SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-08, 02:14 PM   #3241
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This sounds like a very old bug that was sorted a long way back.....what version of GWX are you using and what external mods have you installed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 02:15 PM   #3242
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
then had to dive to periscope depth to try to evade a 4 stacker destroyer. I TRIED to load my external storage torpedos which disappeared! So I twisted and turned (with 5 feet under my keel) until I lost him and went home

You cannot load from external tubes submerged

Ok what other mods are you running ?

When you CTD to desktop you are faced with this screen

Click on the blue text " click here "
And you will get this screen

Have highlighted the error - simdata.dll in this case
Next time you CTD can you post the error
simact.dll
kernel.dll
sh3exe etc

Helps narrow down the problems

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 04:23 PM   #3243
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's funny: I get that "Encountered a problem and needs to close" message every time I play...right after I exit the game.:rotfl:

It's never caused me any problems, so I've always ignored it.
Old 02-18-08, 05:17 PM   #3244
Rasher
Gunner

Downloads: 43
Default TC and Fatigue

Hi

Since I've started using GWX 2.0, I've noticed that TC is so slow it makes the game too slow to enjoy. I spend ages waiting for the boat to get out of the Kiel Canal then it only speeds up once imn out in the ocean. Near land the game really crawls. Does anyone know a way to speed the TC up or make it smoother? Also does anyone know a good fatigue to use, I used Rub x1 as it gave a nice drop in fatigue over long period but only problem was that crewmen didnt recover in quarters. Is there a way to make crewmen recover in their quarters when using Rub x1 Fatigue Config? All answers appreciated as Im now at the point of packing it in. I have changed my hardware from an AMD XP Athlon to a Dual Core Athlon running at 1.6 Ghz and an 8600GT Nvidia Card. Surely game should run faster or is it the upgrade from GWX 1.03?

Thanks

Rasher
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 05:44 PM   #3245
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher
Near land the game really crawls.
SH3 Commander allows you to set time compression near land to any desired value Mate...it also allows several variations of crew fatigue management...give it a try.
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 07:36 PM   #3246
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher
Also does anyone know a good fatigue to use, I used Rub x1 as it gave a nice drop in fatigue over long period but only problem was that crewmen didnt recover in quarters. Is there a way to make crewmen recover in their quarters when using Rub x1 Fatigue Config?
Yes, there is a way to make your crew slowly recover fatigue, but it requires editing some text files. I haven't done this for awhile so I'll have to do some looking around and then get back to you later tonight. It's very easy to do, though, so don't give up just yet!

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 08:50 PM   #3247
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7
Default Try this

Rasher, your computer is very similar to mine (AMD dual core @ 1.8, NVidea 8600GT, 1Gb Ram) so it should run fine without many problems once you get out of the port area. If it is still too slow in port, try using the GWX Lite Harbor mod to decrease the air and sea traffic.

I found the adjustments for crew fatigue. I will assume you are using SH3 Commander, which makes making the adjustments very easy. Here is the procedure: Navigate to your SH3 Commander\Cfg folder and look for the Crew fatigue models.cfg file and open it with a text editor. Follow the instructions at the top of the file for adding your own fatigue model.

As for specific settings, start out with my settings, which follow. Mine are based on the Rub model instead of the Rub X 1 TC model, but you can try either one. Just copy either Rub or Rub X 1 TC as described at the top of the Crew fatigue models.cfg file and paste it to the end of the file. Number the new model with the last number of the model just above plus 1 and add a new description after Desc= . Finally, copy the following lines over the matching lines of the just copied model:

Code:
CREW_0|FatigueMax=0.75
CREW_0|FatigueStep=0.0175 ;was .02
CREW_1|FatigueMax=0.70
CREW_1|FatigueStep=0.0175
CREW_2|FatigueMax=0.70
CREW_2|FatigueStep=0.0175
CREW_3|FatigueMax=0.65
CREW_3|FatigueStep=0.015 ;was .01
CREW_4|FatigueMax=0.65
CREW_4|FatigueStep=0.015
CREW_5|FatigueMax=0.60
CREW_5|FatigueStep=0.015
CREW_6|FatigueMax=0.65
CREW_6|FatigueStep=0.0125 ;was .015
CREW_7|FatigueMax=0.65
CREW_7|FatigueStep=0.0125
CREW_8|FatigueMax=0.65
CREW_8|FatigueStep=0.0125
The important variable is FatigueStep. In the original Rub models, this variable is set to 0, so the crew never recovers fatigue. I found that setting this value between .0125 and .0175 gave me the best results, but you can tweak them to your own liking (you might want to raise them slightly). By comparison, notice that the stock SH3 values range between .05 and .2

These settings will allow your crew to experience fatigue but then slowly recover if they are regularly rested in quarters. Good luck and let me know how you like these settings.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 09:41 PM   #3248
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I have a 3 Ghz Pentium 4 with only 512MB of RAM, plus a Radeon card, and mine runs reasonably well, only dragging when things get really extreme. I couldn't use the Lite Harbor version - watching the sights in the harbor is what I live for.
Old 02-19-08, 12:17 AM   #3249
lorcan3
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Default problems with GWX 2.0 and torpedos

I'm using GWX 2.0 and I loaded it from Kpt. Lehmans site. I'm ONLY running the GWX 2.0 I tried loading the torps from external storage WHILE on the surface. I did serve in the Navy you know but harpoon cruise missles work much better or torpedos mk 46 mod 0 acoustic .
lorcan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 03:53 AM   #3250
Sirkam
Frogman

Downloads: 9

The missing external reserves torpedoes is a SH3 stock bug, it appears when you load too many torpedoes to the internal reserves. I dont noticed that bug with the GWX 2.0.
Old 02-19-08, 06:59 AM   #3251
rod_oil
Shore leave

Downloads: 60

Hi to all! The first: thank u GWX team !!!!!

The second: I got strong expression that my acoustic hear sail vessels. Am I wrong?:hmm:
rod_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 12:55 PM   #3252
Rasher
Gunner

Downloads: 43
Thanks everyone your replies are appreciated. Especcially SubType Zero

Thing is, I realise that things slow down near land etc but since upgrading my hardware and playing GWX 2.0 and SH3Cmdr 2.7 along with few other mods that the gamne has really slowed down. Even when im well clear of land at 1024 or 2048 TC, the view on the bridge is 1 fps and takes about 1 to 2 seconds to change, Never remember having this problem before. I did mess around with my memory timings and made them slighty slower to gain a more stable machine. Perhaps this has affected the fps? I upgraded my G.Card from 6600GT to an 8600GT. Cant understand why it would be the graphics. Gonna try turning down Anti Alaising or whatever its called. Its at x4 at the momment. As for fatigue Im not sure about turning it off completely. I quite liked rotating the crew now and again. I will try the values you posted STZ.

Cheers

Rasher
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 03:53 PM   #3253
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod_oil

The second: I got strong expression that my acoustic hear sail vessels. Am I wrong?:hmm:
You are correct. We've been unable to remove that quirk. It would seem that it somehow relates to stock SH3 hydrophone behavior.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 04:17 AM   #3254
rod_oil
Shore leave

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod_oil

You are correct. We've been unable to remove that quirk. It would seem that it somehow relates to stock SH3 hydrophone behavior.
Danke, herr Kapitan! I can live with this bug in this case. In other aspect GWX is great work! Dream in reality! Its not a game simulator, its a historic reconstruction now!
rod_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 12:33 AM   #3255
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Now it's my turn to feel like an idiot. I've searched under every category I could, and I know I saw this not long ago, but for the life of me I can't find it now: is there a way to shut the Watch Officer up while in port? I know I can just remove him from his post, but I don't remember him being this annoyingly talkative in the past. Sometimes he'll repeat the same ship over and over.

I'd shoot the guy, but I know his replacement will be just as bad.

[edit] Oops, 'nother question: I've put my favorite Bf-109 skin into the textures folders, and it doesn't show up. How do I fix this?
Sorry your post was missed Steve.

Unfortunately, the yakkity-yakking WO is a stock SH3 issue that occurs when units pass in and out of the "edge of perception" regarding the visual sensors.

The only way to shut him up is to send him below or to silence his voice files... which I do not recommend because you'll need him to verbally notify you out at sea.

(Truth be told... I've gotten so used to him, that I don't really notice anymore, LOL!)

Regarding your Me109 skin... can you upload it for me to look at here? It may not be compatible since we rebuilt the Me109 in SH3. (Otherwise you can just repack the skin file into the dat file for that aircraft and it should function.)

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote