SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-07, 11:42 AM   #151
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix3000
Hi RacerBoy, thanks for the rpely.

I've located a couple of sources on the web for naval distress flares. The first was originally introduced in 1959, reaches approx. 350m and burns red for 40+ seconds:

http://www.sailgb.com/p/parachute_rocket/

The second is more modern, burns orange (but same principle as red) and burns for approximately 20+ seconds:

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data...tion/gr/15.htm

Personally, I would reduce the current size of the flare itself by about a third, and leave a slight glow around it - too much and it won't look right in daytime.

As for the reflection on the sea, at a height of over 350 metres there wouldn't be much surface reflection on a rolling sea. Perhaps a few flecks of dark red here and there as the light catches the swell.

Cheers!
Px3000
Great information! What I'll do is eliminate the surface reflection that I added already. I'll also make the flare about 1/2 it's current size. I'll make it a little more red also.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 11:51 AM   #152
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I confirmed that the damage files for the Mosquito, Beaufighter and Wildcat are missing. Alsoo the Dolphin sounds.

WildcatGr airplane Damaged.wav
Mosquitos airplane damaged.wav
Beaufight airplane damaged.wav
Dolphin_mix.wav
Dolphin_hyd.wav

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 12:02 PM   #153
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default flares

How can I increase the time the flares stay lighted in the sky,, I love that effect
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 12:42 PM   #154
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
you're using v2.021 and this happened?
Im using the one from the link you sent me....if that isn't the latest then U owe me an update...LOL
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 01:26 PM   #155
A6Intruder
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwolf
I confirmed that the damage files for the Mosquito, Beaufighter and Wildcat are missing. Alsoo the Dolphin sounds.

WildcatGr airplane Damaged.wav
Mosquitos airplane damaged.wav
Beaufight airplane damaged.wav
Dolphin_mix.wav
Dolphin_hyd.wav

I have also no sounds for Wildcat/Martlet and Mosquito (havn`t seen an Beautfighter so far) in WAC.
Kind regards
A6Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 01:59 PM   #156
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Uploads: 12

I have a small question. Is it possible that the sound of the big fires does not stop as suddenly as it does at the moment? A burning ship sounds really great, however, as soon as the ship sinks below the waterline the sound stops very abruptly. It would be really great if the sound would 'fade out'.

Anyway, thanks for the really great work!

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 02:24 PM   #157
Kar
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
by chance can you send me the files for this ship?
Its in this pack http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...split+merchant
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 04:26 PM   #158
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1
I have a small question. Is it possible that the sound of the big fires does not stop as suddenly as it does at the moment? A burning ship sounds really great, however, as soon as the ship sinks below the waterline the sound stops very abruptly. It would be really great if the sound would 'fade out'.

Anyway, thanks for the really great work!

Cheers, LGN1
that along with the smoke from oil fires, well all fires actually, ending abruptly is something I'm trying to fix also.
Old 10-31-07, 04:27 PM   #159
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondawg
Quote:
you're using v2.021 and this happened?
Im using the one from the link you sent me....if that isn't the latest then U owe me an update...LOL
in your mods folder does it say Racerboy_SH4_effects_for_SH3_2_02 or 2_021? If not 2_021 then go to post #1 of this thread for an update
Old 11-01-07, 06:28 AM   #160
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

Hi RacerBoy, glad the info on the flares was helpful. Looking forward to seeing the result!

One other thing, and apologies if this has already been asked, but do you know how to mod the speed of sounds reaching your sub?

For example, right now you can fire a shell at a merchant, say at 2000m, you hear the hit immediately. In real-life there would be a 2-3 second pause before you heard it strike.

I'm not sure if you have played Steelbeasts Pro PE, but this aspect is modelled in there very well. I no longer have SH4 installed on my system (much prefer SH3 GWX!), so can't recollect if it was implemented in that game. It's worth checking out a couple of Steelbeasts Pro videos on youtube and watch a battle taking place, the sound distancing is done very well.

Anyway, thought I would just put that idea out there...

Cheers!
Px3000

Last edited by Phoenix3000; 11-01-07 at 06:51 AM.
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 07:17 AM   #161
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Hi RacerBoy, glad the info on the flares was helpful. Looking forward to seeing the result!

One other thing, and apologies if this has already been asked, but do you know how to mod the speed of sounds reaching your sub?

For example, right now you can fire a shell at a merchant, say at 2000m, you hear the hit immediately. In real-life there would be a 2-3 second pause before you heard it strike.

I'm not sure if you have played Steelbeasts Pro PE, but this aspect is modelled in there very well. I no longer have SH4 installed on my system (much prefer SH3 GWX!), so can't recollect if it was implemented in that game. It's worth checking out a couple of Steelbeasts Pro videos on youtube and watch a battle taking place, the sound distancing is done very well.

Anyway, thought I would just put that idea out there...

Cheers!
Px3000
Look for a mod called Averge Joes torpedo and deck gun speed of sound, it has delayed torpedo and gun sound hits.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Old 11-01-07, 09:18 AM   #162
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

Thanks Samwolf, I'll dig around and install it. See how it fares.

Question though, does it only work on the torpedo impact and gun sound, or all effects? Now that we have these extra sounds with the SH4 to SH3 mod by RB, like the secondary explosions, are they manged by it as well?

Cheers
Px3000
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 09:32 AM   #163
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

As far as I remember, the mod simply replaces some sounds files. The new versions of the files have a second or two of silence before the appropriate sound, meaning that you always get a fixed delay. It's not linked to distance in any way, unfortunately, so even if you hit a ship at point-blank range you'll get a delay in the sound, identical to if you hit a ship at 6km!

I think it's the best compromise possible in SH3 since the engine doesn't seem to have the doppler effect built in to it - I'll be astounded if somebody could somehow include it, and lately anything seems possible!

Same for aircraft unfortunately - the pitch of the engine sound varies depending on the angle you are viewing it from, rather than the speed it's approaching or receding from the camera position. Very unrealistic effect when using the , and . view keys to jump to aircraft (or when viewing in the museum), but when aboard the bridge of your boat you can't tell the difference. It's a fudged effect but works fine during gameplay.
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 10:20 AM   #164
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm
As far as I remember, the mod simply replaces some sounds files. The new versions of the files have a second or two of silence before the appropriate sound, meaning that you always get a fixed delay. It's not linked to distance in any way, unfortunately, so even if you hit a ship at point-blank range you'll get a delay in the sound, identical to if you hit a ship at 6km!

I think it's the best compromise possible in SH3 since the engine doesn't seem to have the doppler effect built in to it - I'll be astounded if somebody could somehow include it, and lately anything seems possible!

Same for aircraft unfortunately - the pitch of the engine sound varies depending on the angle you are viewing it from, rather than the speed it's approaching or receding from the camera position. Very unrealistic effect when using the , and . view keys to jump to aircraft (or when viewing in the museum), but when aboard the bridge of your boat you can't tell the difference. It's a fudged effect but works fine during gameplay.
there is a doppler effect setting.....I'll play around with it...:hmm:
Old 11-01-07, 10:36 AM   #165
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Thanks Samwolf, I'll dig around and install it. See how it fares.

Question though, does it only work on the torpedo impact and gun sound, or all effects? Now that we have these extra sounds with the SH4 to SH3 mod by RB, like the secondary explosions, are they manged by it as well?

Cheers
Px3000
I believe it's only the torpedo and gun sounds.

Here's the readme:

Avg.Joe's Torpedo and Deckgun Speed of Sound Explosions delay VERSION 1.2
SEE V1.2 MOD CHANGE INFO BELOW.
Made for SH3 version 1.4
October 21, 2005

This is a Silent Hunter III (v1.4) sound-delay mod, which changes 6 things:
1. After a torpedo has hit a target, there is an approximate 2-second delay, before any explosion sound(s) will be heard.

2. After a target has been hit with 88mm/105mm deckgun, there is an approximate 1.75 second delay, before any shell-strike sound is heard.

3. The main torpedo explosion .wav file (P11_@ref_torp_great_explosion.wav), has been modified/mixed a bit, to cause a bit more dramatic explosion sound.

***4. The default deckgun .wav file (P09_$Gun_muzzle_flash.wav) has been changed, to make the gun-sound more dramatic, also changed in verison 1.2

5. Several explosions are a bit louder than default, and also mixed with other (minor) explosion wave-files, to create (hopefully) more dramatic explosion sounds.

_____ V1.2 MOD CHANGE INFO: ________
====================================
====================================
~Added 'initial' explosion/rumbling sound, with minor/short sound-delay.~
[v1.2 change] This version contains a very short-delay (approx. .6 seconds) 'initial' explosion sound, when a torpedo hits a target. The explosion is a low, 'rumbling' sound, heard almost immediately after a torpedo explosion. Now you will to hear a 'submerged-like' explosion sound, which would naturally occur more quickly, compared to a surface-attack explosion. Although this changed rumbling sound is audible during surface-attacks too.

Version 1.0 does not contain this 'initial' rumbling/explosion sound change, nor the following new changes for Version 1.2:

a.) New type deck-gun sound.
b.) New sound when deck-gun shell hits a target (minor change).
c.) Changed torpedo explosion sound, (now a double-explosion, typically heard during a fuel or engine hit) when a target is destroyed immediately following a torpedo-hit, or if a ship explodes while sinking.

(*** WARNING: there are several deckgun sound-mods already available. If you are already using a deckgun-mod, please listen to the modified deckgun sound enclosed, to see if you prefer it.
If you do not prefer this deckgun sound, simply delete the file:
'P09_$Gun_muzzle_flash.wav' contained in this mod, then install as usual.***)
If you remove the deckgun file above, there will be no (modified) sound-delay when using the deckgun.

If installing manually, all files must be copied to your SH3\data\sounds folder. Be sure to *Backup* your original/default files or this mod will overwrite default sounds, if installed manually.
This mod is best used (most realistically) with surface-attacks, as the speed of sound is approx. 345mps traveling through air. Btw, submerged sound-delays aren't very realistic using this mod, yet, SH3's 'stock-file' submerged explosions are not realistic either.

After tinkering with this mod for quite a while, a submerged torpedo-attack (with sound-delay) also 'looks' dramatic. Visually it looks quite different, compared to stock torpedo explosions.

Since SH3 was not made with separate sound-files, for submerged -&- surfaced torpedo attacks, this mod is a 'compromise' of how a torpedo explosion would sound, while surfaced.

Sh3 also does not calculate distance-to-target, regarding explosions. Default Sh3 torpedo and deckgun sounds are 'instantaneous', no matter what distance. Also, Sh3's torpedo explosions (while submerged) always sound as if the sub was actually surfaced, which is a limit of the game.

Sound delay length?:

Because SH3 will accept only 1 value for each explosion file, I had to figure out generic 'average-default' sound delays.

After reading many SH3 war-stories, and testing lots of different length sound-delays, I finally went with speed-of-sound delays of approx. 2 seconds. This is fairly accurate of a torpedo hitting a target at a distance of approx. 7/800 meters, while surfaced.

So, if a torpedo hits a target at 4000-meters, the explosion sound-delay will still be approx. 2 seconds. There's no practical way to set different sound delays, for different target distances.

Using this delay value (2 seconds) I found no real need to modify sound-files for Hydrophone explosion sounds, as speed-of-sound in water is so much faster, compared to air.

I hope you enjoy this mod. Sound-wise I think it adds some 'drama' to any torpedo/deckgun explosions. 'Visually' speaking, it is quite different (kind of an eerie look!) compared to SH3's stock explosion files.

p.s. Why not mod the explosion delay to 3 or 4, 5+ seconds, instead of approx. 2 seconds? I tested longer-delay explosions. Anything above 2 seconds seemed to last far too long, for how an SH3 torpedo hits its target, and typical close-range/submerged attacks. The delay is a compromise for any/all ranges of attack.
THIS MOD IS FREEWARE
THIS MOD MUST NOT BE SOLD!
Average Joe (can be found in Subsim.com SH3 forums)

I've been using this mod since it came out.