SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-15, 04:46 AM   #241
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

^Rubbish article.

My PC at home running Win7 64 Ultimate with Auto-Update on and that Win 10 upgrade icon in my system tray for ages and I have no such folder.

My PC at work running Win8.1, Auto-Update on and that Win10 icon in the tray since the start and again there's no such folder in my drive.

My Dad's laptop same thing Win7 Home, Auto-Update on, the Win10 icon and no folder.

afaik it only gets you the files if you reserved or signed for the upgrade beforehand, even if you haven't opted to make the move to win10 yet.
Now the Article explains that the users reported that they didn't but I've got 3 PC's and on neither of them I signed, clicked or pushed a button within the Win10 Icon and do not have the sneaked in mystery folder on any of the drives. (Though by now I've removed that update that brough the icon on my own computer as I got sick of that stupid pop up each time I booted up, I may make the move someday but for now I'm still wait&see and do not need a pop up to remind me of it's existence)

Also I like how it moans about ''people with data caps'' running into trouble of running through their limit thus slowing their Internet, I've got one question for these people ''Why on earth do you have Auto-Update enabled?'' If you run internet with a limit the first thing you'll be doing is disable everything that keeps your stuff up-to-date automatically.
Old 09-14-15, 05:25 PM   #242
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
^Rubbish article.
And if you want some proof of that, read this:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/o...bits-computers
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 12:45 PM   #243
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

I'm with HunterICX I had the icon showing on my base Computer for a long time
and no downloaded file appeared on my hard drives.
I then selected reserve my copy of Windows 10 or something like that and still no files.
I was then told that my copy of Windows 10 was ready so I selected let's start it then said
Windows is loading in the back ground but I selected let's start now this opened up the updates screen.
At this point windows 10 files started to be saved to my hard drive.
I don't know if for some reason people are confusing the icons files that also contain a program to make sure your
Computer can run Windows 10 as these so called "files"
Old 09-19-15, 01:09 PM   #244
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with sh3, whenever I choose a folder in my E drive, I get a pop up sayin that this folder is not complete or invalid. What can I do to fix this?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-15, 06:15 AM   #245
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

How To Get Rid Of That Dam Windows 10 Upgrade Icon and Files
(If You Have Them On Your System)

Firstly Click the start menu and then select the Windows Update option.
Once on the Update page Select the view update history on the left hand side of the page.
At the top of the page you will see a "Review your update history" section within this section you will see the words "installed updates" highlighted in the text click on this.
Once you are in the Uninstall an Update screen scroll down until you find the entry which reads "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)" just click this then click Uninstall and there you go or rather there it goes.
After a restart the icon will be gone however to make sure it stays gone click the start menu and then again open Windows update look down any available Update for the file "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)"
Then right click it and select Hide Update then if you change your mind and want it back as you miss it so much you can just select restore hidden updates which is also available within the Widows update option.
So there you go peace of mind about that nasty little Windows 10 update .
Old 09-28-15, 03:14 PM   #246
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

DragonRider, that's the way to remove the first nagware/spyware installation but there have been more since. As far as Microsoft is concerned this is not an update that you have a right to refuse. I found and publicized your method the very day the nagware/spyware taskbar malware came out. However on my machine the icon and spyware are back in spite of the fact that KB3035583 is uninstalled and hidden from future installation. Hows that for thumbs up "peace of mind in our time?" That's pure fiction.

Not only will the nagware return, but Microsoft is installing the objectionable parts of Windows 10, the spyware, into Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Further, it's very likely that without your knowledge or consent, Microsoft has downloaded the entirety of Window's 10, over 4 GB, onto your computer !

Microsoft is not concerned with respecting our rights, choices, preferences or consent. They just don't care how offensive their thuggish behavior is. That is troubling.

The trouble with GWX is that it is a trojan horse, executing encrypted instructions sent to it by Microsoft. Some have all the Windows 10 files downloaded to their computer, in spite of the fact that they refused the upgrade. Some, who want Windows 10 (God help them for they know not what they do) do not have the files on their machines. Some, like me, who eliminated the first installation of GWX, have it back again against their wills. What Microsoft's motivation is, besides insulting its customers and asking to be prosecuted for conversion, is unfathomable. If they were to brainstorm a strategy by an enemy to make them a hated entity, this would be the method. Microsoft is demonstrating utter contempt for its customers. They deserve our distrust.

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remov...nd-windows-8-x
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/mic...and-8-systems/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...to-windows-7-8
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windo...ivacy-settings
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

Read carefully. Make up your own mind. Windows 10 is malware, originated for the purpose of exploiting you.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-28-15 at 03:54 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 06:02 PM   #247
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 09-29-15, 07:06 AM   #248
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
DragonRider, that's the way to remove the first nagware/spyware installation but there have been more since. As far as Microsoft is concerned this is not an update that you have a right to refuse. I found and publicized your method the very day the nagware/spyware taskbar malware came out. However on my machine the icon and spyware are back in spite of the fact that KB3035583 is uninstalled and hidden from future installation. Hows that for thumbs up "peace of mind in our time?" That's pure fiction.

Not only will the nagware return, but Microsoft is installing the objectionable parts of Windows 10, the spyware, into Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Further, it's very likely that without your knowledge or consent, Microsoft has downloaded the entirety of Window's 10, over 4 GB, onto your computer !

Microsoft is not concerned with respecting our rights, choices, preferences or consent. They just don't care how offensive their thuggish behavior is. That is troubling.

The trouble with GWX is that it is a trojan horse, executing encrypted instructions sent to it by Microsoft. Some have all the Windows 10 files downloaded to their computer, in spite of the fact that they refused the upgrade. Some, who want Windows 10 (God help them for they know not what they do) do not have the files on their machines. Some, like me, who eliminated the first installation of GWX, have it back again against their wills. What Microsoft's motivation is, besides insulting its customers and asking to be prosecuted for conversion, is unfathomable. If they were to brainstorm a strategy by an enemy to make them a hated entity, this would be the method. Microsoft is demonstrating utter contempt for its customers. They deserve our distrust.

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remov...nd-windows-8-x
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/mic...and-8-systems/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...to-windows-7-8
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windo...ivacy-settings
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

Read carefully. Make up your own mind. Windows 10 is malware, originated for the purpose of exploiting you.
Dear Sir I am sorry to read you are still having trouble with the Windows 10 Icon and Files.
I myself have not had any return of the icon however after reading your post I decided to recheck my own system.
The hard drive usage has not increased more than 30mb which is a download I did today.
Ok lets dig down a bit No C:\Windows\syswow64\gwx files found.
And maybe the amd64 files nope all say empty and ah wow64_microsoft-windows-gwx 31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18915_none_18f3f42da140f bf8 this is an empty folder as all the folders in the group are.
Ok lets research a bit here is say that if you did install Windows 10 and the rolled back to what you were using before this can leave Windows 10 files on your system.
And also if you said yes to the upgrade but then never let it finish the install that also leave the files on your system.
Well I hope you get it fixed but for now my system is still clear of Windows 10
Old 10-01-15, 08:45 AM   #249
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Is anyone getting Microsoft pop up windows banging on about Win10 saying I should upgrade? I'm getting fed up seeing these pop ups badgering me to get Win10.

I will make my own mind up thank you, I don't need MS trying it on.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 08:54 AM   #250
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Resistence is futile.
You will be assimilated.

As you have probably read, the Win 10 'proposal' became a bit intrusive on my Win 7 system, while installing updates for Win 10. It screwed up the existing installation, and no restore point was able to fix that. I succumbed and all my data and anything i am and own, now belongs to Microsoft.
I feel sooo fine, it is all very nice here.

There maybe a method to stop this Win 10 installation ..'proposal, but make sure you have a backup (or iso, is the best) or at least some system restore points, before you try any of those tricks.
You have to uninstall some special update (kb numbers provided on the 'net), and then flag it to not appear again, but you also have to remove some bits here and there, otherwise it will just reinstall all after the next syste start, and you have the same problem again.

I did not succeed, but others did

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 09:07 AM   #251
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Is anyone getting Microsoft pop up windows banging on about Win10 saying I should upgrade? I'm getting fed up seeing these pop ups badgering me to get Win10.

I get the pop up every day or so but keep selecting the reschedule option.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 01:11 PM   #252
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I get the pop up when starting my work computer. I can not move to 10 on my work computer as our programs are not compatible as yet. I think we have to July to make final installation?
Old 10-02-15, 03:52 AM   #253
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post

Remove Update KB3035583 from the installed updates list in the Add/Remove programs list in Windows.

Then after restart if it prompts that, after that go to Windows update allow it to scan for Updates then you'll see the KB3035583 update being listed, right click it and tell it to Hide Update and it should never install again automaticly.
Old 10-03-15, 05:55 PM   #254
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Remove Update KB3035583 from the installed updates list in the Add/Remove programs list in Windows.

Then after restart if it prompts that, after that go to Windows update allow it to scan for Updates then you'll see the KB3035583 update being listed, right click it and tell it to Hide Update and it should never install again automaticly.
Done, I also switched my updates to tell me first so I can decide what to install.

I also deleted this hidden folder installed on July 10th $Windows.~BT size 6.37 GB (6,850,966,453 bytes) size on disk 4.85 GB (5,210,189,824 bytes) contains 17,010 Files, 3,602 Folders, Attributes Read only. Search the net and the info said this was pre Win10 installation files on stand by ready if I was going to upgrade.

I am not going to upgrade to Win10 and once this PC comes to the end of its life I will not be going with Microsoft anymore. Try something new for a change.

Came across a comment saying how to get rid of KB3035583 as said here plus this..

Quote:
You might want to search for these updates as well
KB3068708, KB3022345, KB3075249,and KB3080149,
and uninstall these as well, as these are the ones
that Microsoft secretly included for Win 7, 8 and 8.1
so it can upload stuff to Microsoft just like Win 10 does.
I have all four on my system and a quick search seems to point to Microsoft gathering info spying, true or false?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 10-04-15 at 04:47 AM.
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 10:30 AM   #255
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Upgraded to W10 yesterday and added Classic Shell and set Google as default search engine....no problems thus far.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows