SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-08, 02:19 PM   #1
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default Resolution Fix?

Does anyone know if the "Resolution Fix" from the MODs page works on Vista? It says that it's for XP-SP2 but I just thought I'd see if anyone had tried it before I mess up my career... I'd just like to be able to play at full 1440x900 and I'm tired of seeing my "round" gauges in the shape of eggs. Oh - and will it work with GWX2.1?

GWX3.0 - SH3Commander - Thomsen's Sounds Pack - Manos Env Pro - Hitman's Optics - RB's UBoat Flags - Waterstream & Exhaust CombiMOD - Torpedo Damage Final - DiD
AMD Phenom II x6, 16GB DDR3, 2x NVidia GTX460 1GB, WIN7 64bit
YukonJack_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 05:05 PM   #2
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack_AK
Does anyone know if the "Resolution Fix" from the MODs page works on Vista? It says that it's for XP-SP2 but I just thought I'd see if anyone had tried it before I mess up my career... I'd just like to be able to play at full 1440x900 and I'm tired of seeing my "round" gauges in the shape of eggs. Oh - and will it work with GWX2.1?
works for me with vista 64 bit ultimate + gwx 2.1

Last edited by h.sie; 12-13-08 at 05:05 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 10:04 PM   #3
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Well I tried it... nothing. Can ANYBODY reommend a way to 'bump-up' the resolution in SH3? I would very much like to take advantage of my 19"WS and 1GB NVidia card you know...

GWX3.0 - SH3Commander - Thomsen's Sounds Pack - Manos Env Pro - Hitman's Optics - RB's UBoat Flags - Waterstream & Exhaust CombiMOD - Torpedo Damage Final - DiD
Old 12-13-08, 10:50 PM   #4
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

works on both vista 32 and 64 bit. I'm using it on my two rigs.

Drag and drop the two files to your installed game. Edit the cfg file to the rez you want and run the game. Should work without a sweat.

But like in many games UAC is a big problem.

If your a solo user on your rig and no other accounts are being used disable UAC in your control panel.

Its designed for administrators to control feature and permission for other users. If your the only guy then no need for it.

Vista is picky and you need to do some research to tweak it right.

Once thats done any game can run perfectly. Well assuming their bugs are fixed. :hmm:

http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

and

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
Old 12-14-08, 06:05 AM   #5
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

So after I edit the d3d9.cfg file for the resolution I want - where do I put it? In the base SH3 directory or in Windows' DirectX folder? I assume that goes for the .dll file as well?

Old 12-14-08, 09:45 AM   #6
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack_AK
So after I edit the d3d9.cfg file for the resolution I want - where do I put it? In the base SH3 directory or in Windows' DirectX folder? I assume that goes for the .dll file as well?
You put it into the installed SH3 folder.

C:\.....\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 3\.....HERE.
Old 12-14-08, 09:57 AM   #7
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

I don't have Vista, but in XP SP2 or SP3, the fix also requires some additional tweaking using the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit (see the instructions in the community manual).

No idea if that's necessary to get the the fix to work in Vista, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by VikingGrandad; 12-14-08 at 09:57 AM.
VikingGrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 02:11 AM   #8
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Danke sehr viel meine Kaleuns! I did get it to work and I must say it looks fantastic! GWX's Expanded Damage MOD looks 100x better at 1440x900 let alone just the ships themselves! Viele Viele Danke!!!

Old 12-15-08, 03:07 AM   #9
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGrandad
I don't have Vista, but in XP SP2 or SP3, the fix also requires some additional tweaking using the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit (see the instructions in the community manual).

No idea if that's necessary to get the the fix to work in Vista, but thought it was worth mentioning.

with Xp Sp2 i had to do the above mentioned tweaking, but with vista 64 it worked without that.
Old 05-13-09, 11:11 PM   #10
Bernbaum
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hi,

I know I'm bumping an old thread, and this is my first post here, but I am a new owner of SH3 (Vanilla) and I can't get the resolution fix to work, despite following the instructions to the letter.

I am running XP 32 bit SP3 and have SH3 on Steam, and am able to get to all the directories where I need to make changes.

I have dumped the .dll and .cfg into the '/silent hunter 3' directory, but the moment those files are sitting there in that folder, the program won't launch properly and I get an error report. I then try doing the compatibility tweak in Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5, following the given instructions, but when I go to 'test' it, I get the same error message I got before.

I am looking forward to playing SH3 in high-res and am currently downloading the GWX 3.0 mod. Any help that anyone would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Bernbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 02:36 AM   #11
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernbaum View Post
I am running XP 32 bit SP3 and have SH3 on Steam
That there is your problem.

Try this location:

C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3

Welcome to Subsim.
Old 05-14-09, 12:15 PM   #12
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86

I've tried installing this,and it works,things in the office look sharper,the emblems in the specials section look cleaner and are more detailed,but when I go to start a patrol,the red load bar works its way across until its nearly done and then........CTD
Do I need to use this Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5 thats mentioned do I need to use the d3d9 cfg and dll parts of the mod I'm using Windows XP32 & SP3,I'm determined to get this working,even if it drives me madwhich it most probably will
Old 05-14-09, 11:45 PM   #13
StarLion45
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Maybe this Nikbear

Hi Nikbear

Try this , and don't give up

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1092

StarLion45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 08:36 AM   #14
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

I have tried several times to add the resolution fix, but I can't get it to work. In fact a strange thing happens: my computer resolution reverts to 1024x768 and I have to reset it to 1440x900. I changed the resolution in the d3d8.cfg file and I tried changing the resolution in the main.cfg file from 1024x800, both to 1440x900.
As soon as the game starts to load, I get a flash of a dos window in 1024x768 and then the game loads in that resolution, and my computer reverts to that resolution when the game exits.
I have Vista 64 and NVIDEA GEFORCE 9800M GTS with the latest driver (8.15.11.8585)
Another strange thing happens: my frame rate is cut by about 75%.
This is really too bad, as I have a Samsung 48" LCD HDTV and; of course, the resolution of 1024x768 doesn't do it justice. SH4 plays at 1440x900 and looks terrific; unfortunately, the game sucks.
Old 05-15-09, 03:33 PM   #15
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Ok, I do not know where you guys are going wrong, perhaps your GFX card is interfering. Are there any resolution settings within your respective GFX Control Panels that could affect this mod?

To prove the mod works, I ran a couple of tests tonight. FYI my monitor native resolution is 1920 x 1080, using XP Pro SP3 and an aging Ati X800 Pro AGP GFX card.

Sorry they're rather big.

1440 x 900 first:

1920 x 1080 next:

Not only does this prove that the Res Fix work (without the need for the MS Compat Tool) but it also proves that SH3 looks like sh*te in widescreen.

Keep at it, the most obvious thing is usually the answer.