SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-15, 05:51 PM   #1
bottomcrawler
Mate

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Submarine anchors - used when and where?

Last year, I saw a photo of a submarine from below, and the caption said that it showed the submarine's anchor!

It had never occurred to me before that subs have anchors, but apparently they do.

Now, when and where do subs anchor? Are they used routinely or just for emergencies?

I can't imagine that dropping and retreiving an anchor can ever be anywhere near silent.
bottomcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 06:00 PM   #2
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Maybe something similar, but when I was in the Coast Guard we had a sea anchor on our ship when the ocean was too deep for a regular anchor.

We only used it once, and maybe just because the Captain was bored. It was used for the same reason you'd use a regular anchor, just to hang out in one spot without engines idling.
Old 06-16-15, 06:20 PM   #3
bottomcrawler
Mate

Downloads: 15

What I'm referring to are definitely proper anchors, intended to catch on the bottom.

And I know what anchors are for, just not how subs use them (they're, after all, a bit different from surface vessels in many ways).
bottomcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 09:12 AM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

As it was told to me during my qualification process (on an Ohio class) We only had one because of coast guard requirements. The only time we ever used it was in drydock, to make sure it worked.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 10:43 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

While looking up 'submarines at anchor' I came across this long forgotten gem with great pictures. http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08023.htm How stupid am I; you cant really see a sub's anchor when it's anchored anyway.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 07:00 PM   #6
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Why not the same reason that ship uses them? Anchoring in a harbor, for example when there are no slips available.
Old 09-24-16, 02:04 PM   #7
to the mark
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
cool dropping the anchor

When a diesel submarine is on maneuvering watch, the anchor manifold is manned so the anchor can be dropped in case of an emergency, other times the anchor might be dropped off shore just to keep the boat in place, for whatever reason, I actually served on a diesel submarine and saw this happen under both scenarios
to the mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 02:52 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

to the mark!https://www.quora.com/Does-the-submarine-have-an-anchor! Indeed!Baleo's do and so do VII-C/41's

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-24-16 at 03:04 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 07:43 AM   #9
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

The only times I remember us using the anchor were when we anchored out in Bermuda and Nassau.

My U297 build thread
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:25 PM   #10
billofat
Nub

Downloads: 2

We would anchor out sometimes (rarely!) on the SSN's I served aboard. The trick was to ensure we had sternway on when dropping the hook ... otherwise you run the risk of dinging the rudder and possibly the screw.
billofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:29 PM   #11
billofat
Nub

Downloads: 2

Here's a picture of USS Phoenix (SSN-702) anchored out at Nassau ... note the black "anchor" ball dayshape flying from the sail.
1[/IMG]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200482600081046&set=g.17642919199 0&type=1&theater&ifg=1
billofat is offline   Reply With Quote