it to get it more to my liking, maybe this helps a few guyz:

- in data\menu\olc I renamed SpeedTable.tga to Mines.tga because I use that conversion table a lot. Now i get it if i move the mouse to the top of the map, instead of the mines map.
- in data\Menu\Gui I modified the periscope.tga to change the chronometer background to look more like the U-jagd one. What i did was just copy/paste the Ujagd one over and scaled it into position. I can't see the seconds numbers but I can see their markings, so it's the best of both worlds. I also had to modify the little black circle around the minute line. Took me 2 minutes to do it. IMO it's beter to leave it as it is and just use the wiz-wheel.
- in data\Menu\Gui\Units there are 3 tga files UnitSub.tga, UnitSubL.tga and UnitSubM.tga that represent your sub on the map. I've changed these to blank images (blank alpha channels) because I use the Real Navigation mod. You can change one of these with the bearing tga from the OLC 'Gold' mod, I think it's \data\Menu\Gui\MapTarget.tga, but I'm not sure, hope this helps.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 03-17-09 at 11:22 AM.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:43 PM   #86
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

I'm practicing manual targeting now and I just started using this mod a few days ago. Great interface and great mod.

One question though:
Do you still have to double mast heights when finding the range?

I've been looking through this thread and at first you needed to double mast heights, then Mikhayl stated in a reply that he may adjust the ring so you don't have to. I'm assuming that you do not have to double the mast height. There is no x2 by the mast height.
I played around with it yesterday and got a little confused and frustrated and needed a break.

Thanks.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 10:16 PM   #87
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

This thing rocks, this reminds me back to the old flight sim days nose deep doing monkey math and all hahhaa aint going back to sh4 until something like this is out for it good job mat

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 09:41 PM   #88
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default About the mastheads.

I was a bit confused myself about the double mast height issue. This mod was the first that introduced me to the U-Jagd tools, so it took me time to figure it out. Even though I've never missed a shot for closing targets (I don't fire at weird angles) I can't guarantee 100% that this is the way Mikhayl intended it to work, but here is my method.

1. Establish a perpendicular course to the target. My method is to look at the target, decide on a rough AOB, enter it in the dial, then move the periscope left or right untill the AOB dial shows the proper 90 degrees. Then just order a change to that heading. The beauty of this is that u can then check if the AOB on the dial coresponds with the ship as it closes. Before firing, i never need to move it for more than 5-10 degrees.
2. Get very very close. I'm only using electric torpedoes so anything over 2000m away is a coin flip (1000m max if I use magnetic detonator). If u can manage to keep a ship at around 45-60 degrees for long enough u can practically eye-sight when to stop closing.
3. Stop the boat completely and figure out the speed using the chronometer.
4. When the ship is at about 30 degrees u should be able to figure out the range without any calculation as most ships that u'll sink have between 20-25 m in height.
- 1 mark (2 degrees) = 4000m
- 2 marks (4 degrees) = 2000m
- 4 marks (8 degrees) = 1000m
Just in case u want to be exact about it u can use the U-Jagd tool but I found out that errors in speed estimation are balanced by errors in range estimation. I usually end up with a 12-13 degrees high ship and just set the trop to 600-700m.
However, this is the proper method (tested, and tested, and tested, with the mission editor):
- line up the number of degrees (good luck getting a good fix on that ) with the TOP of the circle (the 100 mark, not the 66 mark as U-Jagd manual stated)
- DOUBLE the mast. Yeap, u need to double it. You'll usually get between 40-50m as a result. Find that value on the outer ring and u'll see the range on the middle ring.
- in case you need to figure out the AOB, forget about it. I've never managed to do it with the OLC version of U-Jagd. And it's even more imprecise than an eye-estimate.

I don't like exact calcuations however because they give u a false sense of precision. Which leads to weird 45 degrees "moving away" shots in rough weather and lots of Loading screens. Now when i think about that bloody Notepad and the old rangefinder I can't help but laugh :rotfl:.
Old 05-05-09, 07:00 AM   #89
karamazovnew
The Old Man

By the way, this interface mod is the only one that always shows the TDC settings on the periscope screen, even when TDC autoupdate is turned ON. In ether words it's the first time that i see the dials moving when i move the periscope. This, coupled with my preety good understanding of the Fast 90 technique inspired me to a preety quick method of firing and interception. I've put it here, tell me what you think

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151431
Old 05-05-09, 10:09 AM   #90
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
By the way, this interface mod is the only one that always shows the TDC settings on the periscope screen, even when TDC autoupdate is turned ON. In ether words it's the first time that i see the dials moving when i move the periscope. This, coupled with my preety good understanding of the Fast 90 technique inspired me to a preety quick method of firing and interception. I've put it here, tell me what you think

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151431
thats exactly the reason i made the dragable tdc !(and you can see it in every screen...not only in periscope screen). as it is now ,its made for olc gui 127 but it is possible to be made for every gui.
see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=145636
you are in the right way,

bye
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote